PDA

View Full Version : Sparring Partners in San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay and Silicon Valley)

Onelongrunner
12-23-2008, 02:38 PM
I am a 4.0-4.5 player (depending on how I am playing on a given day...hmmm, then let's call that a solid 4.0, huh). Strokes are still there....good serve, variety, etc...mostly need to improve my consistency.

I was a sectionally ranked junior (14's) back in the day (I am 3, but just recently got back to playing and I am working to get back up to a competitive 4.5 or (dare I say) a 5.0 level. I am looking for good sparring partners to hit with either in the evenings or on weekends.

My office is in Santa Clara and I live in Danville (up near San Ramon). I have access to some very nice courts in both areas and I am hoping to find a few folks who will become regular partners.

If anyone is interested, please let me know or feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Ethan

jayserinos99
12-26-2008, 07:46 AM
Hi Ethan,

We have a group playing in Cupertino and Sunnyvale on Tuesday and Thursday nights. You're free to hit with us whenever you can make it out.

Onelongrunner
12-27-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow...thats great...where do you guys play? Thanks for the invite.

jayserinos99
12-29-2008, 04:21 PM
^ Depends; typically we try to play at De Anza College but if need be go to Memorial Park right across the street.

gocard
12-29-2008, 08:42 PM
hey jay, is your group open for more "drop in" players or do you usually have a pretty fixed rotation of people?

Jdavid
12-29-2008, 11:24 PM
Jay, do you also go by the name PJ?

jayserinos99
12-29-2008, 11:38 PM
hey jay, is your group open for more "drop in" players or do you usually have a pretty fixed rotation of people?

Typically it's we have an email distribution list and it's who ever decides to show up on that day. We'll typically have 4 people show up at 5pm and 1-2 may show up at 6pm so we rotate them in.

jayserinos99
12-29-2008, 11:42 PM
Weather permitting, I'll see if people will play tomorrow...

EDIT: We'll meet to play today at 6pm at De Anza.

christo
12-30-2008, 10:21 PM
I am a 4.0-4.5 player (depending on how I am playing on a given day...hmmm, then let's call that a solid 4.0, huh). Strokes are still there....good serve, variety, etc...mostly need to improve my consistency.

I was a sectionally ranked junior (14's) back in the day (I am 3, but just recently got back to playing and I am working to get back up to a competitive 4.5 or (dare I say) a 5.0 level. I am looking for good sparring partners to hit with either in the evenings or on weekends.

My office is in Santa Clara and I live in Danville (up near San Ramon). I have access to some very nice courts in both areas and I am hoping to find a few folks who will become regular partners.

If anyone is interested, please let me know or feel free to contact me.

Cheers,

Ethan

Ethan, shoot me an e-mail, I'm nearby your home and play 3-4 times a week, 4.0-4.5 level, cheers

Onelongrunner
12-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Christo...would love to hit with you. How can I reach you? I can be emailed at onelongrunner@yahoo.com

Cheers,

Ethan

kashgotmoney
12-31-2008, 12:32 AM
i live in san ramon and hit at dougherty valley highschool EVERYDAY... send me a message. sometimes montevista highschool

Joeyg
12-31-2008, 05:16 AM
I live and work in Fremont and coach at Chabot College in Hayward. You can email me at joegrechtennis@hotmail.com. I play 4.5 league.

Jack the Hack
01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
jayserinos99,

Is your group playing over at De Anza College tonight (Thursday, January 8th, '09)?

I'm a 4.5 with a respectable sectional and national 35 and over ranking, and I captain a 4.5 team back in my home area. I'm down here in the San Jose area for business, and I would love to hit. In fact, I just had TW send me 4 demo sticks to try out and they arrived at my office down here this morning.

If you see this message, please reply and let me know what time it starts. My personal e-mail address is baselinebasher@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Jack the Hack
01-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Offline from TW, I exchanged e-mails with Jay. It looks like the De Anza group isn't getting together tonight... but I was inquiring about other types of hosted, drop-in clinics at clubs. At my home club, every Thursday night, they have a 1.5 hour drill session with one of the pros for 4.0+ players at a cost of $10 for non-members, $5 for members. I found something similar in Austin for $12 (run by former WTA pro Brie Rippner!) when I was down there for business. Surely, there is something like this somewhere in the Bay Area... anybody know of anything like this?

I did find some drop-in clinics online at the San Jose Tennis Center, run by a pro named Kevin DeHart. Unfortunately, the cost is $24 for a non-member per session, which I think is expensive.

Does anybody know of anything else in the area?

Joeyg
01-09-2009, 05:06 AM
Jack,

It is Ken DeHart. He is a very good teacher and I am sure you would enjoy his insigghts tremendously. As for drop in type stuff, that is very hit and miss for the 4.5's in NorCal. I live and work in Fremont and also am a 4.5. How long are you planning on being in San Jose? reply here or you can meail me at joegrechtennis@hotmail.com

Jack the Hack
01-09-2009, 08:40 AM
Jack,

It is Ken DeHart. He is a very good teacher and I am sure you would enjoy his insigghts tremendously. As for drop in type stuff, that is very hit and miss for the 4.5's in NorCal. I live and work in Fremont and also am a 4.5. How long are you planning on being in San Jose? reply here or you can meail me at joegrechtennis@hotmail.com

Joe,

I am going to be here until next Wednesday night. I usually come to the San Jose area 3 or 4 times per year because the company I work for is headquartered here. In the past, I've usually signed up for a tournament (I was here in December and played in the **** tourney in Carmel) or I play with one of my co-workers who played for San Jose State back in the day (he's injured right now).

Anyway, the De Anza group didn't play last night... but I did get a message from Jay (jayserinos99) and we ended up hooking up with a group of his friends over at Moore Park in south San Jose. We hit for about 4 hours, and I think I got at least 6 sets in. Big props to Jay for setting that up and including me.

I think I will be hitting with one of Jay's friends who is getting ready for a tournament tonight, and then we might have something set up for next Tuesday. However, I can probably hit with you either on Saturday morning, or sometime on Sunday if you are available.

I'll shoot you an e-mail with my contact info...

Thanks,

~ Jack

jayserinos99
01-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Hi Jack,

Thanks for coming out and I hope you got some good run last night. I called my friend about hitting tonight at 6.30-7pm and there's a good chance he may not make it out. So if you set something up with Joe for tonight, that'll be fine.

- J

andrehoang
01-09-2009, 12:38 PM
We're Norcal 4.0 team just got back from Nationals, not 4.5 but maybe solid 4.0. We practice at Santa Clara Central Park every Fri/Sat/Sun from 5:00-10:00PM. They have 8 beautiful&clean courts with good lights. Feel free to stop by and hit some balls with us.

kreative
01-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Jack,

It was nice hitting w/ you last Thursday. You still liking those SP Blacks?