PDA

View Full Version : Head Flexpoint Radical: TESTED!!!

TennisD
02-19-2005, 05:35 AM
Yesterday, I had an exclusive opportunity to test the Head Flexpoint Radical. So here, for you all to see, is a review of the racquet. Now, I only hit a few rallies from the baseline with it, but I did get a pretty good feel for the racquet, so I will put my first impressions here. I will probably do a more in-depth play test next week.

First off, this racquet is quite interesting. As we all know from the AO pictures, it has a hole right through the frame, positioned at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. This is called the FlexPoint. What it does, I'm not quite sure, but I can tell you that it gives the racquet amazing feel.

As I took my forehands and backhands from the baseline, I was amazed. It feels as if the ball stays in the stringbed an extra second, providing you with amazing control and spin. I was truly impressed. Now, of course, I'm a PC600 guy, so I'm quite anti-radical (and kind of anti-LM), but I was very impressed by the technology. You truly feel the ball, and feel where it is going! It's as if time is slowed down, and you can place the ball in the most insane corners of the court! I still liked my PC600 far better, but when the FlexPoint Prestige comes out (yes, they are making one, I have insider info!) I may have to consider switching!

In terms of specs, the basics are just like the LM Radical, 98 sq inch head, etc. About weight and balance, I can't tell you, because the racquet was custom made.

Hope to give you more info on this stick soon!

Balboa
02-19-2005, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the posting how it played. Perhaps this playtest should have been posted in the 'Racquets' section since it is not really talking about any pro and would benefit more for others to see your impression of this frame in that section.

deflori
02-19-2005, 06:06 AM
good pics would be great:))

TennisD
02-19-2005, 06:08 AM
Sorry guys! I'll repost it there!

Yeah, pics would be great, but my digitcal camera is in Canada!

Richie Rich
02-19-2005, 07:53 AM
can't wait to see how head will paintjob the hole in pro's prestiges when they come out with the flexpoint prestige.

gregraven
02-20-2005, 05:52 AM
How did you manage to hit with one without being subject to a non-disclosure agreement?

TennisD
02-20-2005, 06:35 AM
How did you manage to hit with one without being subject to a non-disclosure agreement?
Quite simple, chum, my coach gave it to to me to hit with. Maybe he signed a NDA, but I didn't. Where I train, there are several of these sticks floating around

jonas-the-ball-basher
02-21-2005, 04:25 AM
Yesterday, I had an exclusive opportunity to test the Head Flexpoint Radical. So here, for you all to see, is a review of the racquet. Now, I only hit a few rallies from the baseline with it, but I did get a pretty good feel for the racquet, so I will put my first impressions here. I will probably do a more in-depth play test next week.

First off, this racquet is quite interesting. As we all know from the AO pictures, it has a hole right through the frame, positioned at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions. This is called the FlexPoint. What it does, I'm not quite sure, but I can tell you that it gives the racquet amazing feel.

As I took my forehands and backhands from the baseline, I was amazed. It feels as if the ball stays in the stringbed an extra second, providing you with amazing control and spin. I was truly impressed. Now, of course, I'm a PC600 guy, so I'm quite anti-radical (and kind of anti-LM), but I was very impressed by the technology. You truly feel the ball, and feel where it is going! It's as if time is slowed down, and you can place the ball in the most insane corners of the court! I still liked my PC600 far better, but when the FlexPoint Prestige comes out (yes, they are making one, I have insider info!) I may have to consider switching!

In terms of specs, the basics are just like the LM Radical, 98 sq inch head, etc. About weight and balance, I can't tell you, because the racquet was custom made.

Hope to give you more info on this stick soon!What exactly do you like better about your Prestige Classic?
Cuz also I play with the Prestige Classic, but your review makes me very curious, especially when the Flexpoint Prestige comes out.

TennisD
02-21-2005, 10:19 AM
What do I like better? Just the overall feel, weight, headsize. Pretty much everything.

TennisD
02-21-2005, 10:20 AM
And yes, the FlexPoint Prestige should be great. It might make me switch, it's that good!

GermaniumGenie
02-26-2005, 10:49 PM
I have heard the FP Radical will be available sometime in March, but will the FP Prestige be out that soon as well? I know that the LM Prestige came out a while after the LM Radical; I hope the same doesn't go with the FP's. Also, what are the differences between the two racquets other than weight? I currently use an LM Prestige, but I need another racquet because I only have one. I do not know whether to get an FP Radical or wait for the FP Prestige. The weight of my LM Prestige has been tough on my wrist after extended periods of play, so I am leaning towards the FP Radical since it is lighter.

TommyGun
02-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Japanese Head website has NO Prestige flexpoint, only Radical and "6".

Hmmm......

verdasco67
02-27-2005, 08:04 AM
hey tommygun, whats the adress for the Japanese head website?

TommyGun
02-27-2005, 08:08 AM
Look at the thread in racquets, I think its called "they're here"

Veritas
02-27-2005, 08:21 AM
The Flexpoint Prestige will most likely come out after next years AO.

GermaniumGenie
02-27-2005, 10:42 AM
NO WAY...I can't wait that long; I am going with the Radical - I'll just add some lead tape if I need to...:-D

hummer23
02-27-2005, 12:10 PM
yeah remember the lm prestige, it came out after the aussie, and way after the radical that agassi used at the 03 us open. i wouldnt be surprised if the prestige came out later on.

