PDA

View Full Version : some new + better vids of hyogen - please critique

hyogen
12-31-2008, 05:53 PM
Happy New Year!!!!

I was pretty happy with how i played yesterday and i took a lot of vids yesterday; will keep adding here as I have a chance to upload:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcsXcSfPmk I just edited and compiled it into one nice video.

thanks for critiquing - rate me from what you see if you want to. I've been rated 2.5 by BB not too long ago :twisted: i'll take it as a compliment coming from him :D

My new years resolution will be to lose 40lbs by the end of 2009. :mad:

hyogen
12-31-2008, 05:56 PM
This is me after not hitting for 2 weeks, my wrist feels better after rest + physical therapy, my plantar fasciitis is much better after PT treatment and superfeet. I feel more rested, but not any less fat!!! So better footwork helped a lot.

I'm hitting with my new racquet of choice: Head Radical Tour twin tube (with twaron :D). No lead, just a leather grip to make it a little more head light. It came strung with Natural gut crosses (16g) and Kirschbaum spiky (16g) mains. At first it felt like it had too much power but I got used to it.

by the way, i've posted this a couple times...but i think the twin tube radical feels incredibly similar to the PT280 except more comfortable/flexible. Doesn't have the same THUMP sound, but it does have a nice THUD sound...lol

I think I've found my long desired PT630 replacement - but i still haven't tried one yet

hyogen
12-31-2008, 05:59 PM
deleted by author

fuzz nation
12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I took a gander at the last video in the group you posted - super slo-mo - and on a couple of your forehands you take a big stride to the ball instead of a couple of stutter steps. That can make a couple of problems happen.

A big step to the ball for a stroke is almost a lunge and it can seriously undermine your balance. Without decent balance for your swing, your kinetic chain - that unraveling from the ground up - can break down and leave you muscling the racquet through the ball with your upper body too much. I actually spotted what looks like an overly active wrist in your second or third forehand.

The other thing with that big stride to your forehand is that you need to arrive exactly on time to the hitting zone to be able to carry your momentum into the stroke - way too easy to get caught slightly early or late to the ball. If you use that nice assertive split-step that you already have to burst toward the ball, you can set up at the hitting area more often and use those stutter/shuffle steps to maintain perfect positioning while you wait for the ball to come into your strike zone. When you stay ahead of the ball, you can more consistently hit it with smooth timing and good balance.

Thanks for posting & keep on sluggin'!

hyogen
12-31-2008, 07:20 PM
the last video is my hitting partner...lol
critique me!!!
i'm the asian guy in the yellow shirt/plaid shorts

fuzz nation
12-31-2008, 07:30 PM
Okay, so I looked at the serves, too.

There's a little more free energy lurking in there in terms of shoulder rotation. Look at how the shoulders and chest are basically facing diagonally into the court when the toss goes up. If you can turn them away from the target some more as that toss goes up (more to the right), you'll have more room to turn back through (to the left) as you swing up through the ball. No need to twist yourself into a pretzel, but should be able to easily take a little more of a rotational windup and it probably won't mess with your timing as you drive to the ball.

...and Happy New Year, too...

adams_1
12-31-2008, 08:09 PM
May I ask what sort of camera you are using?

hyogen
12-31-2008, 08:25 PM
Casio ex-fh20. Also there is the nicer ex-f1

LuckyR
12-31-2008, 09:30 PM
That camera is absolutely amazing. For example, I can tell you that Joey rips the ball pretty darn hard, yet the super slo mo makes him look like he is playing pattycake, the picture quality is so smooth.

hyogen
01-01-2009, 02:52 AM
luckyr when are we gonna hit again :) as you can see in the videos, my feet aren't as lazy as when I was hitting against you :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcsXcSfPmk compiled everything into one video.

drakulie
01-01-2009, 08:27 AM
hyogen, great video!!!! what frame rate did you use??? also aperture, shutter speed etc???

I just got my ex-f1, and have been fooling around with it a bit. Pretty amazing all th cool little toys that come with it, but still figuring out what the best set-up to take high speed vidoe would be.

BTW, no effen way you are a 2.5. 2.5's are basically just picking up a frame for the first time. you are way beyond that level. You have some really smooth strokes, and mechanics. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, love the music. The theme music from "Last Dragon" (Bruce Lee Story)????

Gugafan
01-01-2009, 09:20 AM
Sorry mate, I was put off by the 'war-theme' type music. What were you thinking???.

mozzer
01-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Looks good. You keep your none hitting arm up while you hit, which most dont when they post videos and you have good body rotation and bring your back foot around.
Nice shorts, where did you get them?!

edit- try to keep your left arm in the air for a bit longer on your serve.

