PDA

View Full Version : Hitting with Pace

sputnikmoments
12-30-2008, 06:21 AM
I just picked up tennis, and I'm wondering, how do i hit the ball with great pace yet keep it in. Cause everytime I try to hit the ball hard, it ends up flying out of the court.

phoenicks
12-30-2008, 06:27 AM
Dude, U juz learn tennis, get your stroke mechanics correct 1st, then only u worry about pace and spin.

JRstriker12
12-30-2008, 06:45 AM
I just picked up tennis, and I'm wondering, how do i hit the ball with great pace yet keep it in. Cause everytime I try to hit the ball hard, it ends up flying out of the court.

I would recommend to learn how to hit with more top-spin. If you are hitting the ball hard and flat, it can be difficult to hit hard, clear the net, and still keep the ball in the court.

IMHO, there's really no simple answer as increasing the pace of your shot and keeping the ball in will require a learning process and a good bit of practice.

RestockingTues
12-30-2008, 07:56 AM
Dude, U juz learn tennis, get your stroke mechanics correct 1st, then only u worry about pace and spin.

This guy's right. I've been playing for 3 years and I STILL can't keep the ball in the court :lol:

ronalditop
12-30-2008, 08:10 AM
This guy's right. I've been playing for 3 years and I STILL can't keep the ball in the court :lol:

really? i've been playing for more than a year and now im a 4.5 and improving.

oneguy21
12-30-2008, 08:28 AM
If you just picked up tennis, don't even focus on pace. You'll need to learn the right stroke techniques before worrying about anything else.

RestockingTues
12-30-2008, 08:30 AM

I think my self esteem just flew over the fence with that last backhand :-?

tenzinrocks
12-30-2008, 10:40 AM

it seems were going through the same thing man. im around that ntrp and I've been playing over a year but not more than 2

futuratennis
12-30-2008, 03:16 PM
u gotta learn the basic fundamentals first... then after youve gotten better at them, thats when u start thinking about pace.. just keep practicing!

Mick
12-30-2008, 03:41 PM
if you guys could reach a true 4.5 level after only playing more than a year, you guys are quite gifted. Lots of people I know can't *ever* get passed the 3.5 level

Headshotterer
12-30-2008, 04:00 PM
Get the mechanics correct
Then add pace

Thats how it works for everything in the world

GeorgeLucas
12-30-2008, 04:02 PM
I started tennis 2 months ago and I just recieved news of my full scholarship to *edited out*'s division one tennis team!! Look for me in the papers!!

Did I mention that I'm 10 years old?

In all seriousness, don't make the mistake of concerning yourself with pace at this level, OP. Focus on solidifying your strokes and keeping consistent.

WildVolley
12-30-2008, 04:08 PM
Learning good technique is the best way to become a good tennis player. Oh, that and practice.

So focus on proper technique and then slowly ratchet up the power.

LeeD
12-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Faster your ball goes, the lower you need to hit it over the net to keep it in.
If you can groundstroke at 100mph, you'd need to keep it close to the net on flat shots, it'd always go out with underspin, and topspin can go in even if it's hit 2' higher than the net.....depending on your actual swing speed and power.
If you hit home runs (in tennis), lower your trajectory.

BullDogTennis
12-30-2008, 06:57 PM

you can ALWAYS take about 1 off anyones self rating.

my recomendating: get a coach, even just for a few weeks, that way you will start off with good mechanics, the key to hitting hard is good mechanics. the key to hitting the ball hard and getting it in is good mechanics. to keep the ball in with pace, you need good mechanics. if your playing someone good, and you want the ball in, you need good mechanics.

get the point?

jasoncho92
12-30-2008, 07:05 PM
if you guys could reach a true 4.5 level after only playing more than a year, you guys are quite gifted. Lots of people I know can't *ever* get passed the 3.5 level
Dont worry, im not kidding when i say this but 75% of all the kids here who have played just a little over a year rate themselves as 4.5s. I really dont take it seriously anymore because for some reason, none of these 4.5s post a video of themselves. I personally reached the 3.5 level very quickly but it took a while to get a 4.0 since i havent been playing regularly.

RestockingTues
12-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Jasoncho92's right :? Last year I believed myself to be a true 4.5; now I consider myself more along the lines of a 3.0 :oops:

LeeD
12-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Ratings really only count by tournament results.
You win a 4.5 tournament, you are at least a 4.5 player.
You hit like RogerFederer, only harder, but you are NOT his level. You might not even be a 4.5.
Lots of good hitters at the courts. Lots of good looking (their STROKES, you dirty minded peeps) players out there, but very few are tournament 4.5's against other 4.5's.
Yes, they can play like 4.5's, ......against 3.5 or friends. But not in real tournaments.

JRstriker12
12-30-2008, 08:00 PM
Faster your ball goes, the lower you need to hit it over the net to keep it in.
If you can groundstroke at 100mph, you'd need to keep it close to the net on flat shots, it'd always go out with underspin, and topspin can go in even if it's hit 2' higher than the net.....depending on your actual swing speed and power.
If you hit home runs (in tennis), lower your trajectory.

