PDA

View Full Version : I got an electric guitar for X-mas but...

TokyopunK
12-25-2008, 12:10 PM
I have no clue where to start.

Is there any good Talk Guitar forums for beginners?

Or web-site tutorial guides.

I found some on youtube but they were either very very basic or very very complicated....

Any suggestions would be great.

Merry Christmas!

veritech
12-25-2008, 12:20 PM
there's information about tabs and such all over the internet if you want to play a couple particular songs.

but if you really want to learn how to play i suggest having someone teach you in person. guitars have a tough learning curve, imo.

Storm_Kyori
12-25-2008, 12:28 PM
post some pics....just a suggestion. I also got one, but have yet to try and learn how to play it.

caesar66
12-25-2008, 04:11 PM
wholenote.com . It hasn't been updated in years but there are TONS of lessons that helped me 8 years ago when I started playing.

Z-Man
12-25-2008, 04:21 PM
The harmonycentral.com chat board is the music equiv of TW. To get started, all you need is a tuner and some tabs. Don't neglect to stretch and tune your strings, or you'll never learn how to play because you won't be able to hear what you're doing. Keep it simple. Simple playing that's in tune and in time is all you need--even if you're in a gigging band.

stormholloway
12-25-2008, 05:31 PM
Learn a few chords. Try to train yourself to move easily between these chords without stalling. It's a matter of muscle memory.

Another thing I notice with beginners is they have trouble keeping their picking arm/hand loose and end up with funky strum patterns.

LuckyR
12-25-2008, 05:53 PM
I would consider going to a pawn shop and looking for an old, small (tube) amp at a bargain. Something like a Champ.

TokyopunK
12-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Thanks guys.

Any tips on how to not hit more than one string?

I looked at "How to hold a Pick" on youtube.... but I keep hitting like two strings at once with my jumbo hands! ARGHGHG

ichibanosaru
12-25-2008, 06:17 PM
Also try www.ultimate-guitar.com (http://www.ultimate-guitar.com). Loads of songs for free.

Good luck!

stormholloway
12-25-2008, 06:18 PM
Learn to move your hand away from the strings, then simply move the hand closer. Keep your wrist loose.

Z-Man
12-26-2008, 10:06 AM
I would consider going to a pawn shop and looking for an old, small (tube) amp at a bargain. Something like a Champ.

Those are pretty tough to come by around here, but it's a great amp for practice or recording. I've got a 63 Vibroverb reissue, but if I was him, I might go with something from Line6.

amx13
12-26-2008, 10:28 AM
Check out www.jamplay.com, the best internet site for learning guitar IMO. You can also check some videos on youtube if you want to learn any specific song. BTW, did you get an amp with your guitar?

stormholloway
12-26-2008, 10:36 AM
Speaking of electric guitars, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this baby:

http://gallery.me.com/johns61#100326/IMG_1544&bgcolor=black

Djokovicfan4life
12-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks guys.

Any tips on how to not hit more than one string?

I looked at "How to hold a Pick" on youtube.... but I keep hitting like two strings at once with my jumbo hands! ARGHGHG

Are you talking about with your fretting hand or your picking hand? Unless you're playing barre chords, your fretting hand fingers should make a slight arch so that you only play one string at a time.

For the right hand, I would suggest that you learn to alternate pick. This is the most important technique you will ever learn for the guitar, IMO. It's extremely easy to learn, but difficult to master. You simply move the pick down (towards the ground), then up, down, up, down, up, etc.

I have no idea what your musical background is, but to practice alternate picking you should use a metronome. You can find them on Musicians Friend for a pretty good price. You need to know how to subdivide the beat into quarter notes, 8ths, triplets, 16ths, 16th note triplets, 32nds, etc.

Once you understand this concept you can begin actually practicing alternate picking.

Here's are some basic alternate picking exercises:

1. (triplets or 16th note triplets)

G--------4---------
D-4-5-7----7-5----- (repeat)

2. (16ths or 32nd notes if you're a real speed demon)

G--------4-5-4--------
D-4-5-7--------7-5---- (repeat)

3. (Same as #2)

G--------4----4--------
D-4-5-7----7----7-5---- (repeat)

4. (Same as 2 and 3)

E---------------5-7-8-7-5------------
B--------5-7-8-------------8-7-5-----
G-5-7-8--------------------------8-7- (repeat)

Hope this helps,

Matt

Djokovicfan4life
12-26-2008, 10:58 AM
Speaking of electric guitars, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on this baby:

http://gallery.me.com/johns61#100326/IMG_1544&bgcolor=black

You have great taste, my friend. Gibson FTW!

stormholloway
12-26-2008, 11:48 AM
You have great taste, my friend. Gibson FTW!

I've always been a Strat player actually, but I've been craving humbuckers for years.

tenzinrocks
12-27-2008, 09:57 PM
go to ultimate-guitar.com and 911tabs.com