PDA

View Full Version : Tommy Haas vs Donald Young, First Round of Tennis Channel Open

Federer Admirer
02-20-2005, 02:17 AM
The Draw is up for the first round of the tennis channel open and it looks like Donald Young who has been given a wild card is playing no.1 seed Tommy Haas first Round. I would expect Tommy to win but it will be interesting to see how Donald will go

VamosRafa
02-20-2005, 02:26 AM
At least it will be on TV. :-)

Having said that, I'm just so happy that the Tennis Channel is now sponsoring Scottsdale, and will be taking it over officially next year.

I'm not sure how much TV coverage we'll get this year, but I'm sure, next year, we'lll get just about the whole event, if not this year.

Well done, TTC!!!!!

verdasco67
02-20-2005, 02:57 AM
Brendan Evans vs Mario Ancic & Alex Kuznetsov vs Irakli Labadze!!!

should be interesting...

VamosRafa
02-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Brendan-I-must-have-a-wild-card-Evans doesn't have a chance against Mario Ancic.

I guess Mario may have some jet-lag to deal with, but otherwise, why would that be an interesting match-up?

I would consider it a warm-up match for Mario.

The other match you mention is more interesting, I agree. But Labadze should take it.

verdasco67
02-20-2005, 05:30 AM
kuznetsov is a fighter if irakli is not playing well it could be a tight match.....hmm yeah actually i think evans is gonna get thrashed.... nevermind......:P

thebeast
02-20-2005, 10:04 AM
alex has had the best results of juniors in pro events. he doesn't get half the press as others, or as many wildcards though.

he may wind up being the best of them though. Even if he doesn't, he's certainly better than the amount of hype he gets

35ft6
02-20-2005, 10:10 AM
If Donald can take 3 or more games a set off Tommy, his match will be a success. I can't imagine how he could put any pressure on Haas, though.

atatu
02-21-2005, 09:43 AM
Wow, harsh words for Evans coming from the usually polite Susan. What's the story behind that ?

@wright
02-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Susan seems to have gained some spring to her step, I like it. See "give me an f-ing break!"

tennisfan23
02-21-2005, 10:41 AM
edited.....

arosen
02-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Yes, Susan,whats the deal with Evans? Is he getting more WCs than others? I havent seen the guy, is getting a preferential treatment from USTA?

USCfan
02-21-2005, 07:42 PM
Poor Donald... when's he going to get a reasonable matchup?

goober
02-21-2005, 07:47 PM

when he is a seeded player and not a wildcard :D

Max G.
02-21-2005, 07:48 PM

He got one last week. I'd call Robby Ginepri quite a reasonable matchup - about middle of the pack for that tournament, currently ranked 69. And it's not like Robby is on a big hot streak that makes him play better than his ranking for the time being.

atatu
02-22-2005, 09:43 AM
Well looks like Haas withdrew, and Goldstein got in as a lucky loser. That seems like a pretty reasonable matchup for a wildcard....

andfor
02-22-2005, 11:49 AM

Good question. It sure is funny how he has had such tough draws while competing under the wildcards he's been given. I think it's a conspiracy. See the following, http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=42112

As soon as Donald gets good and let's hope he does he'll gain some haters let's hope he does not, then a different conspiracy theory altogether will be imagined. You'll see.

andfor
02-22-2005, 11:53 AM
Well looks like Haas withdrew, and Goldstein got in as a lucky loser. That seems like a pretty reasonable matchup for a wildcard....

For real?! Finally Donald gets a break! I wonder, what underhanded events had to take place for this to happen? Could it be coincidence? Naaaaaaaa.......coincidence make to much sense.

aj_m2009
02-22-2005, 03:46 PM
Brendan-I-must-have-a-wild-card-Evans doesn't have a chance against Mario Ancic.

I guess Mario may have some jet-lag to deal with, but otherwise, why would that be an interesting match-up?

