PDA

View Full Version : How to erase my open racquethead on forehand??

MaratSafin_fan
12-28-2008, 12:22 PM
What is wrong when I hit with a open racquethead on forehand? What should I do technical to erase it? Should I brush more up on the ball and dont let the racquet go through the ball so much forward? :confused::confused:

mordecai
12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
When you hit a tennis ball the stringbed is supposed to be either at a right angle to the ground, or facing slightly downward.

An open racquet-face describes an error where on contact, your stringbed is facing up. This causes shots to fly upward with no spin or slice as opposed to topspin.

This is a common error and can be corrected by altering your takeback. Before you swing at the ball, experiment with pointing the hitting face of the stringbed straight down. This "more closed" takeback will result in a more closed racquetface at contact.

Hope this helps.

Tennisguy777
12-28-2008, 05:31 PM
use your non hitting hand to turn racquet face to correct angle before contact. Also brushing up on the ball helps.

OhDear
12-28-2008, 05:43 PM
What is wrong when I hit with a open racquethead on forehand?

An open stringbed will force the ball upward, so you're either going to be hitting a really high lob or something, or the ball will just fly out.

What should I do technical to erase it? Should I brush more up on the ball and dont let the racquet go through the ball so much forward? :confused::confused:

Technically, you need to work with a few things.
1. Your grip: what grip are you using? Most people nowadays use something between an eastern forehand and a western. Not many use a continental grip.
2. Brushing up on the ball with an open racquetface is not only impossible, it's not going to solve your problem. You CAN, however, brush up with a closed or squared face to create topspin.
3. You STILL NEED TO HIT THROUGH THE BALL. I can't stress this enough.

If you need more help, just ask. And remember, I'm no expert.

Bungalo Bill
12-28-2008, 05:54 PM
What is wrong when I hit with a open racquethead on forehand? What should I do technical to erase it? Should I brush more up on the ball and dont let the racquet go through the ball so much forward? :confused::confused:

It could be several things ranging from a wrist turning to your contact point.

Start with the stroke and learn how to keep the wrist quiet and yet elastic. You can search on my "PAT THE DOG ON THE HEAD" to learn proper technique.

BeHappy
12-28-2008, 06:25 PM
^^^
this .

baseline08thrasher
12-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Go to youtube and watch slow motion strokes all day.

Good luck. =]

MaratSafin_fan
12-29-2008, 01:24 PM
I am playing now with a semi-western grip. I used to play with extreme western. The racquet head were always closed with the W grip but now with the SW it's different. How should I close the head with SW technical?

Bungalo Bill
12-29-2008, 01:46 PM
I am playing now with a semi-western grip. I used to play with extreme western. The racquet head were always closed with the W grip but now with the SW it's different. How should I close the head with SW technical?

You are making me feel like I am in Groundhogs Day.

As stated above, you can search on my "PAT THE DOG ON THE HEAD" to learn proper technique.

MaratSafin_fan
12-29-2008, 02:03 PM
Where do I the search for "PAT THE DOG ON THE HEAD"?

LeeD
12-29-2008, 02:14 PM
You can always follow through fully to the other side with the racket face closed, and that insures your racket face is slightly closed at impact.
Follow thru is the most important facet of achieving consistency in any stroke, especially the topspin forehand.
EVERY topspin forehand you hit should have a follow thru where the hitting face of the racket is exposed to the opponent. The degree of exposure determines exactly how much topspin you have just hit.
Opposite of slice shots, where your follow thru can still be high, but the racket face is open.

tennisfreak15347
12-29-2008, 02:19 PM
You are making me feel like I am in Groundhogs Day.

As stated above, you can search on my "PAT THE DOG ON THE HEAD" to learn proper technique.

is the "pat the dog" only for WW forehand techniques?

Farz77
12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Either change your grip more towards a SW, or W or change the angle of your wrist as you take it back. If you're a righty, angle the hand more to the right, as you swing you will see that racket face will stay closed.

MaratSafin_fan
12-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Could you send a link to "pat the dog on the head".

Anyway what does it mean? Is it how I should pronate the ball or take the racquet back???

Farz77
12-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Either change your grip more towards a SW, or W or change the angle of your wrist as you take it back. If you're a righty, angle the hand more to the right, as you swing you will see that racket face will stay closed.

Oh sorry, I just read that you used to be W and now are SW. Well I am extreme eastern and changing my wrist position helps quite a bit. Also pronating before contact into contact and after contact will turn that racket face vertical at contact (with practice).

LeeD
12-29-2008, 03:01 PM
"pat the dog" is what you do AFTER you hit the ball, during the follow thru.
You pat the dog on the top of his head, so the racket face is closed.
Don't focus so much on prep and backswing, as long as you're using a semi western grip. Instead, concentrate on the follow thru, and it insures you WILL close the racket face on impact.

tennisfreak15347
12-29-2008, 03:14 PM
Oh sorry, I just read that you used to be W and now are SW. Well I am extreme eastern and changing my wrist position helps quite a bit. Also pronating before contact into contact and after contact will turn that racket face vertical at contact (with practice).

what are you talking about? you are never supposed to pronate your wrist on the forehand...

Don't focus so much on prep and backswing, as long as you're using a semi western grip. Instead, concentrate on the follow thru, and it insures you WILL close the racket face on impact.

I don't think so... you close the face on the backswing and it will naturally OPEN on impact. on any forehand, the racquet should be VERTICAL to the ground. also, the degree of exposure of the racquet face does NOT determine the amount of topspin you achieve, the motion of "low to high." why is there so much false information here...

LeeD
12-29-2008, 03:26 PM
You are concentrating on racket prep and I'm talking about the follow thru.
See the difference?
Of course, during the racket prep of a semi - western forehand, the racket face becomes closed at one point, then opens to vert or close, then close AGAIN on the follow thru.
So you're talking apples (racket prep), and I was talking oranges (the follow thru !!!).
We are both correct, but you have to understand what you read instead of condemning other peoples answers without compreshension.

WildVolley
12-29-2008, 07:24 PM

This isn't correct. "Pat the dog" as taught by BB is something that is done at the end of the backswing. It is the deliberate closing of the racquet face as if you are patting a doggie as you initiate the forward motion of your swing. This encourages you to hit topspin on the ball and not open the racquet face too soon.

Watch a slow motion video of Federer to see this technique in action.

LeeD
12-30-2008, 06:07 PM
Geez, you two guys should team up, and you'd make an excellent ONE person!
One guys critiques me but focus's on prep.
Other guy critiques me, but says his solution is exactly the same as mine....after the shot, end of followthru.....
Can you two guys, Tennis #### and Wildthing, agree to disagree all the time?
Hey, maybe you two should get together and critique EVERYONE, one from the front end, one from the back end.
Please read and comprehend posts before you submit replys....that don't make sense!