PDA

View Full Version : two D1 schools looking for American players

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 05:53 PM
Just passing on a little recruiting/scholarship info from our recruiting process (with my son).

These two D1 schools are looking to recruit some American players. (Don't be scared off or make assumptions about their stacked foreign team.) Both coaches personally told me that they want to recruit some American kids, but few apply. (hint, scared off from stacked foreign roster).

University of North Florida
Jacksonville, FL (Atlantic Sun Conference)
this is their first year as D1
Coach = Igal Buberman

University of Georgia Southern
Statesboro, GA (Southern Conference)
Coach = Justin Miles

My son & I visited both places. Georgia Southern is off the beaten path (I95), so it's a big college town, safe & no, it's not hick. Univ of North Florida is a B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L setting, again off the beaten path, very wealthy city/area. Both places had a ton of new academic buildings and new dorm housing.

nationals
01-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Great thanks for the heads up, maybe they will also be interested in kids at a lower level than foreigners, if they are american...

Jackie T. Stephens
01-02-2009, 06:10 PM
I'm here!! I'm in the 11th grade, 4.0 player, I want to be on University of North Florida since I already live down here. It doesn't matter just give me a full scholarship, do you need a number?

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 06:21 PM
I'm here!! I'm in the 11th grade, 4.0 player, I want to be on University of North Florida since I already live down here. It doesn't matter just give me a full scholarship, do you need a number? ...........

Jackie T. Stephens
01-02-2009, 06:31 PM
I'm a Guy!! A young man.. I feel offended.

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 06:48 PM
I'm a Guy!! A young man.. I feel offended.
I am mortified! I thought Jackie was a girl's name. I'll delete my post above, if I can figure it out. So sorry!

Jackie T. Stephens
01-02-2009, 06:50 PM
I am mortified! I thought Jackie was a girl's name. I'll delete my post above, if I can figure it out. So sorry!

I'm kidding but I would love it if you do me the favor, do you need my e-mail or phone number? I tried talking to different colleges but for some reason they want foreigners..

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm kidding but I would love it if you do me the favor, do you need my e-mail or phone number? I tried talking to different colleges but for some reason they want foreigners..
well, when I click on my profile it says you can send me an e-mail. I know others have been successful at this. Shoot me an e-mail.

As for why some colleges have a practice for recruiting foreigners, I do not know. If two coaches tell me they can't get Americans to apply, I am there to fix that!

Some coaches/people assume that only good players come from other countries. Personally, I cannot figure out how a college recruiter can compare ITF matches to USTA matches.

Lastly, I know that foreigners do want to come to America to get a college education. Some of them come from really adverse situations. They happen to play tennis, try out, & get on the team. Works for me if they prove themselves.

Jackie T. Stephens
01-02-2009, 07:45 PM
Sounds good :)

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Sounds good :) no e-mail has arrived yet.

lawlitssoo1n
01-02-2009, 07:56 PM
i emailed u

maratsafin5
01-02-2009, 08:02 PM
Jackie T. Stephens-not trying to be mean, but how the heck do you expect to play D-1 if you're a 4.0?

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 08:07 PM
Jackie T. Stephens-not trying to be mean, but how the heck do you expect to play D-1 if you're a 4.0?
now now boys. Let's not fight. Marat, you should know that young men do a lot of development physically, mentally & emotionally between 17 to 25. This is tennis we're talking about. Ya just never know what's going to happen -- that's what makes it so intriguing, isn't it?

maratsafin5
01-02-2009, 08:16 PM
now now boys. Let's not fight. Marat, you should know that young men do a lot of development physically, mentally & emotionally between 17 to 25. This is tennis we're talking about. Ya just never know what's going to happen -- that's what makes it so intriguing, isn't it?

I'm not fighting or provoking any type of argument, but no D-1 college is even close to 4.0. And why is the development of a man going from age 17-25 relevant when they only care how you perform from ages 18-22, and base accepting/declining you into their program on your skill level at 17. I got crushed when my friend who is 6.0 barely got accepted into the Princeton program, and is barely playing this year, and he would dominate me.

maratsafin5
01-02-2009, 08:17 PM
And why would you apply to a college when you aren't even a senior yet?

lawlitssoo1n
01-02-2009, 08:36 PM
And why would you apply to a college when you aren't even a senior yet?

lol was about to say that hahha

JMS
01-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Well you don't have to be a senior to know where you are going, one of my friends is a senior has known he is going to Wake Forest for soccer since last year.

