PDA

View Full Version : I'm Grateful For Once

soyizgood
12-30-2008, 08:55 AM
Today I was on my way to work. I ride my bicycle almost 4 miles each way. But this time I had an unexpected ride. I was heading towards an intersection. The right lane was backed up so I decided to turn onto the left lane. I let a car pass before I opted to change lanes whereas normally I would have just peddled before and gone in. As I was on the lane for a few seconds, my bike chain broke. I lost my balance, bumped into a car on the right lane, and crashed to the ground. On the ground, I grabbed my knee while my right knuckle was bleeding. The driver of the car I bumped into and the driver behind me on the right lane checked to see if I was okay and they helped me get to the sidewalk.

After I called my boss to let her know I'll be late and might not come in, I walked my bike back home. I'll take the bike in to get the chain replaced. As I was walking, I was relatively calm. I would normally be upset and ticked. I was going to get the chain replaced in 3 days as I knew one link was problematic. I probably should have gotten the tire on my other bike fixed to be safe. But I was planning to wait until payday to get it fixed as I usually spend my 2nd check on rent and bills.

Morale of the story. I consider myself fortunate that all I got were light bruises on my knuckle and knee, minor aches, and just a bit of bleeding. Sometimes I think my life sucks and I tend to complain about things I have not achieved yet or didn't achieve in the past. While this accident doesn't change much in the grand scheme of things, I am thankful I do have an opportunity to realize that I shouldn't put money before safety, my life is worth more than I normally estimate it to be, and maybe this was a wake up call for me. I was lucky that there was no car near me on the left lane and that because I bumped into the car on the right lane, it alerted the rear driver on the right lane to slow down.

Now I will return to calming my nerves and resuming the rest of the day.

LuckyR
12-30-2008, 09:01 AM
Glad things didn't turn out worse for you. Yes, seeing the trees instead of the forest is quite enlightening. I like to call such events "a little tuition at the school of hard knocks".

shell
12-30-2008, 09:27 AM
Soyizgood, I'm glad you are alright and not injured (worse).

Yes, I think that sometimes things happen for a reason. We tend to walk through life on cruise control, but every once in a while something knocks us off our path. It gives you a chance to rethink things.

And now it is a new year, a perfect time to gain a little perspective. Make changes, keep what's working....whatever we choose. All with a little reflection.

Lejanius
12-30-2008, 09:56 AM
glad to hear you are alright.

I wish more people in the world were thankful for their situations in life and knew how lucky they were, sometimes it takes something simple for us to realize how lucky we are at times.

Fee
12-30-2008, 10:50 AM
Soyiz, your title for this thread concerns me. You are grateful for once? Really? That can't possibly be true, especially lately. Surely there have been times in the last few months when you have watched the news or seen newspaper headlines and thought to yourself 'phew, at least I have a job, a roof over my head, heating/air conditioning, clothes on my back, and food on my table'? I don't want to get all Oprah on you, but seriously, how good is your life right now? I think that you have been grateful in the past, give yourself some credit.

By the way, I must say that I envy your ability to ride your bike 4 miles a day. I'm not allowed to do any physical activity right now, including riding my bike to work (1.5 miles away). I was so looking forward to that when I got this job back in August, but my back is screwed up (thankfully, I have benefits and we will be working on it). :)

FloridaAG
12-30-2008, 11:01 AM
Happy to here you are ok, man.

soyizgood
12-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Soyiz, your title for this thread concerns me. You are grateful for once? Really? That can't possibly be true, especially lately. Surely there have been times in the last few months when you have watched the news or seen newspaper headlines and thought to yourself 'phew, at least I have a job, a roof over my head, heating/air conditioning, clothes on my back, and food on my table'? I don't want to get all Oprah on you, but seriously, how good is your life right now? I think that you have been grateful in the past, give yourself some credit.

By the way, I must say that I envy your ability to ride your bike 4 miles a day. I'm not allowed to do any physical activity right now, including riding my bike to work (1.5 miles away). I was so looking forward to that when I got this job back in August, but my back is screwed up (thankfully, I have benefits and we will be working on it). :)

This was unusual for me because whenever bad things happen to me, my initial reaction often is more along the lines of "Deja vu", ranting, hissy fits, and/or harsh self-criticism. None of the above went through my mind from this accident.

I didn't even beat myself up for not getting the chains fixed earlier. Turns out my bike has a few other problems as well. That chain was less than a year old, so it broke prematurely. I spent $70 on fixing the bike less than two months ago. It might cost me over $100 to fix the brakes, new chain, and possibly a new gear coupler to go with the labor. I'm just thankful I'm alive. While I'm not happy about the expense that's just as a secondary concern now.

I've had some close calls in life before (including 2 years ago getting attacked by a group of drunk punks in Kiev where someone hit me behind my ear with a stick and another guy punched me in the mouth). And while in those cases I got through them, I tend to harbor some resentment for either being in those situations (whether I was forced into them due to myself or other people) in the first place. Maybe I take too much for granted the things I do have while highlighting the things I don't have or am not. I'll try to look at things in a more balanced light as life is too short to be dwelling over little things (even being just a 3.5 tennis player).

Fee
12-30-2008, 12:04 PM
Well of course we all react whenever bad things happen to us, that's perfectly normal. That attack sounds very serious and it's perfectly okay to have a range of emotions about something horrible like that. Don't beat yourself up about it.

I changed my signature a few days ago because I was half snoozing in a patch of sunlight on the living room floor after a very filling lunch and I realized what a good life I have. It's not a great life, especially by the competitive materialistic standards of some, but I feel blessed anyway. So maybe I should get all Oprah on you. Make a list of all the things that you do have, material, spiritual, emotional, personal, or whatever. I bet you are richer than you thought. You can start with your computer and your internet connection, those are valuable things. :)

sureshs
12-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Always carry a heavy racquet and you will come out the winner in any collision.

vbranis
12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Glad to hear you're okay.

I had a similar incident last year, my chain slipped (not broke) while I was on the shoulder of a busy road, causing my pedals to jam. I lost my balance a bit, and had to swerve onto the right lane before stopping. Luckily, I did not go into the path of any cars. I rearranged the chain in its correct spot, and went on my way. Kind of scary, and considering the road had a speed limit of 50 mph and no stoplights, it could have been very ugly had there been a car behind me.

At least I didn't fall and had no repairs to pay for.:)

gastro54
12-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Yup I've had my scary share of bike accidents... pedal strike taking turns like its TDF, going over handlebars, road tires + ****ing leaves everywhere when it's Fall.

If you live on the edge you're going to get cut

Biking is awesome