PDA

View Full Version : Vilas was never nš1?

BERDI4
02-19-2005, 03:17 PM
I heard that Vilas has never been nš1. Is this true? Didn't he win 62 tournaments (don't know how many slams but I think all except Wimbledon) and the US and French opens in the same year 1977?

Aykhan Mammadov
02-19-2005, 03:23 PM
See my thread "Very Very interesting facts".

raftermania
02-19-2005, 04:51 PM
Is Aykhan invisible or something? It says he has posted here yet there is no message, am I seeing things??? Yes I know some might perceive this phenomenon as a good thing.

Serve-And-Volley
02-19-2005, 04:59 PM
No Vilas was never ranked number 1 in the world. His career high was number 2 in 1975.

Aykhan Mammadov
02-19-2005, 05:05 PM
Is Aykhan invisible or something? It says he has posted here yet there is no message, am I seeing things??? Yes I know some might perceive this phenomenon as a good thing.

Raftermania, I posted here the thread " Very Very interesting facts", but not only nobody replied it, not. Nobody even looked at it , no views here at that thread, despite it is interesting. I don't understand what is going on. Either this forum is not democratic, i.e. some peoples may censor authors, or participants decided to drive me out.

bc-05
02-19-2005, 05:13 PM

u know what i see the same thing it says that aykhan last posted in this thread yet i couldn't see his post.. he must be some kind of alladin guy.. meh..

Aykhan Mammadov
02-19-2005, 05:23 PM
Either you all decided to joke with me !!!! Ha-ha-ha!!!!

equinox
02-19-2005, 06:02 PM
heh he's probably been set on global ignore. That's what one gets for being off topic every post. nice job jon.

BreakPoint
02-19-2005, 09:07 PM
I'd be very surprised if Vilas was not ranked #1 at some point during 1977. I know he did not end the year at #1. I think Jimmy Connors did. However, the guy won two Grand Slams and had some phenomenal record, like 68-3 or something that year.

joe sch
02-20-2005, 07:32 AM
I'd be very surprised if Vilas was not ranked #1 at some point during 1977. I know he did not end the year at #1. I think Jimmy Connors did. However, the guy won two Grand Slams and had some phenomenal record, like 68-3 or something that year.

Breakpoint, it is very surprising that Vilas was #2 to Borg in 1977 since it was one of the most phenomenal years in sports history since Guillermo was 145-14 and had record 50 match winning streak broken by Nastase who used a speghetti racket. This was a historic year and match which resulted in the new stringing rules preventing any further such upsets to the tennis history books.

andfor
02-20-2005, 07:44 AM
For those who like to see......http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/playerprofiles/default2.asp?playernumber=V028

rhubarb
02-20-2005, 07:53 AM

Connors was number one for an amazing stint, from 29th July 1974 to the 9th of April 1979, with one week's break in August 1977 where he lost it temporarily o Borg.

Vilas didn't make number one unfortunately. I'm sure people didn't bother in the mid-seventies who was at the top at the end of the year, but one reason why Vilas might not have made it was that he had already lost his AO title to Gerulaitis in December ;) Anyway, rankings worked differently in those days.

Pushmaster
02-20-2005, 11:13 AM
I've noticed the same thing in other threads, very strange??

Aykhan Mammadov
02-20-2005, 01:21 PM
I had here at forum a lot of fun, simply spent time with you. Really didn't offend anybody, didn't try to offend even, and let myself to joke sometimes just in order to relax and enjoy.

As I understand I'm outside of the forum by some unknown for me reasons. So what. Just see my name and notice that I'm here.

BERDI4
02-20-2005, 02:26 PM
Again, Aykhan posted another invisible message.

Truedge
02-20-2005, 03:30 PM
I remember on Sportscentury they said something about ranking being about points scored in a match, so even though Vilas won all those tournaments, someone else scored more points.

BreakPoint
02-20-2005, 03:58 PM
I remember on Sportscentury they said something about ranking being about points scored in a match, so even though Vilas won all those tournaments, someone else scored more points.

Please see my signature line below.

Rabbit
02-20-2005, 08:51 PM
I sure thought I remembered one of the two tennis magazines back then ranking Vilas #1, Tennis or World Tennis. But, after some looking around on the internet, it doesn't appear so. I think he should've been ranked #1 in 77.

andfor
02-21-2005, 06:45 AM
I sure thought I remembered one of the two tennis magazines back then ranking Vilas #1, Tennis or World Tennis. But, after some looking around on the internet, it doesn't appear so. I think he should've been ranked #1 in 77.

You bring up a possibility. If I remember some of the tennis magazines may have had their own rankings back then. I just can't remember that far back. At that time the ATP system was somewhat new and the pro tour also had the WCT Tennis tour to compete against.

atatu
02-21-2005, 09:06 AM
That's exactly right, World Tennis ranked Vilas #1, I still remember the goofy cover with him wearing a tennis shirt with a green #1 on it.

Rabbit
02-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Vindication!!!!!

Thanks, atatu, I knew I remembered it somewhere.