PDA

View Full Version : LOL, WUT? Yelling Nadal-style helps you play?

Nanshiki
12-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Today, for spits and giggles I started yelling at the top of my lungs every time I tried to hit a full-power shot, and it ACTUALLY started making the shots go in faster, more accurately, with more spin, and more reliably. WTH is up with that?

I'm glad there weren't any other people on the courts, but I'm sure someone could probably hear from 300 yards away. But it was a lot of fun to pretend to be Nadal, and very stress-relieving. It relieved even more stress to see the shots go in.

I even made better touch shots with those ever so slight half-yells... lol

And not to mention, this is a racquet that I was playing like crap with the day before, blaming the strings. They aren't in the best condition, but I guess if you yell at them enough, it'll make them work again. And now suddenly I want a Speedport Black... again.

You kind of have to wonder if people at lower levels get code violations for things like that when it's AOK for top 100 pros to do it...

DarthCow
12-29-2008, 07:28 PM
Placebo effect.

ayuname
12-29-2008, 07:46 PM
we do that all the time. fun stuff.

josephhkim
12-29-2008, 07:47 PM
i think that yelling would help you're breathing.

a lot of people start holding their breathes without noticing.

also, it can help create a sort of "rythem"

tennisfreak15347
12-29-2008, 07:51 PM
some coaches recommend that you breathe out when you hit a groundstroke.. either by grunting or any other method.

DJG
12-29-2008, 08:11 PM
some coaches recommend that you breathe out when you hit a groundstroke.. either by grunting or any other method.

100% - it is quite easy, in the heat of the moment, to start getting tight and hold your breath. It is like doing weights - as you do the move, you breathe out.

You don't need to shout at the top of your lungs - a smaller grunt will also work :)

Nanshiki
12-29-2008, 08:12 PM
Placebo effect.

Placebos work. Especially in sports like tennis.

In martial arts, you have 'kiai' and similar things that basically use the same principle... exhaling at full force will make your strikes more powerful, for whatever reason.

kelz
12-30-2008, 12:22 AM
Lol, ATP circuit bound.

[ GTR ]
12-30-2008, 02:30 AM
You don't really have make noise or grunt.. When hitting hard I breathe out like "ahh" (sort of like a whisper, not loud). Similar to when people have a nice cold drink and make that noise after...ahh..

sonicboi21
12-30-2008, 06:36 AM
placebo effect. you thought it would help you, your body believed your mind, started to play better.

PimpMyGame
12-30-2008, 06:39 AM
Wow. Just imagine what would happen to all our games if we screamed our lungs out AND used new rackets every time?

OvertheFence
12-30-2008, 06:45 AM
Placebo effect.

same principles when dealing w racquets xD :)

LuckyR
12-30-2008, 08:01 AM
Today, for spits and giggles I started yelling at the top of my lungs every time I tried to hit a full-power shot, and it ACTUALLY started making the shots go in faster, more accurately, with more spin, and more reliably. WTH is up with that?

I'm glad there weren't any other people on the courts, but I'm sure someone could probably hear from 300 yards away. But it was a lot of fun to pretend to be Nadal, and very stress-relieving. It relieved even more stress to see the shots go in.

I even made better touch shots with those ever so slight half-yells... lol

And not to mention, this is a racquet that I was playing like crap with the day before, blaming the strings. They aren't in the best condition, but I guess if you yell at them enough, it'll make them work again. And now suddenly I want a Speedport Black... again.

You kind of have to wonder if people at lower levels get code violations for things like that when it's AOK for top 100 pros to do it...

Well, if you routinely look to your strings for the source of poor play, then you should not underestimate the placebo effect.

Nanshiki
12-30-2008, 09:00 AM
That's not a placebo, it simply ruins the effect of practicing by taking away the consistency of the racquet.

GeorgeLucas
12-30-2008, 09:13 AM
It's because the wind coming from your mouth as you yell catches on your racquet and helps accelerate it - resulting in a faster shot.

BullDogTennis
12-30-2008, 02:01 PM
its ALL in your head.

Nanshiki
12-30-2008, 02:16 PM
That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Precision sports often have a LOT of mental things that can improve performance.

LuckyR
12-31-2008, 09:59 AM
That doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Precision sports often have a LOT of mental things that can improve performance.

You are correct. IMO the greatest improvement for you was the Mental Game benefit, although from a stroke production standpoint there is an advantage to be exhaling on the stroke (which grunting will guarantee).