PDA

View Full Version : Winter Super National, recruiting, the cold

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Just wondering what the kids & coaches thought & experienced at the Winter Super National.

How has the recruiting process been? How many recruiters there? which ones? Do you get nervous when the recruiters are watching your match?

How do you cope with the cold at the WSN?

Feel free to post any great matches you watched, great sportsmanship, poor sportsmanship, weird stuff.....

SoCal10s
12-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Just wondering what the kids & coaches thought & experienced at the Winter Super National.

How has the recruiting process been? How many recruiters there? which ones? Do you get nervous when the recruiters are watching your match?

How do you cope with the cold at the WSN?

Feel free to post any great matches you watched, great sportsmanship, poor sportsmanship, weird stuff.....

hi tennismom: sorry we couldn't hook up with your son , the 16 and 18 locations are so far apart.... the B16 site is so much better than the B18 site... Scottsdale is in a nice country club type of setting,although is a public facility.. the B18 site is sort of run down and talking to some of the kids,it's not running too good for a level 1 National tournament.. I was there on the first day of play matches were so far behind schedule and they were still putting matches out after 5:30pm and I tell you,it was cold !!! not an ideal tennis weather for sure... I don't know what USTA is thinking when they do this? It was the same thing for the clay court Nats... rain delays and terrible court site for the B18s,compare to the B16 site...
as for college recru!ters,I saw a few but not nearly half of that from Kalamazoo...a lot of the boys are already wearing their college sweaters so it's not really a full speed sort of thing like Kzoo...

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 08:36 AM
hi tennismom: sorry we couldn't hook up with your son , the 16 and 18 locations are so far apart.... the B16 site is so much better than the B18 site... Scottsdale is in a nice country club type of setting,although is a public facility.. the B18 site is sort of run down and talking to some of the kids,it's not running too good for a level 1 National tournament.. I was there on the first day of play matches were so far behind schedule and they were still putting matches out after 5:30pm and I tell you,it was cold !!! not an ideal tennis weather for sure... I don't know what USTA is thinking when they do this? It was the same thing for the clay court Nats... rain delays and terrible court site for the B18s,compare to the B16 site...
as for college recru!ters,I saw a few but not nearly half of that from Kalamazoo...a lot of the boys are already wearing their college sweaters so it's not really a full speed sort of thing like Kzoo...
Funny you mention the worn down look of the 18s site. My son's family sold that land to the City of Phoenix, like 50? years ago. They still live nearby. City Phoenix better take good care of that gem! I've seen too many facilities lost & replaced with condos.

SoCal10s
12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
Funny you mention the worn down look of the 18s site. My son's family sold that land to the City of Phoenix, like 50? years ago. They still live nearby. City Phoenix better take good care of that gem! I've seen too many facilities lost & replaced with condos.

well compared to the Scottsdale place the B18s site looks like the Inner city.. it's OK but it should be better than OK for a level 1 nat's ... I'm staying at a place in Scottsdale and there's a tennis center that has a ton of new courts they could move the 18 site to,the place is on Shea Ave. I think it's something Racket Club... and it's closer to the B16 site...

goober
12-30-2008, 09:26 AM
well compared to the Scottsdale place the B18s site looks like the Inner city.. it's OK but it should be better than OK for a level 1 nat's ... I'm staying at a place in Scottsdale and there's a tennis center that has a ton of new courts they could move the 18 site to,the place is on Shea Ave. I think it's something Racket Club... and it's closer to the B16 site...

The Racquet club is private and filled mostly with middle age and retired folk that probably could care less about junior tennis. I doubt the members that would consent to running a major National tournament there.

I agree PTC is not in a great neighborhood and the courts are at best ok. There are many better public facilities in better locations they could have chosen, but who knows the ins and out of the decisions. PTC has been used for a long time now for winter Nationals. At least the finals are being held in Scottsdale. I may have to head on down since it is only like 10-15 minutes away.:)

SoCal10s
12-30-2008, 10:09 AM
The Racquet club is private and filled mostly with middle age and retired folk that probably could care less about junior tennis. I doubt the members that would consent to running a major National tournament there.

