PDA

View Full Version : Training to become pro

gangster33
01-02-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm 15 and i have a ntrp rating of 4.5 - 5 I'm now working out 1-2 hours and playing tennis 3-4 hours every day of the week execpt sundays. If i continue doing this, can i turn pro?

By pro i mean winning money tournaments and getting a world ranking.
like top 2000 in the world.

is it likely?

10s talk
01-02-2009, 04:09 PM
no.............

strahan918
01-02-2009, 04:11 PM
Do you play tournies? Do you have a high ranking nationally? If not, I doubt it.

LeeD
01-02-2009, 04:12 PM
4.5 at 15, meaning you go 4 rounds most 4.5 tournaments now?
The door is open, but do you have the concentration, will power, resolve, tunnel vision, recovery ability, work ethic later when you get interested in other things, and knowledge background for you to rise another 2 and a half levels in 4 years?
Hope so, somebody's got to take over from Roddick.

Ballinbob
01-02-2009, 04:22 PM
I honestly don't mean to put you down or anything but:

1. I'm 15, when i first rated myself I said I was a 5.0..... I'm really a 3.5. I know you'll disagree with me, but its probably the truth.
2. I practice 4-5 hours a day and I'm going to struggle making to a DII college. Oh and I have it pretty good for tennis. I can run a 100m dash in 11.77 seconds, have courts right next to my house, have friends who play tennis, and parents who support me with tennis and pay for my tourney entry fees. And yeah, i'm still a 3.5.

Not many players even reach the 4.5 level to be honest... Once again, I don't mean to put you down, but that's prob the case here. You may be one in a million who actually is a 4.5 at 15, but chances are no

m27
01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
yes, its possible. however, if you were really a 4.5-5.0, you probably wouldn't be asking this question here.

BullDogTennis
01-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Not many players even reach the 4.5 level to be honest... Once again, I don't mean to put you down, but that's prob the case here. You may be one in a million who actually is a 4.5 at 15, but chances are no

alot of people reach 4.5---not many reach it at 15, very true--if thats what you meant from the whole statement, than your right. but alot of people in general get to 4.5

Mick
01-02-2009, 04:46 PM
top tennis players on good HS teams are excellent players but according USTA tennis rating, a 4.5 player is even better than that.
This player has begun to master the use of power and spins; has sound footwork; can control depth of shots and is able to move the opponent up and back; can hit first serves with above average power and accuracy and place the second serve; is able to rush net with some success on serve against players of similar ability; can compete evenly with top players on good high school teams that are advancing beyond regional play to the state tournament.

source: USTA Tennis Rating Program (http://gustavus.edu/events/athletics/tlc/2008/USTATENNISRATINGPROGRAM.html)

Ballinbob
01-02-2009, 04:49 PM
alot of people reach 4.5---not many reach it at 15, very true--if thats what you meant from the whole statement, than your right. but alot of people in general get to 4.5

No I'm talking about 15 year old highschool tennis players. Out of the 12 schools we play with, I think there was one guy who was 15 and ranked #1 singles, and i'm pretty sure he's a 4.5. That school won state for 2 years in a row I think as well, so its a good school.

4.5 is achievable for sure, but its rare (where I live at least) to see a 4.5 15 year old. That's all im saying

WildVolley
01-02-2009, 05:35 PM
top tennis players on good HS teams are excellent players but according USTA tennis rating, a 4.5 player is even better than that.

source: USTA Tennis Rating Program (http://gustavus.edu/events/athletics/tlc/2008/USTATENNISRATINGPROGRAM.html)

I think the USTA is too general here. Some of the top high school players go on to play college and even D1. While I don't pretend to be an expert, I'd argue that the elite of high schools in my area (California) are 5.0+, while the average good high school player is a 3.5.

A few of the players my team has played against have gone division 1 on scholarship.

LeeD
01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Nobody around SFBayArea got any good in the Men's Pros.
However, PeaLouie won the CanadianOpen 2 years after losing in her AAA finals to my hitting partner, who immediately became #2 for CanadaCollege upon graduation.
So she went from Women's 5 to easily 7 in 2 years.
Rollie (he was 6' and lefty) would maybe have gone from Mens' high B to Mens' high A's, because he made #1 for Canada his sophmore year, second year there.
So that's just about what you guys been saying....but back 30 years.
Average highschool singles can be from 3.5 to 5.

Mahboob Khan
01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
At this age you ought to have sound technique and good practical knowledge of tactics. The most important thing at this age in my view is movement, speed, quickness, agility.

As you go into 16 you should be doing more power exercisesm (gym, medicine ball, stability ball). In my view, movement and power go side by side. Moving to the ball is one thing and punishing that ball with power is another! This is modern tennis.

By age 16-17 you should have reasonable height .. at least 6' or more .. and great serve with power and placement. I mean the serve should be a weapon, along with your forehand should be a weapon, and you should have a dependable BH with good slice.

You should have a great resolve to handle tough losses, and lots of money to cover your equipment, coaching, training, travelling to/from venues, lodging/boarding at site, and incidental costs' expenses!

If you have the determination IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING!

futuratennis
01-02-2009, 06:21 PM

1. I'm 15, when i first rated myself I said I was a 5.0..... I'm really a 3.5. I know you'll disagree with me, but its probably the truth.
2. I practice 4-5 hours a day and I'm going to struggle making to a DII college. Oh and I have it pretty good for tennis. I can run a 100m dash in 11.77 seconds, have courts right next to my house, have friends who play tennis, and parents who support me with tennis and pay for my tourney entry fees. And yeah, i'm still a 3.5.

im a 4.5, and i turned 16 3 months ago

AznHylite
01-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Sometimes I wish I had started much earlier... =_=. I'm 17 right now and I'm still at the 3.0-3.5 level after 2-2.5 years of play. If only I had started at 10...