I would consider it a warm-up match for Mario.

You guys were half wrong. Evans did get one set off Ancic. I would post the score but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is gonna watch it on tv, if it is gonna be on tv. If not, someone tell me and I'll post it.

bigserving
02-22-2005, 04:07 PM

Goldstein is no slouch. He is all around solid and super fast. He just lacks a big weapon. He competed really well with Roddick in San Jose. Two sets, almost two hours.

Still, Paul is no Tommy Haas. A nice break for Mr Young.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 04:08 PM
You guys were half wrong. Evans did get one set off Ancic. I would post the score but I don't want to spoil it for anyone who is gonna watch it on tv, if it is gonna be on tv. If not, someone tell me and I'll post it.

As I said, jet lag and such for Ancic.

But I agree that the result was better than I thought it would be.

And I was right on another result as well. ;-)

But it's not as if I was going out on an f-ing limb with any of them.

Sorry, guys.

Sparring with Phil, Datacipher, Dendans and others does take it's toll, even on an otherwise very confident, fearless, mature, and essentially nice female.

But maybe it's given me an edge that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it may have helped me in court this morning.

And don't even get me going on Paul "I'm-the--greatest-coz-I-went-to-Stanford" Goldstein.

You think Andy's service motion is weird. At least Andy's is effective. Paul's is just, well, weird.

I hope Young beats him.

And then gets a full scholarship to Stanford.

goober
02-22-2005, 04:21 PM
I hope Young beats him.

And then gets a full scholarship to Stanford.

Too late Stanford can't accept pros which Donald Young already is :D

Goldstein should win the match based on experience and the Young doesn't have any real weapons at this point to hurt him, but this certainly could go either way.

daniel_rst
02-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Goldstein is not at all a bad player. I used to watch him play quite a bit for the Delaware Smash (World Team Tennis). He never had a big breakthrough, but he has logged some good career wins.

01/18/99 Rusedski 6-4, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2 Australian
02/28/00 Rafter 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 Delray Bea
06/21/99 Mantilla 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 6-2 Wimbledon
08/16/99 Corretja 7-6, 7-6 Washington
11/20/00 Rusedski 7-6, 6-3 Brighton
04/21/03 Enqvist 6-1, 7-6 Houston
09/13/04 Karlovic 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 Delray Bea
10/28/02 Fish 6-7, 6-4, 6-3 Tyler

This would be a big win for Young, but I really don't see it happening.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 04:51 PM
Goldstein is not at all a bad player. I used to watch him play quite a bit for the Delaware Smash (World Team Tennis). He never had a big breakthrough, but he has logged some good career wins.

01/18/99 Rusedski 6-4, 6-7, 7-6, 6-2 Australian
02/28/00 Rafter 4-6, 6-1, 6-2 Delray Bea
06/21/99 Mantilla 6-2, 6-4, 6-7, 6-2 Wimbledon
08/16/99 Corretja 7-6, 7-6 Washington
11/20/00 Rusedski 7-6, 6-3 Brighton
04/21/03 Enqvist 6-1, 7-6 Houston
09/13/04 Karlovic 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 Delray Bea
10/28/02 Fish 6-7, 6-4, 6-3 Tyler

This would be a big win for Young, but I really don't see it happening.

I don't see Young winning it either -- even against Goldstein. Whom I admire more than Gimelstob.

Good thing I have to go to the grocery store, or you'd have me waxing poetic on the three "G's" -- the lost generation in USA tennis.

But regardless, on what Young is making in endorsements, he can afford to go to Stanford.

aj_m2009
02-22-2005, 05:39 PM
Good question. It sure is funny how he has had such tough draws while competing under the wildcards he's been given. I think it's a conspiracy.

Like every young kid that is given a wild card into a tournament is given a tough first round match. For example: at US Open 2004, Nicole Vaidisova vs. Justin Henin-Hardenne, Sesil Karatantcheva vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Scoville Jenkins vs. Andy Roddick. They all lost in straight sets.