Pushmaster
01-01-2009, 09:34 AM
It's refreshing to see somebody actually underrate themselfs for a change. I'd say your strokes look pretty solid, more like a 3.5. BWT, great video.

01-01-2009, 09:52 AM
H,
very nice hitting and super vids.

One thing I noticed was that when you have to go further to your left for a BH, you take a big sideways step with your rt leg to hit, even if you have time to get behind the ball better. With more hustle, you can get over there an hit it more like you hit your BH on the center balls, which I felt was superior.
See what you think and see if you agree.

01-01-2009, 09:57 AM
It's refreshing to see somebody actually underrate themselfs for a change. I'd say your strokes look pretty solid, more like a 3.5. BWT, great video.

Yes, it's funny though.
If you under rate, you get slammed for sand bagging.
If you over rate, folks think you are big headed.
Too bad everyone ain't perfect at rating, right. LoL

Easy 3.5+ on what I saw. Would have to see points to know more.

hyogen
01-01-2009, 10:01 AM
hyogen, great video!!!! what frame rate did you use??? also aperture, shutter speed etc???

I just got my ex-f1, and have been fooling around with it a bit. Pretty amazing all th cool little toys that come with it, but still figuring out what the best set-up to take high speed vidoe would be.

BTW, no effen way you are a 2.5. 2.5's are basically just picking up a frame for the first time. you are way beyond that level. You have some really smooth strokes, and mechanics. Thanks for sharing.

BTW, love the music. The theme music from "Last Dragon" (Bruce Lee Story)????

The normal speed ones are shot in the HD 1380x760 or something mode, the normal-to-slow motion are shot at 30fps to 210fps mode. I think your camera has 30-300fps mode. apperture, shutterspeed, lol...alll those are default or automatic. some of those videos aren't as sharp as they could be because the camera man didn't focus it right, etc...like for one you see that the camera is focused on the net right in front of the camera. i'm sure soon you'll be teaching me about the camera :D

Yes, it's from "Dragon Bruce Lee Story" =D

Looks good. You keep your none hitting arm up while you hit, which most dont when they post videos and you have good body rotation and bring your back foot around.
Nice shorts, where did you get them?!

edit- try to keep your left arm in the air for a bit longer on your serve.

I think I could do that and start my shoulders in a more closed/away from court position and keep that trophy position longer. I think i could also toss the ball a little farther out into the court, but the angle of the camera sorta doesn't give justice to where the toss is.

they're nike heritage shorts from about a year ago (summer heritage line I think) - you can find them on **** every once in a while

what was i thinking on the music? well...i used to and still love movie soundtracks - what would movies be without scores? there are some amazing ones out there... hehe, sorry if you would have preferred to watch my vid like a silent film :o

Jackie T. Stephens
01-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice but your backhand looks alittle.. flicky.

hyogen
01-01-2009, 10:12 AM
H,
very nice hitting and super vids.

One thing I noticed was that when you have to go further to your left for a BH, you take a big sideways step with your rt leg to hit, even if you have time to get behind the ball better. With more hustle, you can get over there an hit it more like you hit your BH on the center balls, which I felt was superior.
See what you think and see if you agree.

i do see what you mean and feel it too. that big step with my right let is so I get a good unit turn which becomes more important for those balls where I have to get there quicker. So, that results more of a weaker backhand or only a down the line backhand shot. Thanks, I'm gonna work on hustling better, better footwork, and unloading this fat that I shouldn't have :)

ssjkyle31
01-01-2009, 10:15 AM
Yes, it's funny though.
If you under rate, you get slammed for sand bagging.
If you over rate, folks think you are big headed.
Too bad everyone ain't perfect at rating, right. LoL

Easy 3.5+ on what I saw. Would have to see points to know more.
Depends, how are you doing against other rated players?

hyogen
01-01-2009, 10:16 AM
Nice but your backhand looks alittle.. flicky.

the very first two look a little flicky I agree, but most of the other ones I thought were pretty good. However, it's def. not as smooth and established as the forehand side. My forehand can still be a good shot even if I'm late or a little off balance, etc...but my backhand...if I don't get a good step and unit turn in there (I can't really hit it with open stance...not enough power/rotation) then yes, it does end up being a little slappy - and not as powerful :|

thanks TTW for helping me transform my backhand to where it is (still a work in progress) and my serve to where it is (had no idea what a trophy position was)...also my foot steps during a serve...if you look at my old vids which may or may not exist anymore...there was this really weird quick step I took with my back foot right before impact of the ball - and it used to break the kinetic chain, but now I think I can improve it further with the couple fixes i have already made.

