PDA

View Full Version : The Onion on Roger Federer

35ft6
12-23-2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.theonion.com/content/files/images/federer_redo.article.jpg
Just in case you don't visit The Onion often. I sure don't.

Steady Eddy
12-23-2008, 02:46 PM
"...during longer volleys". :confused: Are they confusing the word rally with volley? People who don't know much about tennis, do that for some reason.

SirBlend12
12-23-2008, 03:33 PM
"...during longer volleys". :confused: Are they confusing the word rally with volley? People who don't know much about tennis, do that for some reason.

^^^ My biggest tennis pet peeve. When I go up to the courts to practice, by myself, on my own terms, people always ask me to hit with them, even when it's blatantly obvious that I don't. Of course, quite often, I cave outta being a nice guy. Then I get out there, and they ask "Do you wanna just volley?" and I cringe, because I realize just then that instead of taking worthwhile time to practice, I've just screwed myself into receiving moonballs that probably won't even come back to me.

If it's a "friend", I usually just say "... sure", but if it's one of those people that believe they are the next Rafa or Roger, I usually respond with "I suppose. I'll just stand at the net and... we'll see what happens."

Sorry for the rant but I really hate when people do that.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
12-23-2008, 03:41 PM
LOL he has weakened knees.

Steady Eddy
12-23-2008, 06:08 PM
^^^ My biggest tennis pet peeve. When I go up to the courts to practice, by myself, on my own terms, people always ask me to hit with them, even when it's blatantly obvious that I don't. Of course, quite often, I cave outta being a nice guy. Then I get out there, and they ask "Do you wanna just volley?" and I cringe, because I realize just then that instead of taking worthwhile time to practice, I've just screwed myself into receiving moonballs that probably won't even come back to me.

If it's a "friend", I usually just say "... sure", but if it's one of those people that believe they are the next Rafa or Roger, I usually respond with "I suppose. I'll just stand at the net and... we'll see what happens."

Sorry for the rant but I really hate when people do that.
Ha ha. No need to apologize, at least to me, I feel the same way. Good point. We don't want to hit w/ someone who says, "Wanna volley?" The other peeve at my courts is the number of people who believe the backcourt isn't part of the playing area, and is only there sort that they can cut across during points, (or during 'volleys' :twisted: ). They can distract before they even step onto the court, because I can tell beforehand when they're going to do that.

slice bh compliment
12-24-2008, 01:16 AM

Yeh, those are the same people who pronounce Wimbledon with a T in it. Innit?

Actually, it's funny, I recall Sampras doing that, too, when he was first winning it. Wimbleton, that is.

slice bh compliment

Yeh, those are the same people who pronounce Wimbledon with a T in it. Innit?

EDITing so it doesn't look like I triple posted. But I did, sorry.

slice bh compliment

Actually, it's funny, I recall Sampras doing that, too, when he was first winning it. Wimbleton, that is.

EDIT:
BTW, above, Roger's footwork chirping some Stravinsky was funny.
Even funnier that the Onion editors did not notice the misspelling of the name ''Stravinsky''.

I think my inner English teacher picked that up and wanted to add that in to detract from my triple posting gaffe.

ronalditop
12-24-2008, 05:01 AM
^^^^^^ triple post

Dedans Penthouse
12-24-2008, 06:04 AM
triple nipple

(sorry, thought this was "Word Association")

Sentinel
12-24-2008, 08:12 PM
Is Federer now officially 'Triple Nipple' due to that nasty bite on his cheek he sported last year ?
*puzzled*

J-man
12-25-2008, 03:46 AM
Weak side-speaks German?