View Full Version : Spoiler: Carlsen - Roddick

Vlad
02-19-2005, 10:55 AM
Roddick Withdraws From Memphis Semifinal

Email this story
Printer friendly format

By Associated Press

February 19, 2005, 2:11 PM EST

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Andy Roddick withdrew from his semifinal at the Regions Morgan Keegan Championships on Saturday after testing his sprained left ankle. Roddick was supposed to face Kenneth Carlsen, who advanced to the final against eighth-seeded Max Mirnyi, a 7-5, 6-3 winner against No. 2 Tommy Haas.

Roddick, the 2003 U.S. Open champion, was hurt during his quarterfinal victory Friday night and spent the night treating his ankle. He tried to loosen up his foot by jogging, then tried to hit a couple of balls.

"The first really kind of significant move I made I just knew that it wasn't going to happen for me," Roddick said.

He decided to pass on a chance to win his second tour title in two weeks in part because he wants to be healthy for the U.S. team's Davis Cup match against Croatia in two weeks.

"The repercussions of this injury wouldn't just affect me. It would affect my teammates and playing for my country as well," Roddick said.

Balboa
02-19-2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the article, Vlad. No one knew if this ankle injury would force him to withdraw, now it's official. It must not be too bad as he is looking forward to the US DC tie.