I agree PTC is not in a great neighborhood and the courts are at best ok. There are many better public facilities in better locations they could have chosen, but who knows the ins and out of the decisions. PTC has been used for a long time now for winter Nationals. At least the finals are being held in Scottsdale. I may have to head on down since it is only like 10-15 minutes away.:)
well the winter nat's are billed as a Scottsdale event so why not move it all to Scottsdale... the B16 clay Nat's were at a really nice country club and the 2nd site was also nice.. Broken Sound and Boca West are the 2 best tournament sites I've been to since going around with the nat's tennis scene..in the morning the members come out to play and the tournament is played later after the member are starting to finish,a lot of them stay around to watch the matches,and this is where I feel the USTA has to step up with the officials,, they have to keep all the STUPID IDIOT Kids who like to act up and just get rid of them by issuing warnings and point penalty when they are not in their best behavior...I mean the members do not want to see and hear bad stuff at their club,if all the kids act and behave like they should,the tournaments can get better locations to play at and member would love to watch nice kids hit and play a nice game....

kctennis1005
12-30-2008, 10:56 AM
18s site is def not as good as 16s site as socal10s has said before.....agree with him about clays too. very poorly run tournament here for a level 1 tho....check in was a complete mess and disaster....it took until 3 am the day of doubles for the draws to be up.....the doubles draws changed a couple of times in different divisions....there are no large draws posted at the b18s site....b18s seems very poorly run, 16s site seems good

as for recruiting, there were a fair number of coaches here(prob about 15-20), but i went over to the site today and there were maybe 4 or 5 coaches there....most had already left....the coaches who are here are scoping out top players in the class of 2010 because most of the 2009 players in the draw have already committed. i had 5 or 6 coaches watch my doubles match yesterday, but most were watching because the two guys we played against are top 20 in the nation class of 2010.

the cold was really bad earlier in the tournament, but is much better now....its like 65 degrees right now. i had ice on my car the first day when i woke up so i guess u just have to wake up earlier.

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 12:44 PM
18s site is def not as good as 16s site as socal10s has said before.....agree with him about clays too. very poorly run tournament here for a level 1 tho....check in was a complete mess and disaster....it took until 3 am the day of doubles for the draws to be up.....the doubles draws changed a couple of times in different divisions....there are no large draws posted at the b18s site....b18s seems very poorly run, 16s site seems good

as for recruiting, there were a fair number of coaches here(prob about 15-20), but i went over to the site today and there were maybe 4 or 5 coaches there....most had already left....the coaches who are here are scoping out top players in the class of 2010 because most of the 2009 players in the draw have already committed. i had 5 or 6 coaches watch my doubles match yesterday, but most were watching because the two guys we played against are top 20 in the nation class of 2010.

the cold was really bad earlier in the tournament, but is much better now....its like 65 degrees right now. i had ice on my car the first day when i woke up so i guess u just have to wake up earlier.
What about any great matches you watched or heard about?

Seems like more kids signed early this year, than prior years.

Which college recruiters were there?

kctennis1005
12-30-2008, 01:27 PM
What about any great matches you watched or heard about?

Seems like more kids signed early this year, than prior years.

Which college recruiters were there?

giron v. bangoura was a pretty good match......tchan v. reed was good match

best one was the 1st rd match of bernstein v. pogostkin

coaches there were i think : yale, harvard, princeton, penn st, michigan st, illinois st, niagara, usc, northwestern, minnesota, northern arizona, arizona, florida st, santa clara, purdue, wisconsin, william and mary, georgia st, auburn, new mexico

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 02:34 PM

coaches there were i think : yale, harvard, princeton, penn st, michigan st, illinois st, niagara, usc, northwestern, minnesota, northern arizona, arizona, florida st, santa clara, purdue, wisconsin, william and mary, georgia st, auburn, new mexico
KC, you are the genius everyone describes you as.

kctennis1005
12-30-2008, 03:22 PM
KC, you are the genius everyone describes you as.

what did i say that was genius? haha

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 06:10 PM
what did i say that was genius? haha
you're just a good kid! Smart, observant, articulate, social, courtous. Any college will be lucky to get you!

kctennis1005
12-30-2008, 06:17 PM
you're just a good kid! Smart, observant, articulate, social, courtous. Any college will be lucky to get you!

thank u very much......from what ive seen of your son he seems like quite a good kid as well and where hes going will be lucky to have him

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 08:04 PM
thank u very much......from what ive seen of your son he seems like quite a good kid as well and where hes going will be lucky to have him
I don't know. I think he's a butt sometimes! Non-social, too introverted, doesn't seem very thankful of the wonderful things in his life. The time to cut the apron strings is just 8 months away. Wahooo! Then my next project. Do you know why I picked the handle, "tennismom42?" Can you guess? No it's not my age. .... hint: next project.

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 08:19 PM
I agree PTC is not in a great neighborhood and the courts are at best ok. There are many better public facilities in better locations they could have chosen, but who knows the ins and out of the decisions. PTC has been used for a long time now for winter Nationals. At least the finals are being held in Scottsdale. away.:) I think that Tournament Directors & facilities bid on tournaments. I know one TD and his tournaments go with him, wherever he decides to live. He does Jr nationals and pro tournaments.

