PDA

View Full Version : How to handle low balls on the forehand side?

icyhot
12-30-2008, 03:43 PM
Whenever I try to return balls that are low and on my forehand side, they all go flying out. Any tips would be appreciated.

tenzinrocks
12-30-2008, 03:44 PM
Try slicing them back or drop shot

TonyB
12-30-2008, 04:01 PM
1. Slice.

2. Bend your knees and take a shorter swing. Keep the ball out in front of you.

3. Switch to a more eastern grip and whip the ball "Nadal-like" to generate topspin.

ronalditop
12-30-2008, 04:02 PM
if they go out maybe you're opening the face of the racquet too much. you have to hit it from the bottom up but with a bigger angle than in any other shot.

oneguy21
12-30-2008, 04:03 PM
Get low and stay low and then use the racquet head to brush up the ball for some spin. Always take the racquet back early and keep your eye on the ball until contact. The golden rule is to get low. More is help is on the way from Bungalo Bill.

Mada
12-30-2008, 04:22 PM
Slice or do a buggy whip shot.

SteveI
12-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Get low and stay low and then use the racquet head to brush up the ball for some spin. Always take the racquet back early and keep your eye on the ball until contact. The golden rule is to get low. More is help is on the way from Bungalo Bill.

Like I tell my students... get you butts near the court of those low ones and use those legs

icyhot
12-30-2008, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll try bending my knees more and hitting it out farther in front of me (and also practice my forehand slice). I forgot to say, I hit my forehand semi-western.

ericwong
12-30-2008, 05:00 PM
Its time to put forehand slice into use.

bad_call
12-30-2008, 05:10 PM
try "pushing" the ball back...you'll quickly know if you hit it properly depending on how fast the returning ball comes.

LeeD
12-30-2008, 05:30 PM
Semi western grip !
Are you tall and skinny? If so, maybe better to go extreme topspin leading with the upper edge of the racket and brushing thru with as much racket head speed as you can muster.
If you easily get down to the ball, shorter overall, it's still hard to slice with a semi western off your shins, but can be done.
I'd go more sidespin down the line, making the ball curve away from the opponent. Sidespin rather than underspin.
But I'm stiff and skinny, tough to reach my ankles anytime ever.

oneguy21
12-30-2008, 06:20 PM
If your going to slice I suggest you switch your grip to continental. I find it nearly impossible to slice with a semiwestern grip.

BullDogTennis
12-30-2008, 08:21 PM
bend down and flip that thing back deep! i myself have never had trouble with low forehands. but low backhands thats another story. its all about getting low though! and keeping that ball out in front.

gastro54
12-30-2008, 08:46 PM
Go for topspin instead of slice. Get low and hit through the ball brushing up. If you learn to deal with low balls this way you wont have to worry about switching grips to hit a slice as slice is an awkward shot to pull off with a SW/W grip

tenzinrocks
12-30-2008, 09:24 PM
Go for topspin instead of slice. Get low and hit through the ball brushing up. If you learn to deal with low balls this way you wont have to worry about switching grips to hit a slice as slice is an awkward shot to pull off with a SW/W grip

How can he possibly get a topspin forehand from going low to high when he is using a semi-western grip and he states the ball is already low? does he want to mess up his racquet?

KerryJ
12-30-2008, 09:28 PM
...do a buggy whip shot.

I was just about to say that. I've never heard anyone else call the 'reverse forehand' a buggy whip. Where'd you learn that from?

[K]aotic
12-31-2008, 01:03 AM
How can he possibly get a topspin forehand from going low to high when he is using a semi-western grip and he states the ball is already low? does he want to mess up his racquet?

good players would rather win a match than worry about their racket paintjobs.

On low balls, i bend my knees and try to get as much topspin as possible. go for a more loopy shot rather than a driving shot. This should increase the percentage of the shot.

Element54
12-31-2008, 08:05 AM
Yep the Nadal-esqe whippy shot is needed. The ball is low, so you have to be prepared to add a lot of topspin/sidespin on the ball to get it over. If you hesitate and the racket-head speed is now fast enough, it won't go over. Experiment on this technique.

gastro54
12-31-2008, 08:06 AM

1. Bend your knees
2. Swing the racquet so that it goes lower than the ball and swings up through it

A player shouldn't be concerned about scraping the paint. Your racquet is a tool, not a sculpture.

LeeD
12-31-2008, 08:43 AM
Question is, how low to we really mean?
If it's ankle high, we can whip the ball with topspin, but lots of side making the ball oval with extreme spin...so it drops well into the court.
If it's toe high, like 2", then a version of slice or sidespin is needed, FOR SURE!
Just how low IS this ball? And shouldn't we just get lazy and say... "nice shot" ??????

icyhot
12-31-2008, 07:52 PM
I've been working on my forehand slice, but its not really helpful if my opponent is at the net. So yea, I think topspin is better. I'll try for the loopier shot than for the more aggressive, flatter shot.

In D Zone
12-31-2008, 09:39 PM
^^^^
Most 1bh players use the backhand slice all the time against a low flat ball to the backhand, so why would it be different on a forehand side / using forehand slice?

You can still hit a winner using the slice even the opponent has closed into the net. (I've done it multiple times), You have to make sure the height of ball does not float up - otherwise you are bound to get smacked. Also, you must be able to slice the ball on all directions; making your opponent guessing where the slice is going.

Topspin, if you have enough time to get to the ball. Bent knees and bring the racquet low - ball contact in front, use a compact swing to brush thru the shot (windshield washer). To generate a good topspin, you must follow thru with the racquet across to the opposite side of the shoulder.

If the ball comes in low and with pace. You can also hit the ball back with a half volley (Stepanek style). This is a bit more tickier and harder to do but with the right timing it can yield devastating return. Using the racquet as the backboard to return the ball - result can be a drop shot or a short weak return - normally catching the opponent off guard.

Lastly, be a PUSHER - simple hit the ball back with a relax swing - basically you are blocking the ball back with no pace (defensive shot) or lob the ball. When using these last two shots, ball should land behind the service line and to the middle or to the open court. Purpose of this last choice to simple getting the ball in place and buying you time to reset for the next shot. Be prepare to keep you cool and stay with the ball - opponent will try to pound with the more heavy shots. If you can employ the same return two to three times, you'll be surprised that you'll be winning some point due to the opponent trying to over hit / causing errors.

In D Zone
12-31-2008, 09:58 PM
I know there is alot I covered above. There is no one size fits all solution . These are basically different strategies you must know how and when to use it against specific situation in a match. It may take awhile to remember but as you learn to use it, you'll find that you are taking your game to the next level.

dozu
01-01-2009, 03:59 AM
go cross court 9 out of 10 of these shots, it gives you a lot more court to hit into.... only hit 1 out of 10 DTL to keep opp honest.

eagle
01-01-2009, 04:01 AM
Agree with in d zone.

Depending on height, speed, spin of the ball coupled with your positioning on the court, it could be a squash shot, a slice, a scoop, a reverse forehand, or a running forehand.

r,
eagle