ssjkyle31
01-01-2009, 10:22 AM
You might want some shot behind you playing? I would like to see where the ball is going. Most look like they where going out.

hyogen
01-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Depends, how are you doing against other rated players?

i get killed by 5.0s - straight up bageled. 4.5's I can maybe win a game or three if I'm serving well. I almost never double fault, and have a pretty strong 2nd serve. My first serve is not a full flat serve, but I hear it has quite a bit of spin to it. When I'm healthy and energetic, I think I could hang with 4.0s. Not in doubles though... So, I'm sure I wouldn't win every match or even a majority of matches in 3.5. So I think over all maybe a 3.5 at the moment, but with potential to be 4.5...with time and if I get my fitness up...and of course lessons would help....but that's what you guys are for!

hyogen
01-01-2009, 10:25 AM
You might want some shot behind you playing? I would like to see where the ball is going. Most look like they where going out.

ok I'll get some--there are a couple short vids in that compliation with the camera behind my hitting partner so you can see some of my shots. Also, the ones where it is shooting vids of my friend you can see that almost all the shots are in, somewhere between the service line and the baseline. I have pretty low net clearance on my shots, but there is a lot of topspin generated by the wrist turn/windshield wiper action and my SW forehand grip. My weakest shot is the backhand and if it's a bad shot it'll be too short

bad_call
01-01-2009, 10:32 AM
nice video...the camera rocks!!

01-01-2009, 10:42 AM
i do see what you mean and feel it too. that big step with my right let is so I get a good unit turn which becomes more important for those balls where I have to get there quicker. So, that results more of a weaker backhand or only a down the line backhand shot. Thanks, I'm gonna work on hustling better, better footwork, and unloading this fat that I shouldn't have :)

just so we are clear,
I am commenting on the step with the right foot as you are hitting. right now on wide balls it's seems too sideways, even when not pushed for time. Could be why some of your BHs are short??

When you hit BHs from the center of court, the rt foot steps more towards the net. I think this is better if you have time to do it even on wider balls.

nice hitting though!

tennisfreak15347
01-01-2009, 10:45 AM
hyogen, do you have any shoulder related problems? judging from your first two serves, you're kind of going straight back and then straight forward, if you know what I'm talking about. On your racquet drop, try doing the " scratching your back" a little closer to your head. It looks like you're putting a lot of stress on your shoulder. other than that, pretty nice :).

drakulie
01-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Could you shoot some video from outer space??? I'd like to see what is going in the parking lot around the courts to better determine what type of rating I will give you. :roll:

tenzinrocks
01-01-2009, 11:05 AM
how did you get your video's slow motion so smooth? what program?

hyogen
01-01-2009, 11:12 AM
how did you get your video's slow motion so smooth? what program?

it's not a program, its the camera - look up casio ex-f1 or ex-fh20 :) instead of a normal camera which shoots 30 frames in a second, these vids are shot at 210frames per second.. and can do up to 1000 (1200 for the ex-f1). I recommend the ex-f1 if you have the $$ for it.

Passion4Tennis
01-01-2009, 11:39 AM
Hyogen, several posters have made some useful comments on how to improve your technique, but I really think you should make conditioning your #1 priority. A guy I used to hit with was a good 30 pounds overweight, and once he started shedding those pounds, his level improved from a 3.5 to a 4.0. He got to the ball quicker, recovered faster, and had better endurance to play those second and third sets.

hyogen
01-01-2009, 12:21 PM
hyogen, do you have any shoulder related problems? judging from your first two serves, you're kind of going straight back and then straight forward, if you know what I'm talking about. On your racquet drop, try doing the " scratching your back" a little closer to your head. It looks like you're putting a lot of stress on your shoulder. other than that, pretty nice :).

hmm, no shoulder problems here.

Hyogen, several posters have made some useful comments on how to improve your technique, but I really think you should make conditioning your #1 priority. A guy I used to hit with was a good 30 pounds overweight, and once he started shedding those pounds, his level improved from a 3.5 to a 4.0. He got to the ball quicker, recovered faster, and had better endurance to play those second and third sets.

definitely agree...that's my new years resolution. it sucks though...so much more fun to just play tennis

maratsafin5
01-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I think you're a 4.0.