Some of the sites get ensconced, no matter how bad they are. The worst place we've ever traveled was the National Open in Grand Blanc, MI. Oh my! My son said it was like playing on a basketball court. Kids were falling on their tailbones and sliding 4-8 feet, every time. (It's a hard court.) But the USTA keeps granting the site the right to hold sanctioned tournaments there. Nuts!

I think WSN is at Phoenix and the PTC because of the # of courts and because of the CopperBowl. People show up for 2 weeks straight.

10isDad
12-30-2008, 08:36 PM
I don't know. I think he's a butt! Non-social, too introverted, not very thankful. The time to cut the apron strings is just 8 months away. Wahooo! Then my next project. Do you know why I picked the handle, "tennismom42?" Can you guess? No it's not my age. .... hint: next project.

He is plenty friendly. When my son and he hit before the tourney he was very polite, inquisitive, started some conversations, talked about college and the facilities where he'll be. You don't give him enough credit.

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 08:44 PM
He is plenty friendly. When my son and he hit before the tourney he was very polite, inquisitive, started some conversations, talked about college and the facilities where he'll be. You don't give him enough credit.
kur-thunk! That was me hitting the floor. He opened his mouth? maybe he's growing up. He'll be back home on the 21st. Remember I was very nervous about him being rude.

SoCal10s
12-30-2008, 09:14 PM

you forgot GP from Boise St. ,there were a few coaches today and yesterday at the B16 site.. this week at the 16 site I saw,Princeton,Boise,Harvard,Georgia St. and a few more I can't seem to recall...I think the whole tournament will move to Scottsdale Ranch Park starting Thursday...

kctennis1005
12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
you forgot GP from Boise St. ,there were a few coaches today and yesterday at the B16 site.. this week at the 16 site I saw,Princeton,Boise,Harvard,Georgia St. and a few more I can't seem to recall...I think the whole tournament will move to Scottsdale Ranch Park starting Thursday...

ya there were quite a few missing from the b18 site today so i figured some went over to the 16s site....any watch jw play?

SoCal10s
12-30-2008, 09:52 PM
ya there were quite a few missing from the b18 site today so i figured some went over to the 16s site....any watch jw play?

no they were already fixed on who they had in mind to watch.. they looked like they all had done their homework and watched only a certain prospects they may have set up with prior to see... one coach asked me if I knew which of the player on his list that he was supposed to watch... and I asked him,who else was he here to watched and he told me specific names... so they all seem like that.. they are not likely to go on a wild goose chase to see everybody out there...
so all you kids out there reading this.. take note:: do your homework and introduce yourself to coaches who you want to be watching and express to them that you are interested in their school and program so they can note you into their schedule .. if they like what they see,they will talk to your parents ....

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 10:07 PM
so all you kids out there reading this.. take note:: do your homework and introduce yourself to coaches who you want to be watching and express to them that you are interested in their school and program so they can note you into their schedule .. if they like what they see,they will talk to your parents .... kids.... But don't violate NCAA rules about contact DURING the tournament. NO recruiting during the tournament. Greetings only. Do your meetings before check-in or after your last match (even if it's doubles).

tennismom42
12-30-2008, 10:10 PM
I noticed Kehrer had 3, 3-setters today. How do those kids do that!? He's not the only one either.

SoCal10s
12-30-2008, 10:19 PM
I noticed Kehrer had 3, 3-setters today. How do those kids do that!? He's not the only one either.
some of the back draw players today had 4 matches.. 2 singles and 2 doubles... so that's a min. of 8 sets and max. of 12 sets for today B16 ... this has to be a lot harder to do than a grand slam event... and no rest tomorrow if you keep winning... the secret is to keep out of the "loser's draw" then you have only one singles match ,once a day,after the first day...

SoCal10s
12-30-2008, 10:23 PM
kids.... But don't violate NCAA rules about contact DURING the tournament. NO recruiting during the tournament. Greetings only. Do your meetings before check-in or after your last match (even if it's doubles).

yes I meant contact them by e-mail,letters,phone,ect beforehand,send them your resume' ,vid,ect whatever before they get to the tournament ... during the tournament,they cannot violate the rules...

10isDad
12-31-2008, 03:58 PM
Went down to Tucson to see some of the 14s play today - also watched a friend's son play in the Copper Bowl Qualifier for the boys 18s. Very different indeed.

