PDA

View Full Version : !Computer guys I need your help!Can't put vid onto computer

Ballinbob
12-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Okay, to make it short, I have some footage on my camcorder that I want to put onto my computer. The model number is PV-GS36 and its a panosonic, and I have a sony laptop and its a PC if that helps. Oh and its windows xp. This is what's happening:

1. I put the USB cord into the computer and I connected it o the camcorder. I made sure the camcorder is turned on and on PC mode
2. I plug it in, and I get the "dun dun" sound when you plug in any USB device. Then at the bottom right it gives me an eject device thing and it says that the camcorder is working properly. So far so good right...?

Here's whats happening though
I go to the "my computer" so I can download the video from the camera to the computer...but theres no icon on the "my computer" folder that says there's even a camcorder plugged in! I'm like wtf, it says its plugged in at the bottom right of my screen.

So what's happening.... This is what I do to get pictures from my digital camera and it works good for that. Is it different for videos? Oh and if you need more information just ask, I should be able to supply all the info needed.

ThankS!!!!!!:):)

autumn_leaf
12-30-2008, 06:18 PM
not exactly sure, but was there a cd that came with the camcorder? cause some devices can't be read correctly by the pc without a program.

Andres
12-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Check your My Computer for a removable hard drive. That might be the cam's memory card.

Bottle Rocket
12-30-2008, 06:30 PM
not exactly sure, but was there a cd that came with the camcorder? cause some devices can't be read correctly by the pc without a program.

Yep... Drivers!

I did a quick search of the model and the word driver and found this for download:

http://www.xpvistasite.com/pv_gs36_31074.htm

I am surprised it doesn't come with it installed on the camera that automatically installs on your computer, but I am also completely unfamiliar with what kind of camera this is.

Ballinbob
12-30-2008, 06:33 PM
thanks, ill download that driver and check it out

sruckauf
12-30-2008, 11:57 PM
Check to see if your camcorder requires a firewire connection, instead of USB. Tons of camcorders don't support USB, surprisingly. (and equally frustrating)

diredesire
12-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Check to see if your camcorder requires a firewire connection, instead of USB. Tons of camcorders don't support USB, surprisingly. (and equally frustrating)

This is typically the problem :(

Edit: Since your cam is a mini-DV, that is almost guaranteed to be the problem.

TW_VideoMasterMind
12-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Have you tried using your video editing software to import? Since video doesn't involve the "drag and drop" method like still cameras do (unless you are using a memory card) it requires a "capture" element. I'd say if the software isn't showing it in the import/capture window, then you should check the drivers (as posted above) and try using firewire if possible (also mentioned above).

Gottabekin
12-31-2008, 06:10 AM
Yep, like mentioned above, you need a Firewire cable to connect your camcorder to your computer to transfer the miniDV video. The USB cable will only be able to transfer the pictures for you, if you have taken any.

35ft6
12-31-2008, 06:57 AM
I've had problems with Windows computers reading USB microdrives and it was because it thought, wrongly, it was an application. And yes, it showed up on the bottom as being connected, but I just couldn't access its contents.

There's a way to get around this but I can't remember. An assistant editor did it.

Like people said, if you shot the footage to tape, you need firewire. If it's stored as files on a card of some sort, then USB would work, and maybe the problem is similar to what I described above.

abenguyen
12-31-2008, 07:19 AM
check for drivers like previously said, also check to see if the camcorder has some type of 'usb mode' on the camcorder. usually the dial knob that you turn to change from pictures, to video has the usb mode on it, that know should be on usb mode if you have one.

crazysoccer00
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM
Actually not all miniDV camcorders require a FIREWIRE connection.

I have a samsung miniDV camcorder and I can use USB to capture video.

I had to install drivers/codecs etc first in order for it to work though

Ballinbob
12-31-2008, 10:00 AM
This is typically the problem :(

Edit: Since your cam is a mini-DV, that is almost guaranteed to be the problem.

Lol im going to sound stupid saying this, but firewire and USB are the same thing aren't they? And I really was hoping this would be alot easier, so far this has been a pain in the as$ to post a vid. All the guys on tennis tips/instuction part of the forums are waiting for my vid and I want to get it up asap.

Thanks guys

Oh, and I'll try seeing if I can find a driver that will let me use a USB cord. Also, I recorded it on "tape recording mode" not "card recording mode". This means I probably either need a firewire cable or get a driver to allow me to use a USB right?

Ballinbob
12-31-2008, 10:40 AM
Wait guys I have an idea!!

Okay, would this be easier than getting drivers/firewire cable?

I plus my camcorder into my Tv and play it. Then i record the footage onto a DVD. Then I plug the dvd into my comp and edit as needed. Would this easier than going and finding drivers?

Opinions on this please???

TW_VideoMasterMind
12-31-2008, 10:45 AM
I'm on the verge of having you send me the footage so I can do it for you. Make the pain stop :)

I think you should try the drivers idea first

Ballinbob
12-31-2008, 10:49 AM
I'm on the verge of having you send me the footage so I can do it for you. Make the pain stop :)

I think you should try the drivers idea first

Haha am I really making this too hard? And how do I send you the footage if its not on my computer lol?

