PDA

View Full Version : Video of my groundstrokes. Any critique appreciated!

TennisNinja
12-30-2008, 06:55 PM
Hi everyone, just a little background. I'm 15 and started when I was 11. This is me hitting at Robinswood with a ball machine. I have more videos, but they wouldn't upload properly so this is all I have. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0h3yg6YIZE

Edit: This is a much better video (the facebook one), which I finally uploaded to YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdfBS-aIJEQ

jasoncho92
12-30-2008, 07:41 PM
Dude whats with that back leg on your forehand. It kicks all the way back whenever you hit one.

yellowoctopus
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Dude whats with that back leg on your forehand. It kicks all the way back whenever you hit one.

I agree. It appears as if you are trying to maintain a close stance on your forehand. If you look closely at your inside-out forehands, you will notice that it is more of a neutral stance--resulting in a more balanced posture at contact.

I recommend learning to hit your forehand with a neutral stance; look up video from the FuzzyYellowballs guy (Wil??)--great instructions.

I like your backhand, very smooth.

RoddickAce
12-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Pretty good! But one thing I noted for some forehands was how you kind of stopped in your swing path of your forehand. It is recommended that from the moment the racquet leaves your non-hitting arm's hand, the swing should be smooth without any sudden stops. Good luck and keep up the good work!

TennisNinja
12-30-2008, 08:08 PM
Ok thanks everyone! My backhand is better stroke wise and fundamentally, but for some reason my forehand is my stronger shot. Maybe when I have a few more videos where I start to fix my shots I'll post them.

BullDogTennis
12-30-2008, 08:17 PM
they look good, you need to get that back foot on forehands to plant more. if anything slide forward. one day your gon kick it really hard and your gon do a frontflip!

TennisNinja
12-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Here's a better video where my strokes are smoother. Unfortunately I can't get Youtube to work so it's on Facebook. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=56004743408&saved

RestockingTues
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
Wow, that last video was great! You're definitely in 4.5 form in that facebook video.

I think your groundstrokes look fairly solid, is there any chance we could take a look at the rest of your game?

baseline08thrasher
12-30-2008, 08:52 PM
Hey dude, a lot of people can look really smooth with a ball machine on the other side of the net just hitting wherever they want to. =]

You should post a video of you playing points out with serves and returns.

Then we can really critique you.

Personally from what I saw:
-it looks like you aren't getting set up quickly enough.
-Your forehand grip is pretty whacky.
-Forehand could be smoother, with more knee bending, and better posture.
-Smaller steps, and hit through the ball.
-get low
-You need to step into the ball more.

TennisNinja
12-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Wow, that last video was great! You're definitely in 4.5 form in that facebook video.

I think your groundstrokes look fairly solid, is there any chance we could take a look at the rest of your game?

Thanks! My phone's charge ran out before I could record everything else sadly. I'll be sure to get some videos of me in an actual hitting session soon.

kelz
12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
You're pretty solid with topspin shots, did you try and use the slice function?

TennisNinja
12-31-2008, 07:15 AM
You're pretty solid with topspin shots, did you try and use the slice function?
Douou mean show some slice shots or putting backspin on the ball machine settings?

jasoncho92
12-31-2008, 07:25 AM

I wouldnt say 4.5 although it is just a ball machine video. Hes making too many mistakes on medium paced balls landing close to him in a set area that are also at the optimal contact height. Im not sure if im just seeing something thats not there, but i think youre starting your racket takeback too late. Anyone want to support or refute my statement?

Edit// Its snowed like hell in wa just a while ago right? From what i remember, Sammamish gets more snow than seattle by a lot unless im completely off lol

LeeD
12-31-2008, 08:55 AM
I think nice 4.5 level strokes, NOT corresponding to 4.5 tennis ability.
Too long, too slow steps.
Too much focus on low to high heavy topspin, not enough pace coming off the racket (look at ball trajectory).
Way too much energy used during each shot. You'll be dead after 4 sets against competitive players in one day.
Basic strokes are there, try to spend some time watching the pro player's movement and conservation of energy.
OK, Nadal uses energy. YES, and Nadals has been hurt for two years.
Don't just watch the flash in the pans, watch the players who've been around for 6+ years. One thing they have in common is they use less energy on every stroke than you do.
And try to keep that head level and NOT moving up and down as you move.

TennisNinja
12-31-2008, 09:24 AM
Ok, thanks again everyone. It did snow a lot the last few weeks. We basically had winter break 1 week early haha.