AndrewD
02-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Guys, it's called 'the luck of the draw'. No-one picks who they play. There are just spaces in every draw left open for qualifiers (if the tournament has them) or wildcards.
One of the reasons why wildcards do so poorly is they're not match tough and it'd serve a lot of those young players far better to get some matches under their belt rather than hoping for a big win. If they get through qualifying then they are pro material, if they can't then they have a better understanding of their level.

goober
02-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Originally Posted by andfor
Good question. It sure is funny how he has had such tough draws while competing under the wildcards he's been given. I think it's a conspiracy.

Like every young kid that is given a wild card into a tournament is given a tough first round match. For example: at US Open 2004, Nicole Vaidisova vs. Justin Henin-Hardenne, Sesil Karatantcheva vs. Svetlana Kuznetsova, Scoville Jenkins vs. Andy Roddick. They all lost in straight sets.

Uhh sarcasm?

aj_m2009
02-22-2005, 07:06 PM
Uhh sarcasm?

Sarcasm???

goober
02-22-2005, 07:25 PM
Sarcasm???
Well if you had been keeping up with all the conspiracy theories that permeate this board, andfor was trying to make fun of them, either that or he is a nut case.

Here is a conspiracy theory for you-

Hyung-Taik Lee is owned by Roddick. Interestingly in 2 consecuetive tourneys in the US he has to play Roddick in the first round and gets beaten twice. Kevin Kim is put on the same side of the bracket as Tommy Haas twice where he has no chance of advancing. It's a conspiracy against tennis players of Korean heritage! The draws are fixed! It is time to start a million korean man match on Washington!

aj_m2009
02-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Well if you had been keeping up with all the conspiracy theories that permeate this board, andfor was trying to make fun of them, either that or he is a nut case.

Sorry, but I haven't been here long enough to "keep up" with all of the conspiracy theories. And sorry that I take stuff seriously.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm not going to laugh about this, to the extent it deals with racism issues.

But I will tell you a true story.

I was at the draw party in Los Angeles 2002 (you have to have a party in LA before a tennis tournament and I was invited with a friend).

As they did the draw at this party, they had various people come up and pull a number out of a hat, including many players. Taylor, Xavier and Tommy did some of the draws.

This went on for a while, and then it came to draw Andy's opponent. Several "girls" raised their hands to draw out the number, including me.

They chose me, and I drew out:

Hyung-Taik Lee.

I knew that was a great draw for Andy, as he had beaten him 4 times before.

But I can tell you that was not rigged.

I've never done a draw since. And Andy has beaten him a few more times.

I only had input that one time, I swear.

andfor
02-22-2005, 07:53 PM
Goober, your pretty quick, I am not crazy. I think.

Vamos what with comparing Goldstein to Gimlestob in post 23 and then you say something about not laughing when it deals with racism? I get some strange messages when I read your stuff.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 07:59 PM
Goober, your pretty quick, I am not crazy. I think.

Vamos what with comparing Goldstein to Gimlestob in post 23 and then you say something about not laughing when it deals with racism? I get some strange messages when I read your stuff.

That's because you don't read them carefully, and you aren't as attuned as I am to dealing with racism issues.

In my career, I defend a lot of racial discrimination claims. It's a very serious issue.

I'll leave it at that.

This quote was made above:

It's a conspiracy against tennis players of Korean heritage! The draws are fixed! It is time to start a million korean man match on Washington!

I don't think it was a serious claim, but just in case, I related my own limited experience.

But there are so many draw conspiracies going around, this is only one of them.

I have no facts to shed on any others, sorry to say. At least from a personal viewpoint.

Just can say that the one I witnessed seemed very fair.

andfor
02-22-2005, 08:08 PM
Vamos the millon man korean march was a joke.

Now what was the Goldstein Gimlestob comment about in your post 23? It came from nowhere, unless I missed something.

