PDA

View Full Version : Backhand Help

benz1
12-29-2008, 04:26 PM
I haven't hit for a while until today and my backhand was either really went through the court and was a good shot or had this kind of side spin on it and floated.

My coach told me my backhand looks identical to Jelena Jankovic which I guess is a good thing considering how good hers is.

I think its going to be an easy one tip fix I just can't remember because its been a while cause of the holiday.

I kept telling myself to make sure my shoulders were closed and all that stuff.... got any tips for me?

LeeD
12-29-2008, 04:31 PM
So, your backhand can hit 50 out of 55 balls hard and deep crosscourt, then 45 out of 55 balls hard down the line, it can handle ankle high slices and top of the head topspins, it can return wide serves low with depth AND high kicking serves, and you can slice when pushed out wide or also for variety??
I didn't see your backhand, but your coach did.
I'd think Jank's backhand is BETTER than my criteria.
So how IS your backhand really?

benz1
12-29-2008, 04:38 PM
my backhand is no where near Jankovic quality but I meant the motion and stuff.

I like to hit my backhand crosscourt and make contact at a little bit higher then my waist.

LeeD
12-29-2008, 04:47 PM
Are you imparting topspin on all your crosscourts, then less for the down the lines?
Is your body position the same on every backhand, with a balanced foot position, high racket followthru, and your body completely STOPS moving forwards or sideways?
Is the ball speed somewhere over 60 mph, consistently, with depth and direction? 60mph is what we considered "fast enough" when added to depth. A normal groundie hit within 3' of the baseline at the mythical "60mph" always takes ONE bounce to hit the backboards...in a normal court.
Is your stroke fluid, leading with the hips, rotating thru the shoulders, to slightly lead the racket?
Can you hit 20 out of 20 backhands deep and with direction?
Sorry, I didn't see you hit, so it's hard to recommend ONE tip to cure all.
My backhand is a work in progress, and my last pro men's tournament was 29 years ago!

Kevo
12-29-2008, 04:50 PM
Sounds like you were hitting through the ball on the good strokes, and hitting around the ball on the bad ones. Probably footwork or timing related. Were you setting up to hit the ball at the proper contact point or was the ball getting too close to you maybe? Pretty hard to say what all might have been involved without seeing it. You might need to think a bit more about it and try to visualize what the difference was between the two strokes.

tenzinrocks
12-29-2008, 05:06 PM
Has anyone ever tried the inside out 2 handed backhand? lol I tried it only once and it was pretty hard and uncomfortable.

LeeD
12-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Didja ever see JimmyConnors hit a backhand down the line?
Always inside out, slicing away from the opponent towards the doubles sideline.
FrewMcMillian, SandyMeyer and more lately MiroslavMercir hit inside out two handers down the line.
Ball stays low, curving away from the player, wierd sidespin bounce, but not as much pace as topped shots, more than onehanded sliced.
Works well.

Djokovicfan4life
12-29-2008, 08:46 PM
Has anyone ever tried the inside out 2 handed backhand? lol I tried it only once and it was pretty hard and uncomfortable.

I don't think it's unheard of to hit an inside out backhand. Jankovic hits them regularly. It's simply a matter of hitting the ball slightly later than you normally would.

There are a few situations in tennis were an inside out backhand is crucial. What would you do if you were playing doubles on the duece side and your opponent served to your backhand with his partner guarding the line?

kelz
12-30-2008, 12:17 AM

That's a bit off-topic, and so am I.

fuzz nation
12-30-2008, 09:33 AM
That floating side-spinner backhand sounds like the ball is in too close to you and you're pulling the racquet in across your body to sort of fight it off. Think about a routine cross-court stroke where you need to go out after the ball some more to send it on its way. If you want to send it more up the line, you can't meet it as far out in front, but the ball needs to be far enough from you so that you can swing around your body instead of pressing the racquet straight away from you - that makes for too much of a push.

Experiment a little bit with giving the ball a little more space and even a slightly more closed stance for that up the line/inside-out stroke. You're looking for the same setup and swing tempo on each stroke, but depending on your target, you need to adjust your orientation. I hit both types of backhands (1hbh and 2hbh) and I can definitely vary my placement more from the same setup with my one hander. I can only put a two hander up the line if I'm really closed up.

LeeD
12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
Hmm....
First of all, since some rather successful and illustrious tennis players hit inside out backhands, sidespun and mostly down the line, I don't think it's a stroke to be avoided at all costs.
I'd think and outside in backhand can be added IN ADDITION to the inside out, for a more varied arsenal.
As for the second point... NOPE!
Any good player will tell you that a good two hander doesn't need nearly the body, leg, or torso setup compared to a one hander.
With 2 hands, you can flick, lead with the racket handle, you can topspin lob, flat, slice, or top all with the same setup, which can be almost any setup.
A good one handed flat or topped backhands needs the front leg crossover, turned upper body, and enough length of stroke to create the racket head speed.
OK, might not agree with your findings, but I did play at A level with a two hander, and can never get close with a purely one hander ...every good player can read the timing on the one handed passing shot much easer than a weirdo, flicky double fisted baseball swing.