ShooterMcMarco
01-01-2009, 04:23 PM
Damn nice quality on those slow-mos

LeeD
01-01-2009, 05:05 PM
I'd say you have 4.0 strokes, 3.5 serve, but I'm a crusty old fart.....
You can definetely handle hitting the ball.
But you can't really tell your level until you start playing some tounaments, and I mean more than 6, and THEN consider where you stand.
One problem is height. You don't seem to have it. Meaning you have to retrieve farther and harder, and never make mistakes on YOUR part.
Almost all of us under 5'11" tall have to retrieve lots, cover alley to alley, push deep approachs and never mis overheads.
How are those shots?
Sometimes, you can get farther in the end by starting with a slight handicap, then work hard, stay motivated, concentrate harder, and bypass the lucky 6'6" x 220lbs'ers who can win with sheer fun tennis.
OTOH, slow, weak little guys like me can never get any real good.

baseline08thrasher
01-01-2009, 05:11 PM
3.5-4.0
That's what I'd say.

Mada
01-01-2009, 06:13 PM
I think you're a 4.0, but I'm no expert on NTRP ratings. Good luck with your New Years resolution!! (You don't look that overweight)

hyogen
01-01-2009, 06:56 PM
I'd say you have 4.0 strokes, 3.5 serve, but I'm a crusty old fart.....
You can definetely handle hitting the ball.
But you can't really tell your level until you start playing some tounaments, and I mean more than 6, and THEN consider where you stand.
One problem is height. You don't seem to have it. Meaning you have to retrieve farther and harder, and never make mistakes on YOUR part.
Almost all of us under 5'11" tall have to retrieve lots, cover alley to alley, push deep approachs and never mis overheads.
How are those shots?
Sometimes, you can get farther in the end by starting with a slight handicap, then work hard, stay motivated, concentrate harder, and bypass the lucky 6'6" x 220lbs'ers who can win with sheer fun tennis.
OTOH, slow, weak little guys like me can never get any real good.

hmm I never considered myself short.. I am 5'11" and 205. but should be around 165. I guess I look short because of all this excess fat that I gained after college.. alas.

TokyopunK
01-01-2009, 06:58 PM
Once I get a private jet you are on my To Do list Hyogen!!!!

Aiaiaiaiaiaiaiaiayahhhhhhhhh!

tenzinrocks
01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
hmm I never considered myself short.. I am 5'11" and 205. but should be around 165. I guess I look short because of all this excess fat that I gained after college.. alas.

165lb? for 5'11?
i'm 6'0 and i'm 148lbs, but im ripped tho but u should aimed for being ripped for tennis, it really helps. new years resolution maybe? how old r u

hyogen
01-02-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm 26.5

gained all that fat within a couple years after college and have maintained it for another 2. ugh

drakulie
01-02-2009, 08:38 AM
hyogen, this was my first attempt using the camera, so a "weak" production, but I just wanted to see how the camera performs. I also took a quick video at 600 frames per second hitting off a backboard. Enjoy!

photos at 60 frames per second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoSvArxJ96U&feature=channel_page

video at 600 frames per second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMiWDj6pEOg&feature=channel

sureshs
01-02-2009, 09:20 AM
hyogen, this was my first attempt using the camera, so a "weak" production, but I just wanted to see how the camera performs. I also took a quick video at 600 frames per second hitting off a backboard. Enjoy!

photos at 60 frames per second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoSvArxJ96U&feature=channel_page

video at 600 frames per second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMiWDj6pEOg&feature=channel

Is that you in the videos?

hyogen
01-02-2009, 09:30 AM
very nice drakulie!

what program did you use to create the 60 frames into a movie? windows movie maker? that's what i use...and to trim videos i use a free program dl'ed online called solveigMM avi trimmer

drakulie
01-02-2009, 09:43 AM
^^yeah, I used winidows movie maker. I used the movie maker to trim/edit everything you see. I have to figure out how to put the music on there now. The music you hear in the 600fps vid is music that came with the program (sucks, but what could I do). :)

I love the 60 frames per second photo option. It is so much more clearer than the vids. Although the vids are unbelievable in what they catch. Have to learn how to use the shutter speed, iso, etc to make it clearer/less distorted.

hyogen
01-02-2009, 09:53 AM
you just import an mp3 just like you import videos/pictures and then drag it onto your work-in-progress

you can trim and move just like you can with videos and pictures. you can do fade in fade outs if you do more than one song.

sureshs
01-02-2009, 10:01 AM
^^yeah, I used winidows movie maker. I used the movie maker to trim/edit everything you see. I have to figure out how to put the music on there now. The music you hear in the 600fps vid is music that came with the program (sucks, but what could I do). :)

I love the 60 frames per second photo option. It is so much more clearer than the vids. Although the vids are unbelievable in what they catch. Have to learn how to use the shutter speed, iso, etc to make it clearer/less distorted.