Here's the Facebook video but in YouTube format. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdfBS-aIJEQ

LeeD
12-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Once again... NICE strokes!!
I think you'd be better served to hit say.... 10 balls to the forehand court, then 10 to the backhand side, no matter where the incoming ball lands. That would give a better indication of your actual ability to place the ball.
Some backhand mishits, but everyone mishits, and indoors can be tough to see.
I see an extreme amount of energy expentiture bouncing sooooo high up and down between shots. If that's the way you move, then you have to live with it.
I hate to see your head bobbing nearly that much. Watch some pros, they glide around when they're in a point, head staying level up and down.
I'd say, when the season starts, enter a bunch of 3.5 to 4 level tournaments, to get experience first against pushers, then against a mix, and to get confidence.
You have the tools for college tennis, but maybe another 2 concentrated years to make 5.0 level, if you can practice 20 hours a week and not casually, but with direction and drive.
Just hitting balls back to the other side is NOT practice for matches, it's practice for hitting balls to the other side.

tennisfreak15347
12-31-2008, 09:41 AM
one question, are you using semi western forehand grip?

TennisNinja
12-31-2008, 09:58 AM
Once again... NICE strokes!!
I think you'd be better served to hit say.... 10 balls to the forehand court, then 10 to the backhand side, no matter where the incoming ball lands. That would give a better indication of your actual ability to place the ball.
Some backhand mishits, but everyone mishits, and indoors can be tough to see.
I see an extreme amount of energy expentiture bouncing sooooo high up and down between shots. If that's the way you move, then you have to live with it.
I hate to see your head bobbing nearly that much. Watch some pros, they glide around when they're in a point, head staying level up and down.
I'd say, when the season starts, enter a bunch of 3.5 to 4 level tournaments, to get experience first against pushers, then against a mix, and to get confidence.
You have the tools for college tennis, but maybe another 2 concentrated years to make 5.0 level, if you can practice 20 hours a week and not casually, but with direction and drive.
Just hitting balls back to the other side is NOT practice for matches, it's practice for hitting balls to the other side.

That's one of the things I need to work on, being more efficient on the court. I might be able to get some more videos up today if I can find someone to give me a ride and hit with.

My goal is college tennis, right now my serve is my best shot (radar gun at 100 MPH), I play 5 times a week on average, for a few hours each time, and I can run 5k in under 19 min. I'm starting to go to the gym a lot more now but I have some inconsistencies during match play.

And yes I'm using a semi-western on my FH.

LeeD
12-31-2008, 10:06 AM
Good stuff, you have the tools.
But consider on running.... you don't have to run so far, except twice a week for aerobics. You need sprint speed, you need to get off the mark first two steps. That means the old shuttleblock....4 blocks set 7 yards apart, you start sideways, run and pick up each and time it. That gets you starting and more important, STOPPING efficiently.
It's an old running back drill for football. Barry Sanders must have been one of the best.
Find someone your level or better, hit twice a week, full workout, no lackdaisical foo fooing around. Get sweaty, push each other to hit harder and with more defined direction.
Then feed each other 50 or so balls, from low backhand volleys to shots into the body, to backhand overheads to running forehands and backhands.
Have THREE alternatives on EACH shot! AND ONLY 3 until you're 6.0.

TennisNinja
12-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks LeeD. 6.0 might take me a while.

DrumWizOHBD
12-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Great movement. You would surely benefit from a quicker take-back.

As soon as you know which wing the ball is coming to, start your backswing--get that racquet back. Once you know you are going to have to hit a forehand, that racquet should be back---even before you start moving to the ball. This will help all other aspects of your strokes that other posters have previously mentioned here.

TennisNinja
01-01-2009, 09:25 PM
Thanks for the tips!

The_Steak
01-01-2009, 09:35 PM
Again, like many posters have said your forehand needs work. Backhand looks pretty good with good pace/depth.

No offense, but did the OP's shoes/feet distract you at all? It seemed like his feet were really floppy when he bounced around.

tennis_balla
01-02-2009, 03:08 AM
Get your racket back earlier, a lot of the times you don't start your backswing until the ball bounces. I bet on deep balls around the baseline you usually end up hitting them late because you time your backswing with the ball bounce. Gotta separate those 2, which unfortunately a lot of people are guilty of. A lot of your shots are late because of this.

Rickson
01-02-2009, 07:38 AM
It's rare to see someone never using an open stance these days, but it's interesting. Who taught you the square stance and do you ever use the open stance?

LeeD
01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
You don't work on your strokes to develop into 6.0 level.
When you get to top level 4.5, 90% is there.
What takes you above 5.0 is hard work, concentration and focus, some natural skills, some luck for sure, determination, ability to let go, recovery rates, pure mental toughness and concentration, and genes...good one, hopefully.
Most of us can get solid 4.5 strokes. Less than 10% of those have the abilities listed above.
Say..... you have solid 4.5 strokes. You play at 5.0 or slightly higher levels.
Meaning your concentration and focus is there.
So you fly to Nashville out in the sticks. Your plane is delayed 3 hours, your onboard drinks are horrible, you didn't bring any. You mom calls and says your room got shredded by the dog. Your taxicab takes you around the block 5 times before dropping you off at the hotel. Your hotel loses your reservation. You're late to first practice. You get 10 minutes only on a court you've never seen, never hit on before. It's soft carpet.
Now you go back to your hotel, and your girlfriend just dropped you.
You cab to your first round and it's the #2 seed.
Can you play your BEST?
That is reality, and half of which happenned to me on my first pro qualifiers!
NO, I didn't play well.
That is what separates a top 4.5 from a 6.0. NOT his strokes, not his size, not his race.

