PDA

View Full Version : Do you tip your letter carrier?

Rickson
12-21-2008, 03:19 PM
Technically, they're not supposed to receive money, but people do it anyway. How many of you slip him or her a little something for the holidays? At least there's no paper trail.

Okazaki Fragment
12-21-2008, 03:29 PM
Iím glad to see the recent downturn hasnít hurt your finances.

No self-respecting federal employee would take a cash tip. I think it is illegal. Can't quote you the exact CFR, though. Anyway, I think gifts (non-cash) under $25 is ok. How about a nice chocolate cake for him and his co-workers?

Dedans Penthouse
12-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Technically, they're not supposed to receive money, but people do it anyway. How many of you slip him or her a little something for the holidays? At least there's no paper trail.
Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night...and they do not get holiday bonuses. Imho, of course you should tip them. Garbage men too. As well as any people you regularly do business with (e.g. butcher, etc.). It's Christmas; tip 'em. And especially "tip" the needy while yer at it.

ilovecarlos
12-21-2008, 03:48 PM
The Letter Carrier, Newspaper deliverer, and UPS driver all get a nice gratuity from me...not only do they usually do an outstanding job duringthe year, when you tip, your service tends to get even better...I find that they really are grateful to be remembered....

ollinger
12-21-2008, 03:51 PM
The garbage man, huh? A tip says "thanks for throwing and wrecking the cans, or perhaps just leaving them in the street to blow away." If he thinks he's underpaid, he can take it up with his employer like everyone else.

Dedans Penthouse
12-22-2008, 07:20 AM
The garbage man, huh? A tip says "thanks for throwing and wrecking the cans, or perhaps just leaving them in the street to blow away." If he thinks he's underpaid, he can take it up with his employer like everyone else.Hey Grumpy, wuzza 'a madda' wit' you? :sad: Not fer nothin' but can ya imagine what they'd do to yer garbage cans if you didn't tip 'em? Be happy those "da union sez!" animals aren't throwing 'em through your living room window!--Bada-Bing!-Bada-Bang!! j/k

Seriously, when I think of for example this morning (9 degrees--wind chill 16 below), I'm glad I'm not 'skating' over ice humping a garbage can over to the back hopper of a packer truck....or having to worry about slipping off that little platform on a rainy/snowy/freezing/brutally hot day while the truck is swinging around the corner at 30 mph. Yeah, they're animals, but at the same time, that's a pretty "no thanks!" job imho. Put it this way: what would you rather be: a garbage man or a TW board moderator?

See what I mean? :-)

ollinger
12-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Sure....there's lots of lousy jobs, but I still don't feel compelled to tip someone I never met and who leaves my stuff down the street. Now if he wants to make me a nice garbage-sculpture that I can sell to The Museum of Modern Art.......