PDA

View Full Version : Pick a Video Camera for Me

SlapShot
12-30-2008, 10:22 AM
I'm going to be buying a camera to tape hitting sessions as it's cost prohibitive to pay someone to tape monthly or weekly sessions. I can spend up to $250 without much trouble, and want reasonably decent quality.

Go!

tenzinrocks
12-30-2008, 10:34 AM
around 300, probably less now...i saw a nice sony 30gb HD video camera at fred meyers a few months back so I bet it's cheaper now because of the recent sales.

tenzinrocks
12-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Also, the new Kodak digital camera advertised on TV has 10mp and it's only 180 bucks. What's amazing is that it can actually record HD videos for 40 minutes on a 2gb card. So imagine a 8gb card...and those are cheap

SlapShot
12-30-2008, 10:40 AM
around 300, probably less now...i saw a nice sony 30gb HD video camera at fred meyers a few months back so I bet it's cheaper now because of the recent sales.

Do you know which model?

Is it this guy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8668998&type=product&id=1196470791061

drakulie
12-30-2008, 11:28 AM
slapshot, I agree with tenzinrocks. A small kodak digital camera does wonders, and am sure will suit your needs. Not only that, they take very good photos, and are easy to carry around. All the photos/videos I have posted were done with a kodak v610. Am very happy with it, and still use it quite a bit.

Although I will now begin using my new camera to get tennis photos (casio ex-f1). Different animal all together. But will still use the kodak for other things.

Good luck.

gastro54
12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
Go with the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX35 over the kodak. You'll get better quality video and photos. The FX35 also does 720p. Search FX35 on vimeo.com to see sample vids.

SlapShot
12-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Would it really be just as effective to get a decent digital camera (frame rate and video quality-wise)? I'm hoping to tape hour long hitting sessions and practice sets.

gastro54
12-30-2008, 12:57 PM
A dedicated video camera will give you better video footage no doubt, but the compact digital cameras can do 720p 30fps, which is adequate quality to see what you could improve in your strokes.

Alternatively, you could go with the new dedicated camcorder Aiptek Action-HD GVS that goes for around $200 (walgreens.com) and will shoot 1080p30fps or 720p60fps. The 60fps will be beneficial if you want to do slow motion analysis

SlapShot
12-30-2008, 06:47 PM
I'm leaning toward this guy: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-SDR-S7S-SD-Card-Camcorder-Silver-SDRS7S/sem/rpsm/oid/202555/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I checked it out tonight and the size is right and so is the price.

shell
12-31-2008, 08:44 AM
I'm leaning toward this guy: http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Panasonic-SDR-S7S-SD-Card-Camcorder-Silver-SDRS7S/sem/rpsm/oid/202555/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Thanks for the tip. I'll check that one out. I just want to be able to do simple stuff so small, simple and cheap is the ticket.

tenzinrocks
12-31-2008, 09:05 AM

That one is good too. I'm sure it can do high quality videos on the internet such as Youtube. Just don't forget to try before you buy. Test it out in the store. If I were you, I'd buy the new Kodak 10mp digital camera that was on tv ad just few days ago. It records HD videos. And the memory cards are cheap, you can probably get a 8b for $25

gastro54
12-31-2008, 12:22 PM

This wont record HD if you were interested in that.

SlapShot
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
This wont record HD if you were interested in that.

HD isn't a big deal - it's for stroke analysis and match play videos. The reason that I'm leaning toward an actual camcorder is the ability to tripod mount it easily and the length of video I can take, and apart from the Aiptek stuff, nothing in my price range does HD. I would like to be able to fit an entire hour long or longer hitting session/practice set on video.

gastro54
12-31-2008, 01:08 PM
HD isn't a big deal - it's for stroke analysis and match play videos. The reason that I'm leaning toward an actual camcorder is the ability to tripod mount it easily and the length of video I can take, and apart from the Aiptek stuff, nothing in my price range does HD. I would like to be able to fit an entire hour long or longer hitting session/practice set on video.

That makes sense - you will be able to get longer recording times with a dedicated camcorder.