Phil
02-22-2005, 08:09 PM
Sorry, guys.

Sparring with Phil, Datacipher, Dendans and others does take it's toll, even on an otherwise very confident, fearless, mature, and essentially nice female.

But maybe it's given me an edge that isn't necessarily a bad thing. I think it may have helped me in court this morning.

LOL...well gee, Sue, please don't sell yourself short...

And you will CONTINUE to spar with Phil, Datacipher and Dedans for as long as you mention our names in totally irrelevant posts in which we are not even participating. Datacipher and I have decided that you like this sh*t, so go ahead...spar away, Ms. Passive Aggressive. Whatever "edge" you think you have, I certainly haven't seen it.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 08:22 PM
LOL...well gee, Sue, please don't sell yourself short...

And you will CONTINUE to spar with Phil, Datacipher and Dedans for as long as you mention our names in totally irrelevant posts in which we are not even participating. Datacipher and I have decided that you like this sh*t, so go ahead...spar away, Ms. Passive Aggressive. Whatever "edge" you think you have, I certainly haven't seen it.

I was just responding to Awright's comments re why I have devloped an edge.

And this is my opinion why I have.

You may think I like this sh*t, but you guys like it tons more, and you like it less from women.

Which is why you give me more sh*t than you'd give men who espouse similar opinions.

Again, just my opinion on why I've developed an edge, that I not only express to you three, but to others as well.

I already know whatever I say is going to be contested by you, so I can now say what I want, and who cares?

Chris and Don will toss me off if I go over the edge.

Otherwise, I can pretty freely say what I want, when other women won't do so.

They are afraid of you; I'm not.

So I continue to battle you guys.

But you are the reason that other women don't post here.

You'd be much better represented if you let your guard down and let in a few others into you "boys club."

I can't tell you how many people here have e-mailed me and told me to post here with a man's "name."

Totally "wtf?"

This is a Tennis Messageboard for all genders.

I'm hanging in here, because I want to see fellow females Stand Up and Speak Out.

Coz they should. We don't have a wristlet (at least not yet), but

that's a thought. ;-)

Phil
02-22-2005, 08:51 PM
Susan - Well gag me with a spoon. Now it's a gender/sexism issue-you'Ve played the sexism card before and it didn't work (because it was obvious that the issue was not one of gender, it was YOU, Susan).

I suppose it's difficult to admit to yourself that the reason you get called on your many, many silly comments is because...they are SILLY! So, in order to make this situation more palatable to youself, you make it into a GENDER issue-man vs. woman. Play the gender card and maybe people will back off. NOT! This is another of your baseless fantasies. Other women post here and none are in your situation because they don't utter absolute bullshiat. Get that into your silly head, you.

If a male came on this board slobbering over a teenage girl, as you do over a teenage boy, that person would be handled even harsher, if you think what you get is "harsh". Exhibit "A": "Masha". As you KNOW, Masha was, rightfully so, cyber whipped and THEN, to add insult to injury, banned from the Board. You're still here. So maybe, instead of getting rough treatment for being a woman, you are being handled with kid gloves by the majority of the Board members for that same reason. Who's to say? A few, though, will react to dumba** comments, regardless of gender. You really need to get that straight and be honest with YOURSELF-that YOU are the cause of any problems that you think you have. Really.

You may continue to play the gender card when you're cornered, but anyone with a brain here can see through that lame rationale. It's YOU Susan. You.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 09:30 PM
If a male came on this board slobbering over a teenage girl, as you do over a teenage boy, that person would be handled even harsher, if you think what you get is "harsh".

No, they don't. Just check out the threads of the slobbering over the WTA players, over their looks.

And I will stand proud and say and with respect to Rafael Nadal, I put my money where my mouth is and do a quality site, in both Spanish and English;

http://www.vamosrafael.com

It's about him, but it's done for his fans, and I'm very proud of the journalism on that site.