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 08:43 PM
I'm not fighting or provoking any type of argument, but no D-1 college is even close to 4.0. And why is the development of a man going from age 17-25 relevant when they only care how you perform from ages 18-22, and base accepting/declining you into their program on your skill level at 17. I got crushed when my friend who is 6.0 barely got accepted into the Princeton program, and is barely playing this year, and he would dominate me.
there is a wide span of talent in the D1 schools. I've met some coaches that would be willing to take certain kids for the strangest reasons. It's not up to us to decide. Remember, that other kid is ethnic. The USTA is promoting the ethnics, the colleges want them too. Ya just never know what could happen.

tennismom42
01-02-2009, 08:44 PM
Well you don't have to be a senior to know where you are going, one of my friends is a senior has known he is going to Wake Forest for soccer since last year.
Hope his parents have $54,000 per year to put him through Wake Forest. That's what it costs. No scholarship covers it either, so don't even think about it.

kctennis1005
01-02-2009, 08:53 PM

well marat since your a 5.5 u should be able to play d1 right? i dont see many 1-stars playing d1 tho so idk

kashgotmoney
01-02-2009, 09:42 PM
im interested

Julieta
01-03-2009, 06:09 AM

There are 4.0s in D1.

maratsafin5
01-03-2009, 07:34 AM
There are 4.0s in D1.

I doubt that's even true for women's D-1(no offense)

Julieta
01-03-2009, 08:06 AM
I doubt that's even true for women's D-1(no offense)

It's true. I know of a men's team where the #1 guy was in the 6.0/6.5 range (he had a French rating of -2/6) #2 played qualies in a grand slam. The #1 was a joke, should have skipped college and played pros. All of their top guys were 5.5+. But they also had some guys who were definitely in the 4.0-4.5 range. In fact I just looked up one of them and he is USTA 4.0 computer rated. This isn't a top program like a UCLA but almost always ranked and often has some top guys who do pretty well in futures and what not. But I would agree that D1 teams aren't stocked with 4.0 players but that level definitely does exist in the college ranks.

maratsafin5
01-03-2009, 08:15 AM
It's true. I know of a men's team where the #1 guy was in the 6.0/6.5 range (he had a French rating of -2/6) #2 played qualies in a grand slam. The #1 was a joke, should have skipped college and played pros. All of their top guys were 5.5+. But they also had some guys who were definitely in the 4.0-4.5 range. In fact I just looked up one of them and he is USTA 4.0 computer rated. This isn't a top program like a UCLA but almost always ranked and often has some top guys who do pretty well in futures and what not. But I would agree that D1 teams aren't stocked with 4.0 players but that level definitely does exist in the college ranks.

What college?

maratsafin5
01-03-2009, 08:16 AM
In fact, my high school team has maybe 3 4.0's, the rest are 4.5-5.0 excluding me.

Fedace
01-03-2009, 08:23 AM
How is the Academic programs in these colleges ?? is it pretty solid ? which school do you think is better for academics.?

kctennis1005
01-03-2009, 12:15 PM
In fact, my high school team has maybe 3 4.0's, the rest are 4.5-5.0 excluding me.

haha such an inflated sense of self

cmb
01-03-2009, 12:31 PM

Well if he had a French ranking of -2/6 he still does not have much of a chance to go pro successfully. To have a good chance to go pro you need to have a French ranking that is at least -15 and have wins against many -30s and some guys in the top 50.

tennismom42
01-03-2009, 05:12 PM
How is the Academic programs in these colleges ?? is it pretty solid ? which school do you think is better for academics.?
Ugh! You’re going to make me do research on schools my son did NOT chose? Here goes:

UNIVERSITY OF NORTH FLORIDA (Jacksonville, FL)
14,500 students
97% In-state students
57% Women
76% White/Non-Hispanic (hint: they need more ethnic students)
 28% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
 17% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
 18% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
 20% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
 16% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
 1% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49

Most Popular Degrees (after Liberal Arts):
 Business/Marketing: 21%
 Health Professions: 14%
 Education: 11%
 Communications/Journalism: 10%
 Psychology: 9%
 Social Sciences: 6%
 Security and Protective Services: 5%