So it was you?

If so, things make a lot of sense now. You are an advanced player with good technique and it is understandable that player's frames are not a misfit for you. But others may be misled by your claims that K88 and K90 are suitable for 3.5/4.0 players.

drakulie
01-02-2009, 10:12 AM
So it was you?

Sorry, I didn't see your previous post. Yes, thats me.

If so, things make a lot of sense now. You are an advanced player with good technique and it is understandable that player's frames are not a misfit for you. But others may be misled by your claims that K88 and K90 are suitable for 3.5/4.0 players.

I have never really said the k90/kps88 or any other "players frame" is suitable for a 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0, 5.5 etc.

I have always advocated that a player should demo and figure out for themsleves what they are comfortable with. I don't believe there is such a thing as a "players frame", or "tweener frame", etc. There are just different frames with differing characteristics, etc.

My ex-grilfriend (fairly athletic) wanted to take up the sport. the first day we went out to the courts, I took a variety of frames (Volkl c10 pro 98, Radical Oversize, POG mid, etc, etc, etc). I told her to pick any frame. After "dry swinging" every one of them, she chose the POG mid first. we hit for about 5-10 minutes, trying each one out.

She ended up picking the POG Mid, because she stated it felt the most comfortable in **HER** hands. Who am I to tell her, "it isn't comfortable", and what she is experiencing is a hallucination.

She played no differently with that frame than any other. She hit the ball long, into the net, swung and missed, hit it over the fence, etc, etc,, etc/ And yes, she evern hit some in the courts. Not one frame made any difference. The only thing that was important at that point was for her to feel comfortable. Period.

sureshs
01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
^^^ All that maybe true, but nevertheless your racquet choices should be taken with a grain of salt by recreational players. How can I tell that? I noticed that your eye is on the contact point on the backhand even after the ball has gone. Such a small thing can indicate the level of the player.

drakulie
01-02-2009, 10:41 AM
^^suresh, I still miss shots (a lot) on both the fh and bh. I still make dumb mistakes, get lazy with the feet, shank shots, etc. I still have a lot of improving to do and am working on it, even though I know I'm never going to win the US Open, or be above an average player at best. Yes, some of us are a bit higher level, but really>>>> who cares??? We are just hacks on this board with one common love/passion>>> tennis.

Again, who am I to tell someone else what **they** are or are not comfortable with? I see beginners using mids all the time. I see them using OS frames all the time. One thing is for certain>> they are enjoying themselves, and that's all that matters.

I may be an advanced player, but simply can't get comfortable using a head heavy frame. Go figure. It all comes down to what the individual finds comfortable, and if they are enjoying themsleves enough to keep playing. :)

sureshs
01-02-2009, 10:45 AM
^^^ You have an unfair advantage in that your career is aligned with tennis, enabling you to justify long hours on court. For most of us, there is something else we should be doing instead of playing. Even the thought of it affects the focus.

Mansewerz
01-02-2009, 11:48 AM
^^suresh, I still miss shots (a lot) on both the fh and bh. I still make dumb mistakes, get lazy with the feet, shank shots, etc. I still have a lot of improving to do and am working on it, even though I know I'm never going to win the US Open, or be above an average player at best. Yes, some of us are a bit higher level, but really>>>> who cares??? We are just hacks on this board with one common love/passion>>> tennis.

Again, who am I to tell someone else what **they** are or are not comfortable with? I see beginners using mids all the time. I see them using OS frames all the time. One thing is for certain>> they are enjoying themselves, and that's all that matters.

I may be an advanced player, but simply can't get comfortable using a head heavy frame. Go figure. It all comes down to what the individual finds comfortable, and if they are enjoying themsleves enough to keep playing. :)

But you can still tell Nadal which racquet to use :D

Drak, what do you do for a living?

LuckyR
01-02-2009, 01:12 PM
luckyr when are we gonna hit again :) as you can see in the videos, my feet aren't as lazy as when I was hitting against you :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcsXcSfPmk compiled everything into one video.

When I gt back from Kona in mid-January. Leaving tomorrow.

FloridaAG
01-02-2009, 01:26 PM
The slo-mo feature is quite cool.

To Hygogen - your strokes look good man, keep working on it.

