PDA

View Full Version : Federer hitting patterns?

Farz77
01-01-2009, 03:23 PM
Just as the title says, has anyone found any sites or heard anywhere about Federer's groundstrokes tactics. I remember hearing something like Forehand CC the Forehand DTL then Backhand CC then Backhand DTL then Forehand somewhere then slice somewhere the inside-out forehand.
Anyway if anyone has any idea, an answer would be greatly appreciated.

LeeD
01-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I'd suspect it depends who's he playing and what the strengths and weakness happen to be.
Basic strategy before a match is only good for a couple games, when you find out more about the other player and his strokes.
Then you change up, or you gotta changeup, to win.
If it works, don't change until the pattern is broken.
So even in the pros, gotta test the high backhand, gotta see if they can cover alley to alley, and then draw them in to test their overheads and volleys.
Since most guys who actually play matches against the Fed are at least 6.5 level players, maybe just concentrate on his own shots with some margin for error and see how it goes.

Babb
01-01-2009, 04:00 PM
Guy on YouTube with the username "federermagic" has a ton of stuff on Federer...

baseline08thrasher
01-01-2009, 10:08 PM
What I've seen from federer is that he picks a corner, and just hits there until he gets his opponent off the court, and then changes direction, or hits behind his opponent.

baseline08thrasher
01-01-2009, 10:08 PM
I'd suspect it depends who's he playing and what the strengths and weakness happen to be.
Basic strategy before a match is only good for a couple games, when you find out more about the other player and his strokes.
So even in the pros, gotta test the high backhand, gotta see if they can cover alley to alley, and then draw them in to test their overheads and volleys.
Since most guys who actually play matches against the Fed are at least 6.5 level players, maybe just concentrate on his own shots with some margin for error and see how it goes.

Very well explained.

tenzinrocks
01-03-2009, 09:11 AM
What I've seen from federer is that he picks a corner, and just hits there until he gets his opponent off the court, and then changes direction, or hits behind his opponent.

dude no he doesn't, you basically described NADAL

Babb
01-03-2009, 10:25 AM
dude no he doesn't, you basically described NADAL

Nadal only does that to Federer.

tenzinrocks
01-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Nadal only does that to Federer.

no he doesn't, he does it to A LOT of people, it's his strategy, he hits one corner over and over until he gets it or feels he can't so he switches sides. I suggest you watch more matches of Nadal before you make an assumption like that.

AznHylite
01-03-2009, 12:39 PM
no he doesn't, he does it to A LOT of people, it's his strategy, he hits one corner over and over until he gets it or feels he can't so he switches sides. I suggest you watch more matches of Nadal before you make an assumption like that.

Well said.

sinned
01-05-2009, 06:37 AM
Hitting to the same corner is a basic strategy because of its consistency. Everyone should use it a few times in a match.

LeeD
01-05-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm glad none of you guys suggest to hint that any top player has a hitting direction pattern that is followed match after match.
I'd pick up on it immediately and run over to cover before the ball is struck...so would all other players.
So you gotta wing it, test the other player, concentrate on your strengths, and then his weakness's.
Guaranteed if Nadal played with any one of us, he'd just hit one crosscourt, then one down the line, and start to laugh as we passed out from excessive exertion of energy!

Mada
01-05-2009, 12:39 PM
Just as the title says, has anyone found any sites or heard anywhere about Federer's groundstrokes tactics. I remember hearing something like Forehand CC the Forehand DTL then Backhand CC then Backhand DTL then Forehand somewhere then slice somewhere the inside-out forehand.
Anyway if anyone has any idea, an answer would be greatly appreciated.

Shouldn't a 5.0 know strategies to win matches already?

Farz77
01-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Shouldn't a 5.0 know strategies to win matches already?

I do!!! That's why my question wasn't : What are stategies or tactics? My question was regarding Federer's since I heard it somewhere. Read the question sometimes buddy, it help to know what other are talking about.

Mada
01-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I do!!! That's why my question wasn't : What are stategies or tactics? My question was regarding Federer's since I heard it somewhere. Read the question sometimes buddy, it help to know what other are talking about.

Haha relax, I was kidding. Anyway, you need to upload a video. :twisted:
It would be interesting if you really were a 5.0. I doubt it, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Farz77
01-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Haha relax, I was kidding. Anyway, you need to upload a video. :twisted:
It would be interesting if you really were a 5.0. I doubt it, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

I would like to as well. I promise as soon as I get my camera and ask someone to tape a lesson or a match for me, I will make a youtube account staright away and post it on this forum staight away.

schwuller
01-10-2009, 03:10 PM
federer does has some unique patterns that he employs. so does nadal. they are very recognizable. take for instance the nadal inside-in forehand short with heavy spin. he uses this A LOT, to open the court. it really is one of his signature shots, as much as the inside-out courrier forehand. federer hits a short slice drive bh as an approach shot. this is pretty unique to federer, although others use it more now, because its been recognized as being so effective. think about it - if you are right handed and get a cross court driven slice that lands short near the service line, it is very difficult for even a pro to hit a good shot back. that is not really a PATTERN....but...there you are!
we are taught to approach deep, or beware. but fed often approaches short to the backhand to great effect. try it! it works for us 4.0 guys very well!
i think what the original poster is REALLY asking is what federer-isms can he/she employ to great effect in his/her own game.
speaking of patterns, there are two great sources for match strategy, r.e. patterns, in my opinion. one is the great brad gilbert book Winning Ugly. the other, the great video that McEnroe and Lendl made together.

swedechris
01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
Very well explained.

damn right .. thats the way its done.

swedechris
01-10-2009, 03:45 PM

Exactly right .. that is the way it is done.