RestockingTues
01-02-2009, 11:55 AM
Good stuff, you have the tools.
But consider on running.... you don't have to run so far, except twice a week for aerobics. You need sprint speed, you need to get off the mark first two steps. That means the old shuttleblock....4 blocks set 7 yards apart, you start sideways, run and pick up each and time it. That gets you starting and more important, STOPPING efficiently.
It's an old running back drill for football. Barry Sanders must have been one of the best.
Find someone your level or better, hit twice a week, full workout, no lackdaisical foo fooing around. Get sweaty, push each other to hit harder and with more defined direction.
Then feed each other 50 or so balls, from low backhand volleys to shots into the body, to backhand overheads to running forehands and backhands.
Have THREE alternatives on EACH shot! AND ONLY 3 until you're 6.0.

What do you mean by alternatives?

LeeD
01-02-2009, 12:06 PM
OK, say your practice partner hits 20 topspin shots to your ankle high forehand volley.
You need 1. safety dig deep to either side.
2. angled soft touch drop shot, either side.
that's FOUR alternatives already!!
3. safety dig deep up the middle, to catch the opponent by surprise.
Without at least those, and that's FIVE total responses just from a forehand low volley, you'd LOSE first round, 5.5.
OK, why not wait till you're close to 5.5, instead of now? We gee golly willickers, it takes 3 years practicing 3 times a week to get those shots!!
So why not get a jump?

heathenrider
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
it looks like your playing tennis on a trampoline

LeeD
01-02-2009, 04:20 PM
You mean jump up and down? Sure, why not. Backhand overheads always can use some help.
But really, to jump from 4.5 upwards, you need a training partner who's as motivated and plays at least as well as you.
And those 20 topspins to your forehand low volley should be repeated 3 times a week, in addition to your partner's sliced shots to your low forehand volley.
That is in addition to practice directed to each and every one of your other shots.
Any decent opponent quickly zeros in on your responce shots. You gotta have the alternatives. No, you don't need all of Nastase's alternative shots, you only need 3 that you can handle to get above 4.5.
It's not easy, it's not relaxing, but it sure beats real work.

RestockingTues
01-02-2009, 04:57 PM
I get what you mean now! Thanks Lee!

TennisNinja
01-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Good stuff Lee

pmacino
01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Pretty good! But one thing I noted for some forehands was how you kind of stopped in your swing path of your forehand. It is recommended that from the moment the racquet leaves your non-hitting arm's hand, the swing should be smooth without any sudden stops. Good luck and keep up the good work!

This is what I noticed too.

Good ol' Court 8 in the bubble. :shock:

TennisNinja
01-04-2009, 07:52 AM
Pmacino did you ever play on the junior teams there? I'm guessing not because most kids there don't post here but just maybe...

pmacino
01-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Pmacino did you ever play on the junior teams there? I'm guessing not because most kids there don't post here but just maybe...

No, I'm an adult who moved here from the ******* a few years back and have gotten back into tennis. I've played out there for both instruction and USTA teams.

Phil

pmacino
01-04-2009, 12:10 PM
No, I'm an adult who moved here from the ******* a few years back and have gotten back into tennis. I've played out there for both instruction and USTA teams.

Phil

weird the forums censored out m-i-d-w-e-s-t.

shell
01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
weird the forums censored out m-i-d-w-e-s-t.

part of the name of a competitor online store

rozy888
01-04-2009, 12:33 PM
if you really want to improve you should look at the david bailey method. he researched all the top players and came up with the best footwork patterns you have ever seen

pmacino
01-04-2009, 02:24 PM
part of the name of a competitor online store

Seems a little aggressive and paranoid...

TW, has great customer service and a great reputation...I'd expect that they'd continue to invest in those to win business rather than trying to censor potential words...

Oh well, it's their site. :)

TennisNinja
01-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Ok, so I worked with a coach today on a lot of the things youg uys pointed out, and I can really see a difference already! I'll be sure to post a new video later.

TheOverlord
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
I like your footwork and your BH is better than your FH, which is a little slower with the reflexes I noticed. You have potential to be better

sk8ing
01-04-2009, 06:46 PM
ur horrible technique makes me wanna puke my russian technical coach would love to shoot you with his tesnokov(ak-47)
but either than that you get the ball over the net so wut more is there 2 say...

GeorgeLucas
01-04-2009, 07:08 PM
Pretty solid, I guess, but your legs flying everywhere are freaking me out.

TennisNinja
01-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Haha I'm working on setting a more stable base and keeping my feet on the ground. I know my BH is better fundamentally, but my FH is actially my stronger shot.