PDA

View Full Version : Brasil Open final, Nadal vs. Martin ***Spoiler****

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 06:25 PM
The Tennis Channel showed this event live.

TTC will be replaying the final several times over the next few days. So don't read if you want to watch it.

What an interesting match. The final score, Rafael Nadal def. Alberto Martin, 6-0, 6-7(2), 6-1.

Nadal was cruising in the match, up 6-0, and even 4-0, in the second. Luke Jensen thought it would be a double bagel. But Rafa let his friend Martin back into it.

He showed his talent, and his inexperience, as Martin won the second set tiebreak.

I really thought, after that, that Martin would run away with it.

He's played less tennis overall this week, and he took control of the match after Nadal seemed to have control.

But in the end, the 18-year-old regrouped and won his second ATP title.

I'm not sure about this, but I think this moves Rafa into the Top 40.

bc-05
02-19-2005, 08:01 PM
seriously, don't you have other things to do other than nadal? like it's just a question coz all u do here is either flame or nadal its kinda annoying.. just my 2 cents though

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 08:05 PM
I do a site for Rafael Nadal, which is a big task, given that it's in English and Spanish.

http:www.vamosrafael.com

So with respect to tennis, I don't just talk the talk, I walk the walk.

What do you do to promote the sport? I'd love to hear about it?

And this thread is about Nadal. I was very clear on that.

So what's your point????

bc-05
02-19-2005, 08:10 PM
well i just said its annoying how bout just stfu now?

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 08:13 PM
Be as annoyed as you want.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I started this post about the Brasil scores. Nadal won the event.

Sorry if that annoys you.

But he did, and I posted about it.

So wtf???

alan-n
02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
VamosRafa, thanks for the score updates. Some members on this board would like to keep up with Rafa news also. I like watching all court talent, the more popular that Rafa gets, the more we get to watch his talents.

iloovetennis
02-19-2005, 08:29 PM
there's is way too much drama here for a tennis forum.

i don't understand whats wrong with VamosRafa posting the scores of a very big clay court tournament. It seems to me like she is one of Nadal's biggest fan. There's nothing wrong with her talking about nadal. It's a tennis forum and tennis is being promoted.

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 08:32 PM
VamosRafa, thanks for the score updates. Some members on this board would like to keep up with Rafa news also. I like watching all court talent, the more popular that Rafa gets, the more we get to watch his talents.

Just to go http:www.vamosrafael.com.

If there's rafa news, we have it. Or at least we try to. :-)

We also have a messageboard there:

It's in English and Spanish:

http://www.vamosrafael.com/forum/

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 08:38 PM
there's is way too much drama here for a tennis forum.

i don't understand whats wrong with VamosRafa posting the scores of a very big clay court tournament. It seems to me like she is one of Nadal's biggest fan. There's nothing wrong with her talking about nadal. It's a tennis forum and tennis is being promoted.

Thank you for your comments, but I do understand that folks here don't want to hear too much re Nadal.

Has anyone else but me noticed that there are 3 ATP events going on this week, and the talk is mostly focused on the past? What's up with that????

Or on female players' looks?

That's fine, but there are some WTA events going on this week as well.

Why aren't there any spoilers on those events?

Of course, I often hear waaaaayyyyy too much here re players, such as Muster, Sampras and other players who have retired.

I'm kidding there a bit, but you are right about the drama at times.

Still, when you have an 18-year-old winning his second ATP tournament, and one, if not two, of the dominating threads is about Monfils/Young. Hellooooo??????

And did I mention that Rafael did win the ATP event. He now has 5 ATP events under his belt.

And the response is I'm too pro-Nadal.

A reality check is indeed in order. *roflmao*

Here's a photo of Rafa and Beto with their trophies:

http://vamosrafael.smugmug.com/photos/16155579-M.jpg

One thing that Luke Jensen mentioned several times during the semis and final is that he doesn't thiink Rafa is 6'0" as is said in the ATP profile. I don't think so either. He's about 6'2" now.

If you look at the photo, you'll see why I mention that stat. ;-)

VamosRafa
02-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I admit, I'm not as up on the WTA, as I am on the ATP,

but just go to

http://www.livescore.com/tennis.dll

And you'll see all the latest scores for this weekend.

I've been following them all, as I've been doing the Nadal site,

and as you can see, there are 3 ATP events going on, only one of which has been decided.

But there are a couple WTA events, with some interesting finals coming up.

So you may want to bookmark that site.

The "livescore" stat is a bit of a misnomer, but it usually isn't too far behind in terms in results.

Perhaps folks here are often more interested in the past, because they can't see the matches on TV.

The Tennis Channel is changing that for sure. Hopefully more folks will be able to get it soon.

joe sch
02-20-2005, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the post Susan !
I even give you credit for pointing out that Nadal let his friend back in the match at 60 40. A double bagel may have been a double edged sword against his buddie but you can never giveup any points in tennis since the match may never tournaround back in your favor. I think for Nadal to get to the next level, he will have to learn this lesson and probably the hard way. Playing every point like it is the last point is one of the qualities that many of the best champions in tennis all display and I always think of Jimmy Connors in this respect.
Vamos Nadal !

baseliner
02-20-2005, 09:53 AM
Very entertaining match. Luke Jensen even told the engraver to go ahead and start putting Nadal's name on the trophy at 4-0 in the second set. Boom. Kiss of death and Martin got back in it. TTC showed the Nadal semifinal and I too thought Nadal would run out of gas. He played a lot more tennis than Martin. Another good sportsmanship moment in the semis when Nadal reversed the linesman and gave the Brazilian opponent the point after looking at the line. Keep the Rafael posts coming Ma'am. I for one enjoy them and I think most tennis fans do too.

Pushmaster
02-20-2005, 10:13 AM
Thanks for posting the results Susan, I'm a big fan of Nadal's and it's great to see him pull out a big win against a crafty veteran like Martin, especially when it could have so easily got away from him.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Thanks for posting the results Susan, I'm a big fan of Nadal's and it's great to see him pull out a big win against a crafty veteran like Martin, especially when it could have so easily got away from him.

Thanks for the comments from you all.

I expected to come back and hear negative things.

But I am trying to pick my moments about talking about Nadal, and I guess we all agree this was a good one. *lol*

I'll try to continue picking my moments, so as not to overdo it. Still news, is news.

Rafa admits that he got too confident, as he thought things were going to easily for a final. He didn't expect that.

And when he realized he was in the fight he expected, he dug in and did what he could to win.

I also think playing fellow Spaniards is difficult for him, especially in big matches.

But in claycourt events, he has to get used to this.

As for his sportsmanship moment in the Calleri match, he talked about it in the Spanish press, at the end of the tourney. And this is what he said, as translated:

"I did what an honest person would do. I left with a tranquil conscience."

For you Nadal fans, you may want to read this English translation of a Czech mag article from Feb 2005. It's pretty in-depth. Thanks to Lenka for the translation:

http://www.vamosrafael.com/articles/art291.html