I'm sure you won't understand it, because half of it is in Spanish.

But Phil, I give you credit,

if you can look me in the eye, and say all I do is slobber over Nadal's looks.

Okay, I take your challenge.

You and whoever else has a problem with what we do on the site (and I totally handle the English part),

Let me know how I am promoting a sex symbol instead of a tennis star.

I think I'm promoting his tennis. But if I'm wrong, let me know.

Check out the site, in Spanish and English, and let me know what we're doing wrong.

We're always looking for ways to improve the site.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 09:42 PM
Second point:

Other women post here and none are in your situation because they don't utter absolute bullshiat. Get that into your silly head, you.

I'd love to hear how many women post here.

Because I don't see any. Except one or two, who don't dare make a misstep.

If' it's okay, we'll start a womens' forum. Perhaps we should suggest to TW.

Now, that's an idea.

Phil
02-22-2005, 09:43 PM
You chose to ignore the major points of my post, as you HAVE no answer to what I said. Instead, you focus on a minor statement and then bust out the non-sequiters. Typical Susan-with a mind residing somewhere north of the Twilight Zone. Sheesh, what a flake.

ty slothrop
02-22-2005, 09:46 PM
hold on, i think goldstein just broke. wind, that is.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 09:47 PM
You chose to ignore the major points of my post, as you HAVE no answer to what I said. Instead, you focus on a minor statement and then bust out the non-sequiters. Typical Susan-with a mind residing somewhere north of the Twilight Zone. Sheesh, what a flake.

Yep, I'm a flake, who runs a player site that gets over 3000 hits a day.

And more when he's doing well.

And how many hits do you get on a given day?

I suspect not many.

ty slothrop
02-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Yep, I'm a flake, who runs a player site that gets over 3000 hits a day.

And more when he's doing well.

How does that happen, Phil?

And how many hits do you get on a given day?

I suspect not many.

uh, philly, what was that about non-sequiters again?

Phil
02-22-2005, 09:54 PM
uh, philly, what was that about non-sequiters again?

Yep. Completely divorced from reality.

3,000 hits per day-wow! Certainly worthy of bragging rights.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 09:57 PM
We shall see how divorced I am from reality,

or just how divorced this site is from reality.

Calling on Nike, of course.

Andy Hewitt
02-22-2005, 10:03 PM
Hewitt and Roddick by themselves could whoop em BOTH at once! End of discussion!

aj_m2009
02-22-2005, 10:18 PM
Now back to the thread topic. Donald Young lost 3-6 1-6 to Paul Goldstein. Now this doesn't really suprise me in the least but hopefully Young can learn something from it. Unfourtunately I didn't get to see the match so if someone would be nice enough to give details on the match it would be appreciated.

VamosRafa
02-22-2005, 10:36 PM
So my predictions were on spot.

Goldstein won -- going into the never-never-land of the three G's accomplishments. rah-rah

But assuring that young Donald, will not win his first ATP match.

Does anyone but me, think that Donald should win a Futures or Challengers event before trying to make it on the ATP? As some players have said, there's a huge difference between the juniors and the ATP.

He doesn't want to be a loser before he has a chance to become a winner on the ATP. And that's what's starting to happen.

Again, IMO.

aj_m2009
02-22-2005, 10:49 PM
I agree, he should win at least one.

lemurballs
02-23-2005, 06:54 AM
Poor Donald? I say, poor you.

Rob_C
02-23-2005, 06:20 PM
I dont think Donald Young has to win a futures or challenger event to compete on the tour. He already has a few wins over guys in the 200s. He got to the last round of qualies at the LA Open last year, lost in 3 the last rd.

Plus, He just became the youngest #1 jr, youngest Aus Open Jr champion. He just needs to mature more physically.

Also, he's gonna keep playing jr events, but obviously he needs more competition, which is what he'll get from the pros till he's ready to compete full time.

Also, Federer took the same route.