I use one of these for my digicam - makes it really easy to mount to the fence behind where you hit since you can wrap the legs around the metal
http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/
http://www.joby.com/images/gpod-pole.jpg

tenzinrocks
12-31-2008, 01:27 PM
That makes sense - you will be able to get longer recording times with a dedicated camcorder.

I use one of these for my digicam - makes it really easy to mount to the fence behind where you hit since you can wrap the legs around the metal
http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/
http://www.joby.com/images/gpod-pole.jpg

Why would you want to record sideways?

tenzinrocks
12-31-2008, 01:29 PM

I know you don't <b>NEED</b> HD, but knowing that the camera that only costs under $180 can do it makes you save money and be even more satisfied. You can have a lot of money left over even after buying the big memory card and tripod. If I were you, I'd get the digital camera that does HD, it's only $179

gastro54
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
Why would you want to record sideways?

-_- ..... the legs are flexible so you can position the camera however you want. It wouldn't be mounted like that if you wanted to attach it to a fence

SlapShot
12-31-2008, 01:37 PM
I know you don't <b>NEED</b> HD, but knowing that the camera that only costs under $180 can do it makes you save money and be even more satisfied. You can have a lot of money left over even after buying the big memory card and tripod. If I were you, I'd get the digital camera that does HD, it's only $179

The only hitch for me is the ability to do longer videos - I know that a digital camera can take HD video, and that's fantastic, but since this is going to be solely for video (not for snapshots), I feel that I'm best served going to an actual camcorder.

Every review that I've read regarding a snapshot camera that can take video has said that video isn't the camera's strong point.

tenzinrocks
12-31-2008, 01:45 PM
The only hitch for me is the ability to do longer videos - I know that a digital camera can take HD video, and that's fantastic, but since this is going to be solely for video (not for snapshots), I feel that I'm best served going to an actual camcorder.

Every review that I've read regarding a snapshot camera that can take video has said that video isn't the camera's strong point.

that's true but you can always take off HD mode to make longer videos. But the thing about camcorders is they take FOREVER to transfer videos and most of them under 300 have to do usb so you have to go to review mode, play it, and click record on the computer, then you have to watch the whole video until you want to stop it at the point you want. So a 1 hour video will take 1 hour of transferring because you're recording. My Sony Cyber-shot was 150 dollars and its 7mp, i have a 4gb memory card($15), and it can record 2 hours of high quality video and I just take out the memory card, put it on the comp, and it's already ready to view and upload.

gastro54
12-31-2008, 02:05 PM
that's true but you can always take off HD mode to make longer videos. But the thing about camcorders is they take FOREVER to transfer videos and most of them under 300 have to do usb so you have to go to review mode, play it, and click record on the computer, then you have to watch the whole video until you want to stop it at the point you want. So a 1 hour video will take 1 hour of transferring because you're recording. My Sony Cyber-shot was 150 dollars and its 7mp, i have a 4gb memory card($15), and it can record 2 hours of high quality video and I just take out the memory card, put it on the comp, and it's already ready to view and upload.

Yea maybe if it was year 2000 and you still recorded things to tape. His camcorder uses an SD card so you can just copy the file

tenzinrocks
12-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Yea maybe if it was year 2000 and you still recorded things to tape. His camcorder uses an SD card so you can just copy the file

I still prefer digital camera over camcorders, digital cameras are cheaper and they have an HD mode if you need it.

hyogen
12-31-2008, 03:44 PM
slapshot, I agree with tenzinrocks. A small kodak digital camera does wonders, and am sure will suit your needs. Not only that, they take very good photos, and are easy to carry around. All the photos/videos I have posted were done with a kodak v610. Am very happy with it, and still use it quite a bit.

Although I will now begin using my new camera to get tennis photos (casio ex-f1). Different animal all together. But will still use the kodak for other things.

Good luck.

so you got it!!

i took some more and better vids yesterday and will post some up soon :D

SlapShot
12-31-2008, 05:15 PM

My laptop has an SD port, so transferring files isn't going to be nearly as painful as that.

