PDA

View Full Version : Doubles--first set loss, switch sides?

ten10
12-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Wondering how many like to switch sides (deuce, ad) after a first set lost with someone you haven't played with before.

Even though we lost our first set 6-1, we were on the sides we felt were best for us. Still with that loss, we were a little tempted. I thought I'd discovered the weaknesses that would help us so we stayed. Won the second set 6-1 and then the tie-breaker (3rd set rule).

I think this is especially hard to decide if a team is playing together for the first time.

raiden031
12-24-2008, 10:11 AM
If its practice, I don't like to change a thing so I can figure out what went wrong. If its a league or tourney match, then I will switch it up because obviously something wasn't working.

JavierLW
12-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Wondering how many like to switch sides (deuce, ad) after a first set lost with someone you haven't played with before.

Even though we lost our first set 6-1, we were on the sides we felt were best for us. Still with that loss, we were a little tempted. I thought I'd discovered the weaknesses that would help us so we stayed. Won the second set 6-1 and then the tie-breaker (3rd set rule).

I think this is especially hard to decide if a team is playing together for the first time.

I dont think it's great to really change anything unless there is a good reason for it. (like it's obvious that someone is struggling on one side)

LuckyR
12-24-2008, 01:06 PM
If whatever you used to decide to choose your original sides is still working but you just happened to lose the set (remember 50% of us lose every time), I would not change. However, if you made the choice suspecting things would work a certain way and you guys find out that it didn't really work out that way, I'd change.

joshburger
12-24-2008, 01:55 PM
i would switch if its not working unless u are each positive that you are on the best side folr u, if only one of you are or if you are both unsure you sholuld definantly switch

beckham
12-24-2008, 01:57 PM
If its really not working my partner and i will switch.we might also depending on our opponets serve pattern(consistency,side,ect) also gives them a different look, and may help even it out