Bad advice. Hitting low trajectory, flat balls is not the way to go for a beginner. That's just asking for a world of frustration. It takes a really good player to maintain any sort of rally with only a 2" margin for error on your shot.

Most pros shots clear the net by more than three feet, even when hit with pace.

I'd still advise to Aim higher and deeper, hit with more spin, and learn good fundamental and the pace will come.

RestockingTues
12-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I remember reading an a thread on TW a few months ago about the Five Priorities of Hitting or something like that, I'll be back later after I sift around a bit with the search engine.

baseline08thrasher
12-30-2008, 10:01 PM
Just adapt your game to ZERO pace.
Which = a pusher..... unless you can time the ball well.
=[
that would succkk.

kelz
12-30-2008, 10:49 PM

It starts from tennis forehand mechanics and ranges to the correct racquet setup.

BeHappy
12-30-2008, 11:06 PM
Well, whatever you do, don't just hit the ball flatter, hit with the same low to high path and swing faster.

LeeD
12-31-2008, 10:02 AM
"bad advice"
Yes, maybe for a 3.5 player trying to hit groundies faster than 70 mph, yes.
But for a beginner, and I don't know guy or girl, a flat forehand and backhand is the first step in getting the ball off the moonball stage and into depth with pace.
Lots of top women's pros still hit flat forehands, with barely any top.
Some top men hit flat forehands, but only when they have time to set up, the ball is high, and they're going for winners.
Don't discount flat groundstrokes. They are ONE in a variety you will need when you start to play any level tournaments.
As for the "3"" over the net, of course you know it's an exxageration, don't you? Like my example ... "home run" ball, it's to illustrate to a beginner player the need to control the trajectory. Most beginners can't grasp the concept of hitting 5' over the net, so .... Lower on hard balls, higher on soft balls, is much easier to understand.
I know even a ball machine has trouble keeping EVERY ball 4" above the net.

Mick
12-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Dont worry, im not kidding when i say this but 75% of all the kids here who have played just a little over a year rate themselves as 4.5s. I really dont take it seriously anymore because for some reason, none of these 4.5s post a video of themselves. I personally reached the 3.5 level very quickly but it took a while to get a 4.0 since i havent been playing regularly.

thanks, jason.

according to the USTA tennis rating, after 3 years of playing most young players could only play at a 2.5 level.

now i understand why there are many posts in this forum against pushers, for a decent pusher could beat many 2.5 players.

as for hitting with pace, i feel if you could control the length of your balls well and hit with medium pace, most players will have difficulty returning your balls.

a hard ball that lands close to the service line is easier to return than a medium pace ball that lands an inch or two inside the baseline.

thus, hitting with pace is not as lethal as hitting deep ball consistently.

LeeD
12-31-2008, 11:39 AM
True dat, even slow balls hit deep are more effective than crushers hit short.
But in the evolution of learning to play tennis, you learn to hit hard much easier and early than you learn to control depth.
And hitting hard is more "fun".
Hitting soft with depth is old foogies tennis.
My 3rd season, I got to regularly hit with a stodgy old creaky pusher named TomBrown.
He caressed backhands sidespin, slow, and deep.
He messaged forehands slightly top, but flat, slow and deep.
Guess what? He was a top A player only a couple years before!
A as in 6.0 or so.
OTOH, he'd been playing tennis already for 35+ years, before I got to him.

Mick
12-31-2008, 11:50 AM
so you beat him by playing power tennis ?
that is awesome because TomBrown sounds like a very tough opponent.

LeeD
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Did I say that?
I'd really be stretching the truth, wouldn't I?
I was the main stand-in for BobMurio, his regular practice partner, when HIS dad, John, was sick or close to the end, in '78 or so.
Tom wouldn't waste his time PLAYING against me, except at A tournaments around. We never lined up.
But it's never a bad idea to practice against a lefthander with a two handed backhand who happenned to place second fastest in the amateur class in the GGPark serve contests.
I'd like to think he got something from it, even after all his years.
I learned you can't tell a book by it's cover.

Mick
12-31-2008, 02:37 PM
i misunderstood the phrase "before i got to him"
thanks for sharing the experience :)

LeeD
12-31-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd suspect if we played right then, him at 60 odd years, me at peak 28, I'd get a few points first few games, then he'd frustrate the hey out of me, causing me to start to miss even some easy shots, and before I'd know it, he'd be "sipping a beer" at the sidelines.
I was a solid mid level tournament B with big lefty serves out wide, into the body, and up the middle. Didn't have the twist yet.
My regular weekly partners included PeaLouie and Marcie at GGPark, and the CCSF singles players.
It was an occasional treat to hit with USF's ChuckWhite or GregShepard, but that was only couple times a year.
I did win 5 rounds at '78's TranAmerica qualifying to get anniliated zip zip by some Aucklander RussellSimpson. It would have been embarrassing, but his first serve was regulary blindingly fast at over 135, and he could mostly hit close to the lines, making me panick before I could settle down.
I think he was top 10 the following year, 1979.