PDA

View Full Version : Do I still have a chance?

Headshotterer
12-23-2008, 02:28 PM
I've been reading others peoples threads and I have finals next week. I am in 10th grade and I have a crap gpa(3.6, 4.0 weighted) that could get even worse because I have a B- in a very tough class and several 92's and 91's in other classes.

People in 10th grade can only take 2 honors classes, no AP's. I know Stanford, Harvard and Ivy Leagues are out of my reach, but I am banking on getting into good UC's such as Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD

I do many extracurriculars and have almost 200 community hours, and I will play varsity tennis hopefully. If I got Straight A's from now on would a Stand a chance for Berkeley or UCLA?

LuckyR
12-23-2008, 02:31 PM
I've been reading others peoples threads and I have finals next week. I am in 10th grade and I have a crap gpa(3.6, 4.0 weighted) that could get even worse because I have a B- in a very tough class and several 92's and 91's in other classes.

People in 10th grade can only take 2 honors classes, no AP's. I know Stanford, Harvard and Ivy Leagues are out of my reach, but I am banking on getting into good UC's such as Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD

I do many extracurriculars and have almost 200 community hours, and I will play varsity tennis hopefully. If I got Straight A's from now on would a Stand a chance for Berkeley or UCLA?

If you can't make the tennis team: No, yes.

Leublu tennis
12-23-2008, 02:45 PM

In my opinion, yes to Cal and UCLA, and I think you short yourself on you qualifications for Stanford (the Harvard of the West) and Ivy league schools. See my post to the other two kids in a similar position. I do have some experience in this regard and would be happy to help with specifics.

Good luck

MTChong
03-31-2012, 07:22 PM

It's difficult to say, but purely from a GPA perspective alone, I'd say Stanford and most Ivies are out. That said, it's hard to say anything too definitive about these private schools as they tend to take a lot more than just numbers into consideration. I don't want to stir up a large debate on the issue, but 'race' (whatever that means...) can play a big factor whether we want to believe it or not.

The UCs, however, are generally easier to predict and depending on how well you do from here on out, I don't think you're out of the running for Berkeley, LA, or UCSD.

I'd worry less and just take things one day at a time; that's the best you can do.

813wilson
04-03-2012, 05:38 AM
It's difficult to say, but purely from a GPA perspective alone, I'd say Stanford and most Ivies are out. That said, it's hard to say anything too definitive about these private schools as they tend to take a lot more than just numbers into consideration. I don't want to stir up a large debate on the issue, but 'race' (whatever that means...) can play a big factor whether we want to believe it or not.

The UCs, however, are generally easier to predict and depending on how well you do from here on out, I don't think you're out of the running for Berkeley, LA, or UCSD.

I'd worry less and just take things one day at a time; that's the best you can do.

Well, given that the thread is more than 3 years old and the OP was in the 10th grade at the time, the more relevant question is:

Where did you end up?

ollinger
04-03-2012, 06:00 AM
The more interesting question is "Where did Chong end up?" with his difficulty understanding the calendar.

gavna
04-03-2012, 06:20 AM
Courious as well - non athlete with a 3.6 and no APs......no way into Cal nor UCLA. My daughter was recruited at Cal and she had 3.7 with a few APs and still had to have a min of a 27 or 28 on her ACT.

MarinaHighTennis
04-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Courious as well - non athlete with a 3.6 and no APs......no way into Cal nor UCLA. My daughter was recruited at Cal and she had 3.7 with a few APs and still had to have a min of a 27 or 28 on her ACT.

I believe he goes to ucsb (Santa Barbara) bc he said he met my friend kevin young there at the summer orientation lolz.

A 3.6 can easily get into a Cal but UC is hard. I've had several friends with 4.4 and did not get into UCI but they were biology majors.. OP must've boosted his GPA to around the 4.0 range or he's not a Bio major

MTChong
04-03-2012, 05:38 PM
The more interesting question is "Where did Chong end up?" with his difficulty understanding the calendar.

Haha, whoops, didn't pay attention to the date on that one!