PDA

View Full Version : Anyone following the World Juniour Hockey?

CanadianChic
01-01-2009, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I know, I know. This is a tennis forum, but if fool's ball and soccer have their own thread, I'm creating one for the WJH Championship. The Canucks are into the semi's (no shock there) and I believe they'll be taking the trophy (yet again). Yes, I'm crowing and proud to be a card carrying member of the frozen tundra winter ice hockey land of the North.

http://www.forecaster.ca/cbc/hockey/tournament-sched.cgi?wjc2009

As you all were.......

NickC
01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
I get the NHL network, and because my pops is from Buffalo (basically Canada, eh?) he raised me to be a huge hockey fan. I was watching the USA-Kazakhstan match the other day while switching back and fourth from that and the Buffalo game. The USA looked alright but against Kazakhstan you don't need too much to get the job done. I know the USA and Canada played eachother today, didn't get an opportunity to watch. For you Canucks, who is the big name on the team? Isn't the youngest Staal brother on the team, I heard that he was something special.

CanadianChic
01-01-2009, 07:18 PM
I take my hat off to Kazakhstan for getting out there and giving it their all. They had some very difficult competition but showed some great heart and determination. We have a few big names, but my top four would be: Tavares, Esposito, Boychuk and Hickey. I watched the first half of the Canada vs. U.S. game the other night as well. There was a lot of aggression on the ice although they seemed to settle down after the first intermission.

peter
01-02-2009, 01:03 AM
The Canucks are into the semi's (no shock there) and I believe they'll be taking the trophy (yet again).

Sorry. Team Sweden will take the trophy this time!

slagvaerk
01-02-2009, 03:17 AM

You bet! :)

CanadianChic
01-02-2009, 03:26 PM

I think it'll be Sweden vs. Canada in the final for sure. Slovakia just beat the U.S. so it is all falling nicely into place.

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-02-2009, 03:56 PM
Not really. But I love hockey (the NHL in particular.) Do you follow the NHL Canadianchic? If so, please console me on my Blackhawks being defeated by the Red Wings YET AGAIN in the Winter Classic. :cry:

EDIT: looking at some of the scores, these matches are usually blowouts, no?

TheShaun
01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
i'm so ****ed that i missed the new years eve game.ANGER RAGE!!!!!!!!

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
i'm so ****ed that i missed the new years eve game.ANGER RAGE!!!!!!!!

It was going great for the Hawks until they blew a 3-1 lead. It ended up being 6-4. But this is for World Junior Hockey, should I start a new thread for hockey?

TheShaun
01-03-2009, 11:18 AM
It was going great for the Hawks until they blew a 3-1 lead. It ended up being 6-4. But this is for World Junior Hockey, should I start a new thread for hockey?

i was talking about the Canada vs. USA game.....

slagvaerk
01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Sweden-Slovakia 5-3 :)

S H O W S T O P P E R !
01-03-2009, 03:26 PM
i was talking about the Canada vs. USA game.....

Oh..... lol. :oops:

CanadianChic
01-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Sweden is in the finals and Russia and Canada play tonight for the other slot. Go Canada! Woop! Woop! Bring it home boys, you can do it!!

CanadianChic
01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Sorry...double post.

CanadianChic
01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Oh..... lol. :oops:

No worries. I used to follow it a lot more than I do now. I still collect the cards and I follow the Stanley Cup playoffs. I don't watch the matches through the season anymore but have my favourites. Calgary for Canada and Colorado for the U.S.

CanadianChic
01-03-2009, 05:53 PM
OMG, the crowd is wild. Peter you are missing a heck of a game right now. Seconds to spare and the Canucks just scored bringing it to a 5-5 tie. I have to work in the morning, but there is no way I will miss the end.

CanadianChic
01-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I believe I'm the only one watching. Hats off to the Russians. This could have gone either way and when it goes all the way past OT to a shootout, you know they are all amazing kids with great careers ahead of them. They played their hearts out and it upsets me to see their tears of disappointment.

