PDA

View Full Version : Help? stop hoping/jumping on forehand

jgn1013
01-02-2009, 07:19 AM
I just recorded myself the other day to find my stroke & foot work atrocious.
Can someone give me some tips on how to stop hoping/jumping on my forehand, man it looks so bad.

I will try to post video at a later date.

TIA

sonicboi21
01-02-2009, 08:35 AM
there are no tips if we cant see why you're jumping. if you're jumping to the ball because you cant get to it in time, get to the ball faster. if not, there are no tips. you have to work on it psychologically

jgn1013
01-02-2009, 08:54 AM
It's not that I can't get to the ball, I just hop when hitting my forehand. guess it's psycological, will concentrate on keeping my feet on the ground.

Racer41c
01-02-2009, 09:31 AM
I have the same problem. For me, the biggest contributing factor is taking the ball at the wrong contact point, so I try to move quicker to a hitting position.

LeeD
01-02-2009, 12:03 PM
Agassi mostly jumps.....during tight matches and points.
But the rest try to keep both feet near the ground.
Results count, everything is foo foo.
If your forehands go 60 mph with some direction and consistency, why not?
If your forehands are slow, inconsistent, or regularly mishit, I say change that aspect.

fuzz nation
01-03-2009, 08:07 AM
It's too easy for me to jump if I get stuck on my back foot. It let's me pull up off the ball as if I'm trying for too much spin instead of drive through the hitting zone with rotation.

To settle that down, I remind myself to "get off my back foot", but I need to do it early enough so that my weight transfer is near the start of my stroke instead of happening at contact where it's too easy to pull up. Focus on using your back foot push to start your stroke.