Topaz
01-02-2009, 02:02 PM
My ex-grilfriend (fairly athletic) wanted to take up the sport. the first day we went out to the courts, I took a variety of frames (Volkl c10 pro 98, Radical Oversize, POG mid, etc, etc, etc). I told her to pick any frame. After "dry swinging" every one of them, she chose the POG mid first. we hit for about 5-10 minutes, trying each one out.

What the heck? You're letting your girlfriends use my racquet?????
:shock::evil::twisted:

PS...Drak's advantage is not so much his career, but the fact that 26 tennis courts are located in his backyard!

sureshs
01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
What the heck? You're letting your girlfriends use my racquet?????
:shock::evil::twisted:

PS...Drak's advantage is not so much his career, but the fact that 26 tennis courts are located in his backyard!

Two are located in my backyard, 10 more 5 minutes in one direction, and 10 more 5 minutes in another direction. Problem is time. Always comes down to time. I end up checking company email on my phone during changeovers. The mind is not free.

drakulie
01-02-2009, 04:47 PM
But you can still tell Nadal which racquet to use :D

Drak, what do you do for a living?

Area Director overseeing 21st Century Programs. It's work with kids in low-income, high poverty areas.

And yes, I live where there are 26 courts, so I get to see and sometimes hit with nationally ranked players, as well as ATP/WTA pros. many train here.

Here is my latest masterpiece;. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yz9LOKSMQKA

In case you are wondering, the girl in the video is, Panterka from the TW boards.

LeeD
01-02-2009, 04:52 PM
So she was your ex?
You shoulda stuck around a bit and reap the benefits ... prize money.
Good balance if you can hit out with zories and not leave them behind twisted and shredded.
I loan out my rackets all the time, even to 10x worse players. What's it worth, maybe 50 bucks each?
And to here, for sure.

Mansewerz
01-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Area Director overseeing 21st Century Programs. It's work with kids in low-income, high poverty areas.

And yes, I live where there are 26 courts, so I get to see and sometimes hit with nationally ranked players, as well as ATP/WTA pros. many train here.

In case you are wondering, the girl in the video is, Panterka from the TW boards.

Nice, good to see you helping the community and playing tennis at the same time. :D

bad_call
01-03-2009, 09:32 AM
...Here is my latest masterpiece;. Enjoy!

that music rocks...same as on one of the surf videos. btw - love Panterka's outfit.

Fedace
01-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Hyogen. On the forehand, you need more of full shoulder turn. Use your left arm as a balance. Take you left arm to start the turn and remain in balance throughout the swing. and you must get your racket back as soon as you know where the ball is going.
http://www.dono.com.cn/tujie/hewiit02.htm
See how Hewitt is using his left arm pointing to his side and remaining in balance.
Your backhand, very nice smooth swing but try to lower your center of gravity little more thru the swing. by using the knee bend.
http://www.dono.com.cn/tujie/hewiit04.htm
See how Hewitt is very low in the beginning of the swing and thru the contact. by having a good knee bend, you can remain in balance much longer and keep the racket head stabe thru the contact point.
You footwork, try stay on your toes while your opponent hits the ball and keep bouncing on your toes. that will help you explode into the direction of where you want to go. Good Luck.

tenzinrocks
01-03-2009, 09:44 AM
you hit like a t-rex

hyogen
01-03-2009, 11:12 AM

whoa my. very nice. very nice editing also drakulie :D

mawashi
01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Nice vids Hydrogen & drakulie,

Panterka has pretty good strokes and she's playing in flip flops and beach wear LOL!

Looks like she's using a Head Prestige MGMP?

mawashi

pfchang
01-04-2009, 12:47 AM
Nice vids Hydrogen & drakulie,

Panterka has pretty good strokes and she's playing in flip flops and beach wear LOL!

Looks like she's using a Head Prestige MGMP?

mawashi

whoah? dude you're back now?

hyogen
01-07-2009, 12:56 PM
wow.....

http://i.gizmodo.com/5122401/casio-brings-1000fps-slow-motion-video-to-point-and-shoot-cameras

these high speed cameras are becoming cheaper and cheaper...smaller and smaller :O

mawashi
01-08-2009, 03:51 AM
whoah? dude you're back now?

Hello mate,

Sort of as I just kidda left for a bit when the infighting got a bit much.

I'm happy to browse about a bit n see what's been happening and if there is any new developments in technique and racquets.

Mostly now I stay to see what kind of garbage fedace (fedfail), quest01, certifiable and other know nuts are throwing about LOL!

The recent thread on fedfail was hilarious especially after I read the Fail thread LOL!