And to answer your question, it's definitely possible to become pro. However, the determination HAS to be there. Not many people make it pro, and there's a reason why.

Bagumbawalla
01-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Say you had all the advantages in the world-- the son of Agassi and Graff, started playing at 4 years old, best coaches, trainers, everything.

Even that does not assure you of success in the professional leagues.

So, your chances of making a living in competitive tennis are about as slim as winning the lottery, but that does not mean you should not train hard, learn tactics, and do your best.

kelz
01-02-2009, 08:32 PM

100m in 11.66 seconds?!?!?!? You in the sprint squad too?

kelz
01-02-2009, 08:34 PM
I'm 15 and i have a ntrp rating of 4.5 - 5 I'm now working out 1-2 hours and playing tennis 3-4 hours every day of the week execpt sundays. If i continue doing this, can i turn pro?

is it likely?

Show us some videos of yourself playing, perhaps you could get a better analysis of yourself and a more realistic NTRP.

Mick
01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Sometimes I wish I had started much earlier... =_=. I'm 17 right now and I'm still at the 3.0-3.5 level after 2-2.5 years of play. If only I had started at 10...

And to answer your question, it's definitely possible to become pro. However, the determination HAS to be there. Not many people make it pro, and there's a reason why.

donald young started real early, became the number 1 ranked junior player in 2005, but even him is having problem winning tennis matches at the pro level.

jasoncho92
01-02-2009, 09:27 PM
No I'm talking about 15 year old highschool tennis players. Out of the 12 schools we play with, I think there was one guy who was 15 and ranked #1 singles, and i'm pretty sure he's a 4.5. That school won state for 2 years in a row I think as well, so its a good school.

4.5 is achievable for sure, but its rare (where I live at least) to see a 4.5 15 year old. That's all im saying
My best friend was a 4.5 at 15 lol. It seems you have a pretty weak league if the best team has a 4.5 as their #1 singles. The top guys in my league are 5.0-5.5.

baseline08thrasher
01-02-2009, 09:45 PM
It's different for everyone.
lets not sit here and judge.
But if you would like to be judged by the public then you put yourself out there.
If you are wanting to become a professional, then you should first understand how fierce the public can be.

This will tear you apart.
Don't listen to these comments, if you know you heart is where tennis is.

You go out there, you get good grades, and you do the best you can.
Practice hard, focus much.
Don't get caught up, and don't let anybody bring you down.
For if you don't succeed, then you can still have those good grades to fall back on.
Have fun.

baseline08thrasher
01-02-2009, 09:49 PM
You guys,

Are you diverse enough to know that the U.S. has different states WHICH focus on different sports?
hello?
Tennis specific:
in some states its rare to see a 15 year old at 4.5 and some states its easy to find a 4.5 level tennis player at age 15.

It depends on where you live.

You guys have to know that.

D

tennisdad65
01-02-2009, 09:59 PM
yes.. you can .. Go for it. Spend more time on tennis skills and less on weights/fitness. But make sure to warm up properly before training and stretch afterwards.

Tikiman53
01-02-2009, 10:02 PM
How badly do you want it? Let's say you had the chance to reach a career high of #101 (just outside 100 haha), but you also had to give up your genitals and never have a social life. Would you still want it? I know those are kind of ridiculous terms, but you would need to want it pretty badly to become a pro.

But if this is your true passion, and you know for SURE that this is what you want, go for it. If you really are a 4.5 at the age of 15, are talented, and have some good players leading you on and helping you, I think you can do it with tons of grueling work. But also think about all the other things you can do with your life. I mean, tennis is great, but do you really want to slam balls over a net for a career? (Not belittling you or mocking tennis. I freaking love this game)

raiden031
01-03-2009, 03:15 AM

is it likely?

How do you as a 15 year old have time to train that many hours EVERY day? Don't you have school to attend full time? I would say with this much training you easily could be a 4.5-5.0 player assuming you know what you're doing.

And there is a HUGE difference between top 2000 in the world and top 100 in the world. I think you could reach top 2000, but how far you get depends on whether you have a full-time coach or not, how much talent you have, and whether you are playing lots of high level tournaments to gain experience.

plasma
01-03-2009, 03:27 AM
dear baseline08thrasher,

pls adopt me

-plasma

halalula1234
01-03-2009, 04:01 AM
pretty hard and need a lot of money and time spent. Good luck with that i hope u can do it

LeeD
01-03-2009, 09:02 AM
When you make top 120 in the world, the girls come flocking, so social life is not something you need to actively seek.
4 hours a day in addition to full time high school gives you too much time to kill.
C'mon. I went to highschool 8:10 to 3PM. Spring basketball or fall football took from 3:15 to 6:30.
I then bus'ed to my Dad's restaurant 5 days a week and cleaned up from 8-11. Then the one hour bus ride back home.
I studied on the bus.
Plenty of time to get good in tennis, if you don't go on playstation for 6 hours a day.

SirBlend12
01-03-2009, 09:17 AM
How do you as a 15 year old have time to train that many hours EVERY day? Don't you have school to attend full time? I would say with this much training you easily could be a 4.5-5.0 player assuming you know what you're doing.

This is HIGHLY likely. My Varsity practice usually was 2 hours, and then we would stay for another 2-3 and play matches and such or practice different shots, etc. On days where we had matches we usually had 2 hours of matches and then more practice after.

During the season I was playing easily 25 hours a week. When summer came, it was about the same and from time to time even more.

It's not too hard if you love playing tennis, and in the summer, if your local courts are lit until midnight.:)