For the Copper Bowl Qualifier match, the opponent was some stuck-up little prima donna last name Brej. Biggest cheater I've seen in some time. The friend's son finally got an umpire early in the 2nd set. The kid was overruled twice, the kids dad or coach (don't know which) had to be warned to stop coaching. After the match, Brej wouldn't shake hands and stood on court jawing at the umpire. I heard he made some terrible calls the day prior also.

On the flip side, saw Terrell Celestine against Mack McDonald in the boys 14s semifinals. They both played with poise, always giving the opponent the benefit of the doubt on any close calls. Similarly, saw the first set of Nikko Madregallejo against Sean Karl. Very good sportsmanship throughout.

You'd think a kid trying to qualify in the 18s would be more mature than 14 year olds...in this case, you would be wrong.

tennismom42
12-31-2008, 04:24 PM
Went down to Tucson to see some of the 14s play today - also watched a friend's son play in the Copper Bowl Qualifier for the boys 18s. Very different indeed.

For the Copper Bowl Qualifier match, the opponent was some stuck-up little prima donna last name Brej. Biggest cheater I've seen in some time. The friend's son finally got an umpire early in the 2nd set. The kid was overruled twice, the kids dad or coach (don't know which) had to be warned to stop coaching. After the match, Brej wouldn't shake hands and stood on court jawing at the umpire. I heard he made some terrible calls the day prior also.

On the flip side, saw Terrell Celestine against Mack McDonald in the boys 14s semifinals. They both played with poise, always giving the opponent the benefit of the doubt on any close calls. Similarly, saw the first set of Nikko Madregallejo against Sean Karl. Very good sportsmanship throughout.

You'd think a kid trying to qualify in the 18s would be more mature than 14 year olds...in this case, you would be wrong.
who won between the Brej brat and your friend's son?

10isDad
12-31-2008, 04:50 PM
The friend's son won 6-0, 5-7, 6-4. Justice served.

Pretty good showing by your boy, BTW...

miniRafa386
12-31-2008, 05:07 PM

what other matches did you see in the B18s?

nationals
12-31-2008, 06:38 PM
kids.... But don't violate NCAA rules about contact DURING the tournament. NO recruiting during the tournament. Greetings only. Do your meetings before check-in or after your last match (even if it's doubles).

i actually had a coach come to my first tournament this past monday, and he was waiting outside, i didn;t know he was coming, but he introduced himself, but said he couldn't talk much due to regulations, but brought one of his players along, for me to talk to. It was awsome to see that he came to watch me, especially since this was only my first tournament, so therefore i had no ranking.

tennismom42
12-31-2008, 07:31 PM
The friend's son won 6-0, 5-7, 6-4. Justice served.

Pretty good showing by your boy, BTW...
agreed, he did well in many ways, on & off the courts. He's coming along. It's weird, while they're little, you think, "oh, how cute & sweet." Then at some point(s) ya start the "think, use your head, grow up, be responsible" nagging. What happened?

tennismom42
12-31-2008, 07:34 PM
i actually had a coach come to my first tournament this past monday, and he was waiting outside, i didn;t know he was coming, but he introduced himself, but said he couldn't talk much due to regulations, but brought one of his players along, for me to talk to. It was awsome to see that he came to watch me, especially since this was only my first tournament, so therefore i had no ranking.
How exciting!! Do you have your profile updated on the Tennis Recruiting.net website?

Coaches love to sign an "undiscovered gem."

Again, know the NCAA rules. You didn't violate any rules that I know of. Greetings & intros are allowed. Recruiting can only happend before registration & after last match (S or D). Also, what is your graduating class?

10isDad
01-01-2009, 06:01 AM

The problem with both of the main boys sites is the viewing isn't that good, especially at the Scottsdale location if you're not on the new courts.

I think it'll just be a matter of time until they move the boys 18s to the Surprise Racquet Center. They have 25 courts (one problem they have is only 17 are lighted) and it's great for viewing matches. There is never more than two courts in a section and most of the 2 court pods can be viewed from both sides. They have a small stadium court with cement seating areas and a large stadium court with seating for several hundred with both stadium courts having extra large court areas (probably an extra 15 feet of room behind each baseline and to the sides). The lighting on all lit courts is excellent providing very well lit courts without dark spots.

It's also close enough to the Paseo Racquet Club to use it for overflow. Paseo is another facility that is significantly more up-to-date and viewer friendly than is the Phoenix Tennis Center.

BTW - The only facility on Shea that has a lot of courts is called La Camarilla. They have 16 courts. Haven't been there in over a year, but the quality of the courts used to be terrible and their lights suck. The other Racquet Club mentioned in a response to your post is already used for the boys 18s. Once again horrible viewing: 8 courts arranged side by side, so the only good viewing is if your player is at the far west end or in the center near the small balcony.

