PDA

View Full Version : This line judge is RIDCULUS!!!! (must see)

kikiviva
12-31-2008, 10:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnQp9YoLl68&feature=related

wow.. just wow..if that was me.. i'll kill line judge..

BiGGieStuFF
12-31-2008, 10:41 AM
Seen this before but that back foot never comes up even near the line. If it was it would have been the front foot which barely even moves unless he was already standing on the line. Regardless though, that is a horrible call to make on match point.

autumn_leaf
12-31-2008, 10:52 AM
what don't people get?!? a rules a rule! if so many people don't like it why haven't anyone changed it to a warning instead of a point loss.

edit: my comment in no interprets that the line judge made a right call. just to make this point clear.

ChipNCharge
12-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I hope they deducted the cost of any damaged court equipment from whatever prize money the foot-faulter may have won in that tournament.

bad_call
12-31-2008, 11:48 AM
now that ranks among the worst BAD CALLS. the line judge should BURN!!!

go13illy
12-31-2008, 12:54 PM
i hope the line judge got fired after that

woodrow1029
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Actually she worked Indian Wells and the US Open after that.

10sfreak
12-31-2008, 01:31 PM
How can everyone be so certain that it actually was a bad call? How do we know his front foot didn't start out on the line? I certainly can't tell for sure one way or the other whether or not his front foot is touching the line.

woodrow1029
12-31-2008, 01:33 PM
How can everyone be so certain that it actually was a bad call? How do we know his front foot didn't start out on the line. I certainly can't tell for sure one way or the other whether or not his front foot is touching the line.
Exactly! If the same situation had happened in the first game, no big deal. At this angle, it's impossible to tell, and if he was on the line at the start, then it's a foot fault regardless of what the timing of the match is.

And I think the person that said the line umpire should burn needs to settle down a bit. lol

J-man
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
Tough way to lose a match, for sure. Saw this a long while ago. I honestly though can't see the foot fault.

But for all those people who say "oh thats mean how could that line judge do that?" a rule is a rule. The judge had every right to call it. But nonetheless what a horrible way to lose a match

Okazaki Fragment
12-31-2008, 01:52 PM
If the line judge had been calling foot faults the entire match, I would understand it. But this was the first time she called a foot fault, right? And it wasn't even an obvious, blantant foot fault.

If I were the line judge, I wouldn't have called a foot fault unless he was standing right in the middle of the service line.

kikiviva
12-31-2008, 05:08 PM
Tough way to lose a match, for sure. Saw this a long while ago. I honestly though can't see the foot fault.

But for all those people who say "oh thats mean how could that line judge do that?" a rule is a rule. The judge had every right to call it. But nonetheless what a horrible way to lose a match

look at his feet when he sever first and secound there is no different between that two.!@!!

vbranis
12-31-2008, 06:10 PM
If the line judge had been calling foot faults the entire match, I would understand it. But this was the first time she called a foot fault, right? And it wasn't even an obvious, blantant foot fault.

If I were the line judge, I wouldn't have called a foot fault unless he was standing right in the middle of the service line.

Agree 100%. Calling a foot fault for the 1st time at that point in the match for a <1 inch step over the line is ridiculous. It should've been called only if it was obvious. Rules are rules, but SOME PEOPLE NEED TO LEARN TO USE COMMON SENSE, and consider the circumstances before making a decision! Rules are in place to make a game fair, but in this case it was anything but fair.

Lejanius
12-31-2008, 06:16 PM
I don't think that video proves or disproves anything in regards to a foot fault, I will say his feet are in a nearly identical position but he does appear to move them a bit closer to the line the second serve.

However I don't think anyone can be positive that he did or didn't based on that evidence

If he did and she called it more power to her, only because as many NBA, NHL, and NFL refs seem to forget that is the toughest time to make the right call, when the game is on the line.

if he didn't foot fault then she sucks, but there is no way to tell in that video as far as I am concerned. What a horrible way to lose a match though

edit: also it could be he DID foot fault the first serve but she didn't notice it right away and thought she saw it but wasn't sure so she paid more attention to it the second time, no one really knows

have to say, in the pantheon of sports temper tantrums that one ranks pretty high.

Djokovicfan4life
12-31-2008, 06:31 PM

I don't understand your reasoning here. Are you saying that the line judges should go easy on the rules just because it's match point? Should they not call balls that are only a half an inch out as well because it's match point? Sure, it sucks to lose a match like that, but from that angle we can't tell whether it happened or not, and if it did then she had every right to make that call.

oneleggedcardinal
01-01-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't understand your reasoning here. Are you saying that the line judges should go easy on the rules just because it's match point? Should they not call balls that are only a half an inch out as well because it's match point? Sure, it sucks to lose a match like that, but from that angle we can't tell whether it happened or not, and if it did then she had every right to make that call.

I can't really agree or disagree as to whether or not (assuming there is a foot fault in such a situation) the linesperson should call it. I guess you also have to look at it the other way: it would suck if you were the other player and the rules were applied to you uniformly, while, in a tight game, your opponent got a break from a sympathetic line judge and it ended up costing you the match.

Breaker
01-01-2009, 09:54 AM
The commentator is hilarious with the dull tone as everything is happening. "He has turned over the chair after breaking his racquet and throwing it from one end of the court to the other and is now walking off the court". :)

bad_call
01-01-2009, 10:40 AM
Exactly! If the same situation had happened in the first game, no big deal. At this angle, it's impossible to tell, and if he was on the line at the start, then it's a foot fault regardless of what the timing of the match is.

And I think the person that said the line umpire should burn needs to settle down a bit. lol

you should BURN!!! apparently you didn't hear the commentator saying that this was the 1st foot fault called during the match...and no less at match point. guess you've never seen a bad call that robs a player/team? maybe you are one of those effen line judges....