Can't wait till my vantages finally arrive in bout a week or so then I can do a final amateur review of some frames :-)

Regards pal,

mawashi

Bud
01-21-2009, 10:25 AM
Happy New Year!!!!

I was pretty happy with how i played yesterday and i took a lot of vids yesterday; will keep adding here as I have a chance to upload:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcsXcSfPmk I just edited and compiled it into one nice video.

thanks for critiquing - rate me from what you see if you want to. I've been rated 2.5 by BB not too long ago :twisted: i'll take it as a compliment coming from him :D

My new years resolution will be to lose 40lbs by the end of 2009. :mad:

Sorry mate, I was put off by the 'war-theme' type music. What were you thinking???.

Yeah... the music + drama/slow motion video stuff has got to go! I felt like I was watching a satirical Chariots of Fire remake for a weight loss commercial (seriously :)).

As far as your level... your strokes are definitely not 2.5... but higher 3.5/4.0, IMO. Haven't seen you play a match though. That's where the rubber hits the road.

BB is correct... you need to drop some weight as it appears to be hindering your movement. Some people can carry extra weight and still move effectively around the court. You're not one of those people.

I see alot of potential though, if you got serious.

Bud
01-21-2009, 10:29 AM

Nice video (and music) and stroke demonstration. What is her rating? I noticed on both backhand and forehand shots... the tennis ball was smack in the racquet's sweet spot. This is someone who's been playing/training for awhile!

Very nice 2HBH, too! Nice racquet prep... bent knees... eye on the ball right up until contact... right arm tucked into the body... nice follow through. The only problem was the racquet face was a bit too open at contact... and as a result, I noticed the trajectory of the ball was much higher than when it arrived from her hitting partner/ball machine.

However... flip flops on clay... a definite no-no :lol:

LeeD
01-21-2009, 10:34 AM
Actually.....
Some really famous coach's recommend wearing loosely tied shoes to flipflops for practice of balance before, during, and after the stroke.
Of course, you don't run or hit all out.
It's just a teaching tool to get better balance and a more stable hitting platform.
ArtLarsen is the first to come to mind, and several of the GGPark's teaching pros recommend that as a training tool for balance.

hyogen
01-21-2009, 10:45 AM
hmm...funny that you should mention that. I found that when I was learning to rollerblade and do a little more advanced techniques like slaloming or skating with my non-dominant foot, it was easier for me to have looser boots so that my ankles could maneuver better...

hyogen
01-21-2009, 10:46 AM
you hit like a t-rex

what do u mean by that? i hit my forehand close to my body? or is it the double bend...wrist and elbow? -_-

or are you commenting on the small arms compared to the gigantic body :x

Fedace
01-21-2009, 10:47 AM
do you want me to critique you or did you find my advice kind of useless ?

hyogen
01-21-2009, 11:17 AM
no, i'll take any advice i can get fedace

mordecai
01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
You have an unnecessary step between your split and crossover. Eliminate it. Crossover first then adjustments.

drakulie
01-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice video (and music) and stroke demonstration. What is her rating? I noticed on both backhand and forehand shots... the tennis ball was smack in the racquet's sweet spot. This is someone who's been playing/training for awhile!

Very nice 2HBH, too! Nice racquet prep... bent knees... eye on the ball right up until contact... right arm tucked into the body... nice follow through. The only problem was the racquet face was a bit too open at contact... and as a result, I noticed the trajectory of the ball was much higher than when it arrived from her hitting partner/ball machine.

However... flip flops on clay... a definite no-no :lol:

Yup, she has very nice/smooth strokes. Very technically sound. As for her rating>>>> I'm a 4.5 and she keeps up with me when drilling. Has a nasty down the line backhand, and very potent Forehand. Her backhand is VERY flat (hence the open face) at contact.

Funny thing is, she wasn't even playing on this day. I was messing with the camera trying to figure out how to work it, and she came by. So.... she wanted some photos shot of her, and I used her as a my "model", which is why you see her dressed like a castaway from Gilligans Island. :) Also, she is using my frame in these sequences. She uses a Babolat Pure Drive Team.

