PDA

View Full Version : Can I have more weight on back foot at start of serve?

Eph
12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Is this considered good form? I have been doing it for awhile and have noticed a difference. I tend to start my serve in the back while exploding the ball towards the front.

LeeD
12-31-2008, 12:30 PM
Each and every one of us has their own style for making that first ball go fast, go in, and direct it where we want.
Rocking is one acceptable style, if it's simple and duplicatable. When you get 60% first hard serves in either side and up the middle, then 99% second serves in either side and up the middle, you're doing it right, and doing it your way.
Watch any match......both servers use different preps on serves.
Neither is right, neither is wrong.
The results is what counts.

go13illy
12-31-2008, 12:49 PM
i'm pretty sure almost everyone starts their serve with their weight on the backfoot and transfers the weight forward.

Bungalo Bill
12-31-2008, 12:51 PM
Is this considered good form? I have been doing it for awhile and have noticed a difference. I tend to start my serve in the back while exploding the ball towards the front.

That is fine.

LeeD
12-31-2008, 12:59 PM
Form is personal.
What counts is YOU exploding forwards and slightly twisting to increase racket head speed.
Some guys start with weight on back foot.
Some guys start with weight on front foot, then rock back, then forewards again.
Some guys stay balanced, start to learn forwards and explode off BOTH feet.
Heck, some baseliners just stand there and arm it thru.....
What you do depends on what you want the results to be.
Big hard fast serves, you gotta explode, from any preparation that works for your body's kinitics.
Watch 40 pros, see 30 different techniques...

kelz
12-31-2008, 01:03 PM

Yes. It is called weight transfer.

mikeler
12-31-2008, 01:06 PM
I seem to maintain better balance throughout my service motion when I start with my weight on my back foot. For some reason, I also tend to keep my eyes up longer on the ball too.

fuzz nation
12-31-2008, 06:37 PM
Yep, you're looking to create movement toward your target as you hit the ball. I do that rocking back to start my motion, too. Look down at where your feet end up after you hit your serve to check that you're not falling off to the left or right too much. That weight transfer forward should carry you a step or so in the general direction of your intended placement.