PDA

View Full Version : Going to London for Christmas !

therogerfan
12-21-2008, 03:15 AM
Well, I am going to London for Christmas and it will be my first time there. I've already checked the available sights and the list is a bit too long . I will be staying in London from 25th till 29th of December. I am also going to visit the football match between Chelsea and West Bromwich Albion on 26th. Could you please be so kind to give me an advice, what sights I must definitely see . I don't want to miss anything !!! I am so excited about going there !

SempreSami
12-21-2008, 04:07 AM
Don't go to watch Chelsea then.

BestLefty UK
12-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Yea don't watch Chelsea! Go and watch a good team like Arsenal lol

I'm only kidding. Chelsea vs West brom should be an entertaining match, at least you'll see some goals.
These are the sights you must see:
London eye
Big ben
Madame Tussauds
Buckingham palace
Piccadilly circus
Wimbledon
Westminster abbey

SempreSami
12-21-2008, 04:51 AM
Picadilly Circus isn't all that tbh, go to TATE Modern on the South Bank.

SempreSami
12-21-2008, 04:53 AM
Oh and the Wembley Stadium tour is quite good I hear.

EP1998
12-21-2008, 05:01 AM
Do you need transport information? There is a website called London Toolkit with just about everything. Getting from airport to city is very easy and within the city you can go everyone on the underground.

I agree with the other list - not much to add there. Depends on what you like. The Victoria and Albert has a cold war exhibition that is interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

If it were me, I would also go to Fulham versus Chelsea if you can get a ticket or Arsenal versus Portsmouth or West Ham versus Stoke. But I'm a football fanatic. There's also QPR and Watford which should have good atmosphere though Watford is struggling a bit. I've never watched a match at Loftus Road but they say it is one of the best stadiums, you're practically on the pitch and it is enclosed.

Wear warm clothes (layers) and get a hot drink to have during the game. It really helps.

lovecr717
12-21-2008, 05:03 AM
Don't go to watch Chelsea then.

No, OP should go to Old Trafford and watch Manchester United!! We're the best team !

BestLefty UK
12-21-2008, 05:14 AM
No, OP should go to Old Trafford and watch Manchester United!! We're the best team !

Who's that in your sig?

lovecr717
12-21-2008, 05:24 AM
^ Adriana Lima :D

Teamtomo
12-21-2008, 05:31 AM
I'd say defiantly check out the Museums + they are free admission.The London eye is worth a try as it gives you a big picture of the city (queue's can be quite big though). The London Dungeon is also good fun.

Enjoy your trip!

mozzer
12-21-2008, 07:22 AM
Dont forget your coat, its bloody freezing.

BestLefty UK
12-21-2008, 07:28 AM
Dont forget your coat, its bloody freezing.

Yea man! he's right... you'll have "ice cubes" if you dont

SaunderS
12-21-2008, 07:46 AM
I recommend from my own experience:-
Wimbledon tour
Wembley tour
London Eye
A chelsea or arsenal game
oxford street
piccadilly circus
and a good old ride on the tube!
you have to get the tube, its like 1 pound for a day ticket, where ever you want.

SempreSami
12-21-2008, 07:53 AM
No it isn't, a day travelcard for zone 1 and 2 alone is around £5.

Do you need transport information? There is a website called London Toolkit with just about everything. Getting from airport to city is very easy and within the city you can go everyone on the underground.

I agree with the other list - not much to add there. Depends on what you like. The Victoria and Albert has a cold war exhibition that is interesting if you are into that sort of thing.

If it were me, I would also go to Fulham versus Chelsea if you can get a ticket or Arsenal versus Portsmouth or West Ham versus Stoke. But I'm a football fanatic. There's also QPR and Watford which should have good atmosphere though Watford is struggling a bit. I've never watched a match at Loftus Road but they say it is one of the best stadiums, you're practically on the pitch and it is enclosed.

Wear warm clothes (layers) and get a hot drink to have during the game. It really helps.
Loftus Road is a nice ground, but the surrounding area is a bit of a dump.

BestLefty UK
12-21-2008, 07:55 AM
Oh yea and you must take a ride in a good old black cab

SaunderS
12-21-2008, 08:44 AM
No it isn't, a day travelcard for zone 1 and 2 alone is around £5.

Loftus Road is a nice ground, but the surrounding area is a bit of a dump.

Loftus Road? Are you joking?
Youve got the likes of Stamford Bridge, The Emirates, Wembley and you say Loftus Road, thats bloody Norwich. Go for a better stadium

BestLefty UK
12-21-2008, 09:11 AM
Youve got the likes of Stamford Bridge, The Emirates, Wembley and you say Loftus Road, thats bloody Norwich. Go for a better stadium

Yea your right... When you've such a selection of great stadiums, why go to a cardboard box ;)

Fee
12-21-2008, 11:32 AM
I'd say skip Madame Tussaud's if you are pressed for time. It's interesting and all, but there are more fun things to do.

If you have the energy and want to engage in some people watching, then go to Harrod's and watch humanity swarm for the after Christmas sale. ;) I personally enjoy walking from one end of Oxford Street to the other, but that might be one of my odd quirks.

The London Eye was absolutely worth it (we had a good clear day) and from there you can go to the Tate Art Museum, or walk across the bridge and wander around Parliament and other places. If you are good at sticking to an itinerary, reserve a ticket on the Eye and then reserve a tour of Parliament after that (I loved the tour of Parliament and there is some really good stuff in their gift shop).

Whatever you do, DO NOT eat Fish and Chips in London, you will be disappointed. I dont know why, but they seem to better outside of the City.

Feña14
12-21-2008, 12:13 PM

I'm only kidding. Chelsea vs West brom should be an entertaining match, at least you'll see some goals.

I'm not so sure! With the way teams come to defend these days it can get pretty ugly. You could be right though, West Brom like to play pretty stuff, often to their own detriment so let's hope therogerfan gets to see a bit of a cricket score ;)

SempreSami
12-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Been to Stamford Bridge and the Emirates, both corporate holes.

SaunderS
12-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Would you seriously rather go to a Championship stadium holding 25/30,000 fans, or a 'Top 4' Premier League Stadium hold 45,000/60,000

ilovecarlos
12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Don't miss the Tower of London...the history is fascinating and I always go to see the crown jewels..over and over....

SempreSami
12-23-2008, 03:52 AM
Would you seriously rather go to a Championship stadium holding 25/30,000 fans, or a 'Top 4' Premier League Stadium hold 45,000/60,000
Full of Chewsea rent boys/rugby fans who got lost?

SaunderS
12-23-2008, 03:59 AM
You must be a norwich fan.

SempreSami
12-23-2008, 04:06 AM
What does that make you then?

SaunderS
12-23-2008, 04:07 AM
A true Wiganer.

SempreSami
12-23-2008, 04:09 AM
You didn't even turn up for the play off final in 2000!

SaunderS
12-23-2008, 04:11 AM
We're better than Norwich any day.

SempreSami
12-23-2008, 04:13 AM
You JCL tosser, did you even bother going before you got to the Premiership? You have no idea what I'm talking about do you.

SaunderS
12-23-2008, 04:14 AM
Whats JCL?? all i can say, is that we in the Prem, and you're never gonna get there again.

SempreSami
12-23-2008, 04:15 AM
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=PGceE-6aAuc&feature=related