Okay Peter, we're on! ;) Good luck to team Sweden - I know you love your hockey just as I do.

TheShaun
01-03-2009, 06:35 PM
I believe I'm the only one watching. Hats off to the Russians. This could have gone either way and when it goes all the way past OT to a shootout, you know they are all amazing kids with great careers ahead of them. They played their hearts out and it upsets me to see their tears of disappointment.

Okay Peter, we're on! ;) Good luck to team Sweden - I know you love your hockey just as I do.

nope, but you were the only one watching and posting. what a great game! first time in a while where i watched a game start to finsh. can't wait till monday. gonna have to leave the office early.

topspin
01-03-2009, 06:36 PM
You were not the only one watching CC. I was just waiting for that last goal in the dying seconds of the 3rd. I can just feel that the puck was not going to leave the zone and head back towards the net. Anticipating one last chance, I didn't expect that great a move by Eberle. This is one really talented player and I'm sure they can't wait to see him play in Edmonton.

The shootout also exceeded expectations with 2 simply amazing goals by Eberle and Tavares. The level of skill these players have been showing is just fun to watch.

Hope to see one more solid game. Should be a battle. Canada normally does not do too well against Sweden. Hope it's a good game that is won fairly without the refs getting in the way.

1st Seed
01-04-2009, 05:48 AM
Canadian Chic I'm in love with you already.You had me at WJHC.Im in the T.O.Last nights defeat over russia was almost as nice as defeating the now called U.S.eh! Sweden is our next victim.Insert coin Sweden, and thanks for comin out, plus take your free t-shirts and go home.Our game nuff said.

topspin
01-05-2009, 04:03 PM
game on.....

topspin
01-05-2009, 06:26 PM
woooooohooooooo, CC, break out the champagne!

Hot Sauce
01-05-2009, 06:27 PM
Canada!

Canada!

Canada!

Canada!

What a racquet!
01-05-2009, 07:33 PM
You bet!:)
Guess not. Too bad for you.

slagvaerk
01-06-2009, 02:34 AM
Guess not. Too bad for you.

Congratulations!

...well, well. I guess it is simply time to watch this clip :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5sEzu1njoA

Swedish media is btw _not_ very happy with the referees/officials, but I guess it would have been the other way around if the numbers on the scoreboard had been the opposite. So let us not even go there...

Haasquet
01-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Congratulations!

...well, well. I guess it is simply time to watch this clip :):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5sEzu1njoA

Swedish media is btw _not_ very happy with the referees/officials, but I guess it would have been the other way around if the numbers on the scoreboard had been the opposite. So let us not even go there...

The Forsberg goal is one of the nicest of all time. However, regarding last night's reffing, perhaps Sweden would have gotten more sympathy had Markstrom stayed on his feet instead of flopping all over the place.

Obviously this doesn't reflect badly on the whole team, but his 'efforts' were pretty shambolic. As good as he is, he'd win more fans is he didn't spend more time diving for penalties than he did trying to stop pucks...

Haasquet
01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
OMG, the crowd is wild. Peter you are missing a heck of a game right now. Seconds to spare and the Canucks just scored bringing it to a 5-5 tie. I have to work in the morning, but there is no way I will miss the end.

I slipped on the back of the seat in front of me while celebrating Eberle's tying goal and I ended up all over my *** in the row in front. It was still worth it to have seen it live.

The quality of the Canada-US New Years eve game was better, but the excitement of the last portion of this game was ridiculous.

TheShaun
01-06-2009, 05:48 PM

it's OK peter. you can out and play again. no need to be embarrassed :twisted:

peter
01-07-2009, 01:24 AM
it's OK peter. you can out and play again. no need to be embarrassed :twisted:

Hehe. Well, I didn't even watch the game :-)

topspin
01-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Where did CC run off to?