Alright I'll go searching around for drivers then. :)

sruckauf
12-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Lol im going to sound stupid saying this, but firewire and USB are the same thing aren't they?

No, not the same. This page is a little outdated, but still correct. Shows some relevant screenshots.

http://www.directron.com/firewirevsusb.html

diredesire
12-31-2008, 06:40 PM
Lol im going to sound stupid saying this, but firewire and USB are the same thing aren't they? And I really was hoping this would be alot easier, so far this has been a pain in the as$ to post a vid. All the guys on tennis tips/instuction part of the forums are waiting for my vid and I want to get it up asap.

Thanks guys

Oh, and I'll try seeing if I can find a driver that will let me use a USB cord. Also, I recorded it on "tape recording mode" not "card recording mode". This means I probably either need a firewire cable or get a driver to allow me to use a USB right?
No, they are definitely not the same thing ;)
For all intents and purposes, they act as a link between two compatible devices, but the protocol is different.

As far as USB transfer, most of the mini DV cams that I've used (JVC, Sony, Canon) have used a FW cable to transfer. I'm not surprised that there are cams that allow USB transfer, but I would guess that you need the firewire cable.

Once you have the firewire cable and a socket to connect it to, you typically turn your computer to either "VCR" mode or "Record mode" and the computer should automatically detect your camera. Once you have done this, just go to windows movie maker (under start -> Programs) and then you should be able to "import automatically" the video feed. After that just save it, it should be good to go. Choose the format accordingly. I like to use DV-AVI/highest quality and encode to XVID or DIVX. If you just want easy, I recommend a low resolution AVI/MPG or WMV. (Depending on how you are going to use it).

Wait guys I have an idea!!

Okay, would this be easier than getting drivers/firewire cable?

I plus my camcorder into my Tv and play it. Then i record the footage onto a DVD. Then I plug the dvd into my comp and edit as needed. Would this easier than going and finding drivers?

Opinions on this please???

This is wasteful, I would imagine a FW cable came with your retail package when you purchased your camera. Many mini-DV cams do not allow transfer via USB regardless of getting drivers. I would guess (just from experience) that it is less common to have a USB transfer vs fw, but then again, I've only used about 4 or 5 models, and i'm sure there are hundreds out there.

You could use the "play on TV" method, but the resolution might suck.

Ballinbob
12-31-2008, 07:21 PM
Okay guys I went and found the manual for this thing. It says that I need a USB driver so I can connect it usuing a usb.

Here's where it says to go to:http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Drivers-and-Downloads/list-75489-Camcorders

And quoting from the manual: Click [USB Driver (for Web Camera)]

But when you go to this site you dont see anything that says web camera. Also, there are like a million USB drivers. So which one do I pick??

Ballinbob
12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
cmon guys someone help lol! I'm so close, I know it!

okay im downloading every usb driver on that site. I'm too impatient... I just want this thing up

Ballinbob
12-31-2008, 08:42 PM
Okay, I'm stuck... This should be the easiest thing in the world to take a vid off my camera onto my comp..no idea why its so hard. I can get the vid up on youtube from there no prob, its just this.

Here are the instructions word for word from the manual for installing the USB driver. Maybe Im missing something? I think I'm doing it right, but why isn't anything working?

-For windows ex users, the USB equipment operates with the drivers installed standard on your OS
-If you have internet access, please download the USB driver

1. To download and install the Driver, go to: http://www.panasonic.com/consumerdownloads
2.Click [Camcorder] on the screen
3.Click [USB driver (for web camera)]
4. Decompress the downloaded data
5.Double click the computer icon (there's a picture here in place of the comp icon)

Also, its telling me that if I have it recorded it on a tape (which I do) its best to use the camera as a "web camera". It says: "if the camcorder is connected to your personal comp, you can send video and sound from the camcorder to the other parties via the network".

That's all its giving me for transferring footage if I have it on a tape. It says usuing it as a webcamera is best. It goes on and gives me instructions on how to use MSN mesenger (which I have) as a means to transferring the video. In the mean time, I'm uninstalling the driver I have and reinstalling it. Maybe it'll help, not sure.

edit-found the driver but it doesnt work on windows xp. What should I do?
Here it is: http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/support/Cameras-Camcorders/Camcorders/MiniDV-Camcorders/model.PV-GS36

edit again- I talked to my uncle whos good with these things and we couldn't find a driver. He suggested I record it on DVD and go from there. I spent all today working on this, sooo frustrating.

TW_VideoMasterMind
01-02-2009, 08:41 AM
did you ever open up your video editing software to see if the capture device could find the camera plugged in? I'm curious to know what you are using to import the footage.

Ballinbob
01-02-2009, 09:03 AM
did you ever open up your video editing software to see if the capture device could find the camera plugged in? I'm curious to know what you are using to import the footage.

Hey I got the video up but I had to burn a DVD then from the DVD i uploaded everything (if that makes sense lol). The quality is good and all so I'm happy. I never found a driver for the camcorder and I never figured out how to stream the video directly from the camera-computer so I had to use the DVD method. I also asked my uncle about the firewire (he built his computer), and he said the firewire cable is just faster than a USB and there's no big difference. I tried the USB cable and a firewire and nothing. I'm happy I got the vid up and all, but I still wonder why the camera is being so stupid and making me use the DVD method...