Very good player.

habib
01-21-2009, 05:33 PM
This is me after not hitting for 2 weeks, my wrist feels better after rest + physical therapy,

I don't know the background story here, but looking at the super-slow-mo of your forehand, I am not surprised you've had wrist problems (though, for all I know, you may be talking about your off-hand). You really torque your wrist over the ball when you start your follow through, and it looks like it could seriously tweak either a muscle or a ligament.

hyogen
01-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I don't know the background story here, but looking at the super-slow-mo of your forehand, I am not surprised you've had wrist problems (though, for all I know, you may be talking about your off-hand). You really torque your wrist over the ball when you start your follow through, and it looks like it could seriously tweak either a muscle or a ligament.

really?? I never had wrist issues until i played for a long while with a pure drive. I think a more flexy racquet would have absorbed impact more and not tweaked my wrist as much.

does it really look like i'm torquing my wrist over the ball? Have you heard of a windshield wiper forehand? I *think* that's what I'm doing.. also play with a semi-western forehand grip.

Slicendicer
01-23-2009, 11:19 AM
I would drop shot you, and slice to your forehand all-day.

Slicendicer
01-23-2009, 11:21 AM
I would drop shot you, and low-slice ball to your forehand all-day.

hyogen
01-23-2009, 01:08 PM
i'd probably have trouble getting to your drop shots, but i can hit low forehands fine :o

Slicendicer
01-23-2009, 01:36 PM
i'd probably have trouble getting to your drop shots, but i can hit low forehands fine :o

Yeah, I'm sure you do... What I was meaning to say is that because you don't bend knees very often and move away from the ball instead of towards impact, a knifed low slice would give you trouble.

hyogen
01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
ahh i see. i do tend to sometimes move backwards :x

LeeD
01-23-2009, 03:04 PM
Seems you do fine against lower bouncing balls, so you can whack heck out of low slices coming at you.
High bouncers give almost everyone problems, so most retreat back to the nether regions well behind the baseline.
Seems best method is to high prep, stand in and move forward, twist the torso while keeping a somewhat LEVEL swing, and allow the rackethead's natural wiper motion to impart some top to a basically hit flat ball. High balls can be hit really flat, and still go in.
Good you're 5'11", sorry, I didn't mean to slight you on your height. I'm usually a skinny 145 at the same height, so my bad.
I think you have good strokes, and can go as far as you want in this game of tennis.

boojay
01-24-2009, 01:05 PM
Hey Hyo, gotta say, love the camera and camerawork!

I didn't read through the whole thread, but I'm sure the 2.5 comment was a joke. Seems to me you're improving and that's all that matters.

The biggest thing I noticed is the length of your hitting zone is quite small (much like mine before I discovered how to lengthen it.) I found that I wasn't hitting through the ball as much as I could because of this. It's really apparent when you have the slow-mo vids and compare the lag of your strokes (i.e. when your wrist is laid back and pulling the racquet forward) to that of the pros. I think you'll notice they stay in this position much longer than you do, giving them a greater window of opportunity to stay aligned with the ball.

I suggest experimenting until you can increase that zone. It'll do wonders, believe me. You'll get more effortless power, shank less, get more spin, create more angles, see the ball better, etc., etc. It's like magic!

habib
01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
really?? I never had wrist issues until i played for a long while with a pure drive. I think a more flexy racquet would have absorbed impact more and not tweaked my wrist as much.

does it really look like i'm torquing my wrist over the ball? Have you heard of a windshield wiper forehand? I *think* that's what I'm doing.. also play with a semi-western forehand grip.

Yes, thanks, quite familiar with the WW forehand. :-) And I also play with a SW forehand, where 90% of the time I use a WW finish. But the WW finish is a natural consequence of a particular racquet path. Watching your video, it really looks like you intentionally tortque your wrist a LOT on the forehand. Honestly, it makes me cringe a little from imagined pain just watching it (and I don't mean this negatively). :-P

I guess my question would be: was it the stiff racquet's fault, or was it something that was bound to happen eventually even with a more flexible stick?

Edit: I just looked at the super-slow-mo forehand part of the video again, and I think I can finally pin-point what I'm talking about. On your forehand, it seems like rather than extending through the shot, you're really snapping your wrist and just wiping across the ball, instead. Out of an intentional wrist snap or a natural consequence of the lead-in you're using, it causes your right hand and wrist to twist to what looks like a very uncomfortable angle (were it sustained for longer than a fraction of a second).

Here's a good example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwcsXcSfPmk#t=27s

hyogen
01-27-2009, 12:29 PM
hmm...i think i see what you mean. you may be right about the injury, my friend that used to play me all the time back in high school and college says all my shots were really flat back in the day...that was really surprising to hear, but i guess that was the case. I didn't even know about the SW forehand grip or western forehand grip until my latter years of college..

i can tell you that the way i'm hitting my forehands doesn't cause any pain while hitting or even afterwards...other than just the nagging injury that will not heal due to playing on it...like the popping of the wrist joint/ligaments.