SaunderS
01-01-2009, 10:50 AM
Its funny how everybody just casually walks off court.:)

Okazaki Fragment
01-01-2009, 10:51 AM

Yes, go easy on the rules that aren't enforced at all on an amateur level and enforced rarely even on the professional level. If half an inch foot faults were called with the regularity of half an inch line faults, then I would agree with you.

Like I said, if the line judge had been calling foot faults that match, I wouldn't blame her for calling a foot fault at match point.

Storm_Kyori
01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Sometimes I wish we had linejudges during club matches. Guys out here that I hit with foot-fault like heck. I mean they have their left foot inside the court and then take an additional step inside and then serve, I tell them to watch their feet, just so they know they are doing something that is against the rules, they get annoyed and don't listen.

Mdubb23
01-01-2009, 02:17 PM
now that ranks among the worst BAD CALLS. the line judge should BURN!!!

Yeah, you, especially, would know.

woodrow1029
01-01-2009, 03:36 PM
you should BURN!!! apparently you didn't hear the commentator saying that this was the 1st foot fault called during the match...and no less at match point. guess you've never seen a bad call that robs a player/team? maybe you are one of those effen line judges....
Are these the types of rude, hateful statements that gave you your hall of fame status?

Djokovicfan4life
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM

How do you know that this wasn't the first foot fault of the match?

woodrow1029
01-01-2009, 04:06 PM
How do you know that this wasn't the first foot fault of the match?
He only says that because that is what the commentator said. And he thinks that the commentators are always right.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-01-2009, 04:14 PM
If it really was a foot fault, it would be one of the greatest tennis-related fails EVER.

Mada
01-01-2009, 04:19 PM
I think that's ridiculous. Even if it was a foot fault(didn't seem to be), it would be by the slightest bit, and even though you should always follow the rules, making a call like that in that situation is just....wrong.

bad_call
01-01-2009, 04:31 PM
I think that's ridiculous. Even if it was a foot fault(didn't seem to be), it would be by the slightest bit, and even though you should always follow the rules, making a call like that in that situation is just....wrong.

agreed. have seen a fair share of bad calls (hence my username) where both players (obviously knew and respected each other) corrected the judge's erroneous call. hence the invention of hawkeye.

Headshotterer
01-01-2009, 04:32 PM
did he permanently damage the court? i hope so

counter_puncher
01-01-2009, 04:41 PM
Yeah, I loved the commentator.

"Oh my goodness, he has now turned over... he has now turned over, the chair."

150mph_
01-01-2009, 05:13 PM
agreed. have seen a fair share of bad calls (hence my username) where both players (obviously knew and respected each other) corrected the judge's erroneous call. hence the invention of hawkeye.

a bad call = error or mistake involved... like your ball touched the line and the judge called it out - bad call

calling foot fault does not have error involved does it?

bad_call
01-01-2009, 05:21 PM
a bad call = error or mistake involved... like your ball touched the line and the judge called it out - bad call

calling foot fault does not have error involved does it?

a ball in play is not the same as a foot fault. IMO the judge should have not called a foot fault and let the play of the ball dictate the point...especially at match point. think about it.

Lejanius
01-01-2009, 06:07 PM
a ball in play is not the same as a foot fault. IMO the judge should have not called a foot fault and let the play of the ball dictate the point...especially at match point. think about it.

i am not saying your wrong but I don't get this attitude. regardless of the situation in any sport it is the obligation of the officials to call the game as they see it. Was it fair? probably not but that doesn't matter, she thought it was a foot fault so she called it.

The service motion, as I recall, is still a part of the game play.

vmosrafa08
01-01-2009, 06:32 PM
The player should have challenged the call. I don't think that smashing his racquet solved the problem at all. I didn't see a foot fault, and I agree that this was a horrible point to lose.

150mph_
01-01-2009, 08:39 PM

rules are rules... just like laws are laws...
cops will still stop you if you break the law doesnt matter if you are DWI or rushing a pregnant woman to the hospital

they dont go "wow he is rushing a pregnant woman to the hospital, i should just let him break all the laws in the world and have him Grand Theft Auto his way to the hospital" do they?

same here... if the person broke the rule, they should call it out.

so you say that foot faults are less important than line faults?

so if the foot is over the line they shouldnt call it, but if the 2nd serve ball is over the line they should still call it out for a double fault to end the match? is that ok? b/c that sounds absurd

150mph_
01-01-2009, 08:40 PM
The player should have challenged the call. I don't think that smashing his racquet solved the problem at all. I didn't see a foot fault, and I agree that this was a horrible point to lose.

challenge what call? are you going to argue that you had a foot fault and the line judge shouldnt have called it? so you are admitting that you were in the wrong but want to ask the officials to recant their PROPER judgement?
wtf

woodrow1029
01-01-2009, 09:12 PM
Exactly. IN YOUR OPINION. Saying people should be burned is just hateful and stupid. Your attitude is just way off.

Enzo
01-02-2009, 01:20 AM
Could you imagine if that was McEnroe instead of Bruno? That would not be a pretty sight.

bad_call
01-02-2009, 05:41 AM
Exactly. IN YOUR OPINION. Saying people should be burned is just hateful and stupid. Your attitude is just way off.

apparently i'm not the only one who shares this opinion. ever heard of HAWKEYE ? guess not...

fin-tennis(h)
01-02-2009, 06:00 AM
Hilarious vid. If it was a foot fault then the call was good.

woodrow1029
01-02-2009, 07:44 AM
apparently i'm not the only one who shares this opinion. ever heard of HAWKEYE ? guess not...
What does Hawkeye have to do with foot faults?

gastro54
01-02-2009, 07:58 AM
Terrible judgment by linewoman to make that call. You don't decide the game on match point with something like that.