PDA

View Full Version : How tightly do you grip your forehand with your index finger?

gastro54
12-29-2008, 07:25 PM
Hey I was wondering about this. Seems to be affected by whether you splay your grip out or use a more "hammer" fingers together type grip.

davey
12-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I use about equal pressure with more of hammer grip.

kelz
12-30-2008, 01:30 AM
About equal pressure as other fingers

gastro54
12-30-2008, 01:14 PM
I wonder what the case is for Nadal. With that tiny grip he has to splay his fingers out a lot so that they're curled around the grip more diagonally

LeeD
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
I gots a lousy forehand, but....
Most good players use their middle fingers (2) for the most pressure, relaxing the index until point of impact. Allows a longer backswing with laid back wrists, and then slightly squeezing the index to firm up the grip on impact.
Pinkie a guide, but not strong, and can off the end of the racket for some players.
Squeezing the handle tightly is never good for any shots, except maybe mis hit hard volleys.

sonicboi21
12-31-2008, 08:14 AM
i spread my index finger away from the rest of my fingers. it helps with my strokes. feels better and more cofmortable

Bungalo Bill
12-31-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey I was wondering about this. Seems to be affected by whether you splay your grip out or use a more "hammer" fingers together type grip.

I use less pressure.

phoenicks
12-31-2008, 08:36 AM
about equal, I think, but din really pay attention to it.

Btw, why does it bother u??

LeeD
12-31-2008, 09:47 AM
If you already have 4.5 level strokes, try my technique (not mine, just every good player's).
Holding predominately with the ring and middle fingers allow the rackethead to lay back farther, enabling more racket speed as the result. As the swing moves forward, grip the index finger for more solid contact.
Pinky is nice to have for prettyness, but it bares little importance for a modern, topspin forehand.
Try it, you might be surprised by the extra rackethead speed.