PDA

View Full Version : Self-rating mistake on computer? HELP!

Mazilla2219
12-29-2008, 12:12 PM
This is the first time I joined the USTA and it looks like going through the self rating system the computer automatically gave me a self rating of 2.0. Before I could change it to 3.0 my computer rebooted, I thought I could easliy change it when the computer rebooted but now when I try to sign up for my 3.0 team, it still says 2.0 without any place to appeal it. Is there a way I can appeal this rating online? Will the system allow me to play up to 3.0 if the self rating cannot be changed?

SJS
12-29-2008, 01:02 PM
Go to your USTA Sections website and find "USTA Leagues" and then "Appeals". In my section it looks like if you want to appeal a self-rate once you leave the page you must do it by mail (there's a form online). Some sections have restrictions on how far you can play "up" so that also depends on what section you live in but you shouldn't have any problem appealing up.
To find your section go to this page and the map at the bottom of the page:
http://www.usta.com/USTA/Home/AboutUs/Default.aspx
Good luck!

Topaz
12-29-2008, 05:30 PM
This is the first time I joined the USTA and it looks like going through the self rating system the computer automatically gave me a self rating of 2.0. Before I could change it to 3.0 my computer rebooted, I thought I could easliy change it when the computer rebooted but now when I try to sign up for my 3.0 team, it still says 2.0 without any place to appeal it. Is there a way I can appeal this rating online? Will the system allow me to play up to 3.0 if the self rating cannot be changed?

I believe you will still be able to sign up and play 3.0 even if it can not be changed.

If you can't appeal it online, contact your league coordinator, they may be able to help or tell you what to do.

hotseat
12-30-2008, 01:18 PM
you don't need to appeal. you can play 3.0 if you're rated 2.0. next year, your rating will adjust accordingly.

Raiden.Kaminari
01-01-2009, 11:39 PM
As others have mentioned, call up your local USTA Section (or even call USTA nationals). They can access the database to allow you to self-rate again. It is much better than appealing.

If he stays as a 2.0 playing up as 3.0, some people may assume that he is a self-rating cheater. So it's best to re-self-rate.

MariaS
01-02-2009, 11:43 AM
I ran into the same trouble. I didn't want my rating to be a 2.0, which it gives you almost automatically; and I was torn between it being a 3.0 and 3.5. I was changing it too frequently. I didn't know that. I ended up somehow making me a 4.5. Oh well. But I can always play down. .. I actually was a 4.5 once. :oops: BTW there are limitations on how many times in one day or week you can change your self-rating and others that I wasn't aware of. So my errors plus their rules screwed up my rating. I did call my USTA Sections to discuss.

Topaz
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
I ran into the same trouble. I didn't want my rating to be a 2.0, which it gives you almost automatically; and I was torn between it being a 3.0 and 3.5. I was changing it too frequently. I didn't know that. I ended up somehow making me a 4.5. Oh well. But I can always play down. .. I actually was a 4.5 once. :oops: BTW there are limitations on how many times in one day or week you can change your self-rating and others that I wasn't aware of. So my errors plus their rules screwed up my rating. I did call my USTA Sections to discuss.

Actually, no, you can't play down. :confused:

Did you end up having it changed?

LeeD
01-02-2009, 05:02 PM
Playing down is for cherry pickers who quit competitively for 3 years, play every day, and come back to tournaments.
Why play down? You collect plenty of hardware from your progression anyways.
And you can't really tell until you have played several tournaments. If you go mid rounds in most of them, you're about that level.
If you win the first time, then win again, maybe you should move up after TWO tournaments.
If you lose first or second round couple tournaments, you might consider yourself not quite that level and move down.
And if you used to play 4.5, and haven't lost a leg or vision in one eye, you should play 4.5 or you'd be bored to death and spend your time afraid to lose to the new generation.

robby c
01-04-2009, 08:54 PM
4.5 isn't 4.5 anymore. It's slam full of ex Div 1 players. Us former NAIA small college(non-scholarship) and solid high school players don't belong there now. We're 4.0 at best.
What's needed is a nationwide effort at making 2.5 beginner leagues so 3.0 can be reserved for established adv beg/low intermediates.
Self Rating has dropped all the ability groups down a level. Thanks USTA.
Robby C

randomname
01-14-2009, 09:32 AM
4.5 isn't 4.5 anymore. It's slam full of ex Div 1 players. Us former NAIA small college(non-scholarship) and solid high school players don't belong there now. We're 4.0 at best.
What's needed is a nationwide effort at making 2.5 beginner leagues so 3.0 can be reserved for established adv beg/low intermediates.
Self Rating has dropped all the ability groups down a level. Thanks USTA.
Robby C

why do you care? the point of the NTRP is just so people can get close matches, if 4.5 is almost all ex D1 varsity players then who cares? everyone is getting close matches, are you that fragile that it upsets you when an arbitrary number is half a point lower than you think it should be?

ttbrowne
01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
I can't figure out why you can't rate without first having a team number? No sense whatsoever.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-23-2009, 09:10 PM
I can't figure out why you can't rate without first having a team number? No sense whatsoever.

Don't you need one of those to do it in the first place?

rainman007
01-25-2009, 09:41 AM
when you click on tennislink there is a find a rating link... just type in your usta number and there will be an appeal link.. if there wasn't the first time you tried something was wrong with the website.. try again...
i am pretty sure any self rated player can appeal up at anytime but if you self rated to high and want to appeal down your out of luck..

rainman007
01-25-2009, 09:42 AM
http://tennislink.usta.com/leagues/reports/NTRP/FindRating.asp

just type in your usta number and then click appeal rating on the next page