PDA

View Full Version : when your teammate makes a different call

bruce
02-19-2005, 09:57 PM
OK, here's the situation: you're playing doubles. The ball comes at your from the opposition. It bounces what looks to you, pretty clearly, out, and you make the appropriate call. Meanwhile, your partner has signaled that the ball was good.

The opposition now wants the point, and argues that your partner called the ball in.

What should you do? More to the point, is there anything in the rules about this?

Bruce

p.s. as added info, your angle to see the bounce allowed more accuracy than your partners view

Kaptain Karl
02-19-2005, 10:22 PM
Unfortunately for you, even though you had the better angle of sight, your partner's call puts you into the "when in doubt, the ball was good" spot.

In these situations, you should immediately "correct" you own call and agree with your partner, that the ball was good. Then speak privately to your partner and calmly / gently make sure he/she never again calls a ball when you have the better angle.

Never argue with your partner about a call in front of your opponents. Even if you "win" ... you'll lose.

- KK

equinox
02-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Your partner shouldn't have signalled that ball was IN. Only when the ball is OUT.

A lady i play with has tendency on important points to call shots out before the ball lands.

I've quickly checked the ball mark and corrected her early call of OUT and given the point to our opposition.

Even though i was right in my action. I'd advise you NOT to question your partners call...your partner may take it as personal attack on their honesty, when in fact they just made a mistake of not giving opposition the benefit of doubt on close call.

Alas correcting your partners calls will lead to a very b1+Cy and unpleasant drive back to home courts. :(

So...Just nod your head and say "yep just missed, bad luck".

AndrewD
02-20-2005, 06:48 AM
Equinox, I think she must be related to ALL of the old girls I used to play mixed with lol. I swear, if she wears dark glasses and sports an arm brace and visor then I played with her sister lol.

bruce, bad luck on that one but you should concede the point. Assuming your partner was on his/her side of the court Ive got no idea why they would take it on themselves to start calling your side as well as theirs but, like Kaptain K said, your team has created doubt and when in doubt concede the point. You just dont want to get into a situation where the other team doesnt trust your calls. Makes things unpleasant all round.

If it happens again, say something to your partner, nicely, quietly, along the lines of '??, you know that ball you called good was out by quite a bit'. Leave it at that and you'll probably find they'll be hesitant to call your side again. Definately not something you want them to get in a habit of doing.

NoBadMojo
02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
lots of times it depends on your opponents....mistakes happen..as long as there isnt a trend or anything intentional, this isnt a big deal, but you guys are right, you've got to give the point to the other team if there is a discrepency....but......good opposing sportsmen may give you the point back if they had a clear view and it was a pretty obvious error.i know i wouldnt want a point that way.

Stuck
02-20-2005, 10:24 AM
The only call your partner should be assisting you with is the serve. If they are helping with other calls you should bring them close to you and say. I'll make the calls when it's infront of me and you do the same. Otherwise It is just stupid for your parner to call a ball in when you have called it out.

tennis-n-sc
02-20-2005, 05:05 PM
I can tell from the original post the poster's partner was probably right. Bruce, you say the ball looked pretty clearly out, which to me leaves room for doubt. Two rules come into this situation. 1) Any ball not seen clearly out is deemed to be good. 2) If there is a disagreement between two partners on this issue, the call goes to opponents. Really, tennis is one of the few games that requires our opponents to apply validity to our game. So good sportmanship is essential. I agree totally with Kapt. Karl's approach to the handling of the situation.

Steve Huff
02-20-2005, 08:22 PM
Kaptain Karl had a great explanation, and he is completely correct about this situation. Think positively--you're better off on the tennis court than in criminal court where 1 poor judgement can negate 11 other sane minds.

Geezer Guy
02-22-2005, 07:27 AM
Do either the Rules or the Code actually say that if partners make differing calls the ball is automatically "good"? My partner and I both give our opponents the benefit of the doubt if we're not POSITIVE of a call, and occasionally one of us will signal a ball good from across the court when the other player looking down the line will clearly see the ball out. In that case (and it happens vary rarely) the person with the better angle/view will correct the other person. We have not had any complaints from our opponents. (And, as I think about it, we've had opponents that did the same thing and it didn't bother us.) Our intent is to make the most accurate call possible, and play from there. (I know when I'm returning serve there are a lot of serves I would have called "good" if I'd been playing singles, but my doubles partner calls them long. No one has ever accused him of bad calls, so I'm assuming he's calling them correctly.) Have we been doing it wrong?

Kaptain Karl
02-22-2005, 08:37 AM
From The Code, Part II, 14...
Partners’ disagreement on calls. If doubles partners disagree about whether their opponents’ ball was out, they shall call it good. It is more important to to give your opponents the benefit of the doubt than to avoid possibly hurting your partner’s feelings by not overruling. The tactful way to achieve the desired result is to tell your partner quietly of the mistake and then let your partner concede the point. If a call is changed from out to good, the point is replayed only if the out ball was put back in play.

Geezer - The way you guys do it doesn’t “seem wrong” to me, but a “strict” adherence to The Code would say so.

In doubles, we have lost a point after the opponent with the (clearly better angle) has corrected a “Good” call from his partner ... and we have not challenged them to “follow The Code.”

But that’s because almost all the guys I play with -- even in singles -- will repair a “Good” call from an opponent against themselves, when we know our shot was really out. [I’m at net, running my opponent deep and wide to his FH; my drop-volley to his BH just misses, but he can’t see that from there and says, “Great shot!” Naturally -- because I only want points I really won -- I call the point for my opponent....]

The Code is a very good guide ... but I would say you and your buddies are doing okay.

- KK