Tennisguy777
12-31-2008, 05:21 PM

Good luck.

right again! Kodak easyshare z1285 is a beast just look at the videos I took with it on my backhand thread. And for $160 it's a steal did I mention it takes HD video and is 12.0 MP.

SlapShot
12-31-2008, 05:30 PM
right again! Kodak easyshare z1285 is a beast just look at the videos I took with it on my backhand thread. And for $160 it's a steal did I mention it takes HD video and is 12.0 MP.

It also has a 29 minute max video time. Not enough for a practice set, let alone a practice match.

atatu
12-31-2008, 07:54 PM

Spend the extra $50 and get the Canon Fs 100, you won't be sorry.

Tennisguy777
01-01-2009, 12:39 PM
It also has a 29 minute max video time. Not enough for a practice set, let alone a practice match.

with an 8GB SD card you can record probably 5 plus hrs of HD video as I filmed the entire Phillies parade in HD. Yes the videos are limited to 29 mins each so that it doesn't take forever to process them and store them on card you can combine them to make 1 long video on your pc later.

gastro54
01-01-2009, 01:20 PM
with an 8GB SD card you can record probably 5 plus hrs of HD video as I filmed the entire Phillies parade in HD. Yes the videos are limited to 29 mins each so that it doesn't take forever to process them and store them on card you can combine them to make 1 long video on your pc later.

There is no way that is true. An 8GB card can hold maybe 2hrs max at 1280x720 30fps HQ.

Additionally, even if you could record 5hrs HD on the card, your battery would be dead well before that.

SlapShot
01-01-2009, 01:27 PM

That'd be fine, but then I'd have to go reset the camera every 29 minutes.

I've actually begun leaning toward the JVC GZ-MS100 - the price is right and the reviews have said that it's comparable (if not a bit better) than the Canon FS100.

Tennisguy777
01-01-2009, 02:28 PM
There is no way that is true. An 8GB card can hold maybe 2hrs max at 1280x720 30fps HQ.

Additionally, even if you could record 5hrs HD on the card, your battery would be dead well before that.

Not when you have energizer rechargeable 2500 mah NIMH. It lasted almost 5 hrs.

Tennisguy777
01-01-2009, 02:29 PM
That'd be fine, but then I'd have to go reset the camera every 29 minutes.

I've actually begun leaning toward the JVC GZ-MS100 - the price is right and the reviews have said that it's comparable (if not a bit better) than the Canon FS100.

It looks nice! But I bought mine because I wanted it for pics not really for video.

Tennis_Monk
01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
I would recommend this

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Aiptek-HSHD-Flash-Drive-SD-Card-High-Speed-HD-Camcorder-HSHD/sem/rpsm/oid/210950/catOid/-13063/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

I have used this. It can record 60 frames per second (as opposed to standard 30 fps) of HD and it makes a great difference when you can play back in Slow motion. Moreover it only costs 149$ ( i got it for 79$ in a deal).

You can break down the Video for pics (Software provided).

SlapShot
01-01-2009, 08:25 PM
I actually bought this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8942415&type=product&id=1215217299266

After really examining what I need, I figured that I'd be best served with a good still camera that can do video (as a few people may have suggested and I wasn't listening.....:p), and this can do over an hour of standard def video, or 29 minutes of HD (I'll probably leave it on standard def 99% of the time).

I might even get a chance to shoot some video tomorrow...

Tennis_Monk
01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
I actually bought this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8942415&type=product&id=1215217299266

After really examining what I need, I figured that I'd be best served with a good still camera that can do video (as a few people may have suggested and I wasn't listening.....:p), and this can do over an hour of standard def video, or 29 minutes of HD (I'll probably leave it on standard def 99% of the time).

I might even get a chance to shoot some video tomorrow...

I hope you also bought the High speed memory to go with this camera. Otherwise you will see a lot of Shutter lag and the pics would be slightly off timed.

SlapShot
01-02-2009, 08:56 PM
I hope you also bought the High speed memory to go with this camera. Otherwise you will see a lot of Shutter lag and the pics would be slightly off timed.

I got the high speed memory and updated the firmware - much less lag than my old camera.