T10s747
01-14-2009, 07:21 PM
The Winter Nationals location makes no sense, it's always too damn cold! They should get rid of it and have an indoor national. The 18s Clays is the worse run junior tourney in the country. I'm skipping it this year. They need to move it back to Rockville, MD.

tennismom42
01-14-2009, 07:32 PM
The Winter Nationals location makes no sense, it's always too damn cold! They should get rid of it and have an indoor national. The 18s Clays is the worse run junior tourney in the country. I'm skipping it this year. They need to move it back to Rockville, MD.
where is there an indoor clay?

T10s747
01-16-2009, 07:43 AM
where is there an indoor clay?

I'm talking about the Clay Court Nationals 16s & 18s which was run with class and style in Rockville, MD before it became an abortion in Delray run by professional mgmt that wants to make money and doesn't care about the kids. In Delray there may be only 1 linesman for every 4-8 courts. In Rockville, there was a chair umpire for EVERY match, even backdraw. If you made it to the round of 16, they had a brunch spread that rivaled the Hyatts for players and their families. I'm skipping the Delray Clays because of what happened last year. Due to mismanagement, doubles did not commence until like the 6th day of the event. There where more defaults than contending teams!

goober
01-16-2009, 08:37 AM
nm

SoCal10s
01-16-2009, 08:40 AM
I'm talking about the Clay Court Nationals 16s & 18s which was run with class and style in Rockville, MD before it became an abortion in Delray run by professional mgmt that wants to make money and doesn't care about the kids. In Delray there may be only 1 linesman for every 4-8 courts. In Rockville, there was a chair umpire for EVERY match, even backdraw. If you made it to the round of 16, they had a brunch spread that rivaled the Hyatts for players and their families. I'm skipping the Delray Clays because of what happened last year. Due to mismanagement, doubles did not commence until like the 6th day of the event. There where more defaults than contending teams!

agreed , that Delray Beach place boys 18 was played is a joke compared to the where the boys 16 site.. we would go there AFTER dinner around 9pm and matches were still being played ,because after the rain those old courts never drained and the puddles were everywhere.. we had rain all the time at the B16 site but the courts drained well and they rolled and sweep the courts almost after every match .. I doubt if those courts at Delray ever got any attention at all after a match finished..I gotta say that it was the worse I've seen or a clay court tournament,and this was the highest level boys 18's...I hope USTA will do something about it...maybe we all just have to complain louder...

goober
01-16-2009, 01:10 PM
r.
The other Racquet Club mentioned in a response to your post is already used for the boys 18s. Once again horrible viewing: 8 courts arranged side by side, so the only good viewing is if your player is at the far west end or in the center near the small balcony.

I thought it was used as overflow for the 16s? In any case I think he was suggesting that the Racquet Club be used as a primary site for the 18s instead of PTC, not just an overflow site. Besides probably not being big enough, I don't how much the primary residents would be interested in that set up since it would tie up the courts for a much longer period of time.

10isDad
01-16-2009, 01:20 PM
I thought it was used as overflow for the 16s? In any case I think he was suggesting that the Racquet Club be used as a primary site for the 18s instead of PTC, not just an overflow site. Besides probably not being big enough, I don't how much the primary residents would be interested in that set up since it would tie up the courts for a much longer period of time.

Mis-type - Yes, an overflow for the 16s. Surprise is probably the way to go.

tennismom42
01-17-2009, 03:40 PM
agreed , that Delray Beach place boys 18 was played is a joke compared to the where the boys 16 site.. we would go there AFTER dinner around 9pm and matches were still being played ,because after the rain those old courts never drained and the puddles were everywhere.. we had rain all the time at the B16 site but the courts drained well and they rolled and sweep the courts almost after every match .. I doubt if those courts at Delray ever got any attention at all after a match finished..I gotta say that it was the worse I've seen or a clay court tournament,and this was the highest level boys 18's...I hope USTA will do something about it...maybe we all just have to complain louder...
I agree whole heartedly about the condition of the stadium courts at Delray. They were aweful! Puddles everywhere, clay was too shallow. My son preferred the courts at the Delray Swim & tennis club. It's actually a punishment to perform well & have to play at the stadium for later rounds. I hope they do something to fix that. I think the courts at the stadium need deeper clay.

LSStringing
01-17-2009, 06:32 PM
Who did the stringing at the event?

10isDad
01-17-2009, 06:47 PM
Who did the stringing at the event?

At Winter Nats? A local place called All About Tennis had two stringers at the main Boys 16s site. Not sure if they also did the others.