TommyGun
02-27-2005, 01:14 PM
I was just on the Dunlop site...competing technology, maybe older then Heads, and if so, looks like a "stolen" tech. Anyone know how long i-Zone technology has been around?

drumnman2
02-27-2005, 05:58 PM
They show pic. of this in the new tennis mag. this month. Showing that the racquet actually flexs around the ball by bending, almost like a hinge in the middle instead of just the head flexing backward at contact. That is, if you hit it in the center of the head. Wondering what happens when you hit one high in the stringbed, such as an overhead or serve, does the top half of the racquet flex or hinge BACK by bending at the flex point ?? Just a thought.

praetorian909
03-01-2005, 10:21 PM
Yea looking at the new issue of Tennis Magazine, I saw the Flexpoint ad. Shows only the Radical and Flexpoint 6, so it doesn't seem like they'll have a Prestige version for at least awhile.

deflori
03-02-2005, 02:52 AM
http://www.head-div.gr.jp/tennis/tennis_top.html

Hewitt rulez
03-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I was suprised how light the Flexpoint radical was. It says in the Flexpoint ad that Ferrero won 2 grand slams. What else did he win besides the 2003 French?

deflori
03-02-2005, 10:52 AM
And what about the lengt??

In my link there stands that it is standart lenght - i thought it should be longer??

spinbalz
03-02-2005, 05:15 PM
Perhaps Ferrero won also a Slam title in double? But I wouldn't bet my life on it.

dAgEnIuS
03-04-2005, 06:01 PM
Yea looking at the new issue of Tennis Magazine, I saw the Flexpoint ad. Shows only the Radical and Flexpoint 6, so it doesn't seem like they'll have a Prestige version for at least awhile.

did you guys get the new TENNIS magazine already??
it has only been like 3 weeks after the one with Andy Roddick on the cover...

deflori
03-05-2005, 07:20 AM
@TennisD

Have you played the lm prestige too?
And how would you compare these two rackets?
Today i played the lm and it was completely dead,horrible Frame,the only thing was a great touch,so i went fast back to my instinct..

court_zone
03-05-2005, 07:24 AM
did you guys get the new TENNIS magazine already??
it has only been like 3 weeks after the one with Andy Roddick on the cover...

I'm still waiting for the March issue. It evidently got mailed to the wrong address so I requested another issue which is supposed to come around a week from last monday. Who is on the April issue and what pro's stroke do they breakdown in the April?

wtennis206
03-11-2005, 05:47 PM
I got one from a coach a couple of weeks ago. To ME it doesn't feel very diferent than the Liquidmmetal Radical. Maybe they just put two holes in the same frame. Who knows.

TennisD
03-12-2005, 03:45 AM
I AM BACK!!!!

Sorry everyone, I was at two ITF tournaments for the last couple of weeks, and now I'm back. Sadly, one of my beloved Prestige Classics cracked during the tourneys. Also, sadly, I didn't do too well. But it's ok, I have several tournaments lined up now, and those were my first ones in ages because of injury.

Ok, so first off, this racquets is coming out in March. Like right now.
Second off, the technology is quite interesting. It does, in fact, somewhat wrap the head of the racquet around the ball, giving the ball more time in the string bed, making for a ridiculously amazing feeling of control. I should know, I've felt it. However, what happens if you hit it higher on the string bed? Simple! See, this racquet is not at all designed for the ball to be hit dead center. That's not where the true sweet spot of ANY racquet is. Best results come when you hit it slightly above the "holes", or the real sweet spot area of most racquets. If you hit it a bit higher, it's quite forgiving, but it still gives you a feeling of dictator-style, iron fist control!

Also, to answer deflori, yes, I have tried the LM Prestige. I absolutely despise it. I've tried it with different weights and tensions, and I just don't like it. I'll have to stick to my PC's, or wait for the FlexPoint Prestige.

On that, note, I also have inside info that the FlexPoint Prestige is coming, and sooner than you may think!

Also, wtennis206, if you don't think there is any difference, you are obviously a fool.

barry
03-12-2005, 09:53 AM
Have not hit with the racket, suppose to get a demo in. Head did one thing right it is a 16 x 19 pattern instead of the dense one. Also I think it is 4 point head light which is perfect for customization.

Got to be an improvement over the LM Radical, everyone I know who bought the Radical sold it on **** after a months play.

Power Game
03-12-2005, 10:10 AM
I AM BACK!!!!
On that, note, I also have inside info that the FlexPoint Prestige is coming, and sooner than you may think!

CAn you give us a rough estimate? Summer, Fall, winter, after the AO?....

jonas-the-ball-basher
03-12-2005, 10:52 AM
NO WAY...I can't wait that long; I am going with the Radical - I'll just add some lead tape if I need to...:-D
That might just be the reason why Head is waiting with the Flexpoint Prestige a little longer :mrgreen:
If all Prestige users will just buy a Radical and add some leadtape before buying the new Prestige, this would be more obvious than releasing the Prestige first, because Radical users will probably not go for a heavier and smallerheadsized Prestige but instead be waiting for the new Radical.

wtennis206
03-12-2005, 03:57 PM
Screw you TennisD.

Type40
03-12-2005, 05:55 PM
Ferrero was really having an impact on Federer with this racquet