GEORGIA SOUTHERN (Statesboro, GA)
14,500 students (as well)
95% In-state students
46% Women
45% White/Non-Hispanic
 15% in top 10th of graduating class
 40% in top quarter of graduating class
 71% in top half of graduating class
 12% had h.s. GPA of 3.75 and higher
 14% had h.s. GPA between 3.5 and 3.74
 17% had h.s. GPA between 3.25 and 3.49
 21% had h.s. GPA between 3.0 and 3.24
 27% had h.s. GPA between 2.5 and 2.99
 9% had h.s. GPA between 2.0 and 2.49
Most Popular Majors

For Bachelor's Degrees
 Business/Marketing: 25%
 Education: 13%
 Engineering Technologies: 7%
 Parks And Recreation: 7%
 Communications/Journalism: 6%
 Health Professions: 6%
 Family and Consumer Sciences: 5%

All cited from Collegeboard.com

kashgotmoney
01-03-2009, 05:18 PM
delete.......

Jackie T. Stephens
01-03-2009, 06:26 PM

I'm still 16 in the 11th grade, I have time to become better...

Julieta
01-04-2009, 05:27 AM
Well if he had a French ranking of -2/6 he still does not have much of a chance to go pro successfully. To have a good chance to go pro you need to have a French ranking that is at least -15 and have wins against many -30s and some guys in the top 50.

Yes I would definitely agree with you on that! This player wasn't French and that was the rating I remember, he did beat some top guys but I wasn't there then. I really do think this guy could have had a decent career - not top 10 or anything but high enough to get by. There's more but it would be too much detail for a public message board.

What a great system that is over there by the way.

deddied
01-04-2009, 12:17 PM
I'm here!! I'm in the 11th grade, 4.0 player, I want to be on University of North Florida since I already live down here. It doesn't matter just give me a full scholarship, do you need a number?

You live in jacksonville? If you do, where do you play? I live in jax to.

JMS
01-04-2009, 01:16 PM
Hope his parents have $54,000 per year to put him through Wake Forest. That's what it costs. No scholarship covers it either, so don't even think about it.

Yeah he got a partial scholarship and his parents work there so he already had a HUGE discount.

tennismom42
01-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Yeah he got a partial scholarship and his parents work their so he already had a HUGE discount.
"there" not "their"
Since both his parents work there, that will certainly help with a discount. Plus sounds like he got some of their intelligence. It's a very difficult academic school.

JMS
01-04-2009, 02:42 PM
"there" not "their"
Since both his parents work there, that will certainly help with a discount. Plus sounds like he got some of their intelligence. It's a very difficult academic school.

Haha yeah sorry, been on break from school for 16 days, I am a little slow at the moment:)

And yes I believe it is around a 98% discount? And yes on top of being a soccer player skilled enough to play on a team that won the NCAA title two years ago and made the Final Four this year, he is like top 15 in our graduating class. On top of that he is technically a minority as his whole family is from Argentina.

Coach Carter
01-04-2009, 06:30 PM
I'd be willing to bet that those coaches weren't saying they had oodles of scholarship money for those "American kids"...they just said they'd love to have them. we'd all love to have TOP AMERICAN TALENT roll in.

Coach Carter
01-04-2009, 06:54 PM

at some schools I'd agree with this...a Plano West, New Braunfels, Highland Park...all in Texas have stronger players than that top to bottom (they and many other HS teams could compete as a team on the D1 level and win), but most teenage players don't realize that just looking at the NTRP ratings page and saying "I can do all that" doesn't mean squat. That's why I hate the arbitrary ratings page. the ratings mean nothing because it varies greatly by the area you play in.

tennismom42
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
I'd be willing to bet that those coaches weren't saying they had oodles of scholarship money for those "American kids"...they just said they'd love to have them. we'd all love to have TOP AMERICAN TALENT roll in.
Univ of North Florida's profile on TRN states, "Fall of 2009 - 2 positions, scholarships available."

BullDogTennis
01-04-2009, 07:30 PM

why wouldnt wake forrest give out schollarships?

tennismom42
01-04-2009, 07:56 PM
um, they do.

So as to not confuse you or anyone else with the symantics of my above-statement, do you really think Wake Forest or any place is going to give out a $54,000 scholarship for 4 years?

Scholarships do not pay for everything and it does cost $54,000 per year to go to Wake Forest:
Living Living Commuting, not
on-campus at home living at home
In-state tuition & fees: $36,975 $36,975 $36,975
Out-of-state tuition and fees: $36,975 $36,975 $36,975
Room and board: $9,945 $1,225 $9,945
Books and supplies: $850 $850 $850
Estimated personal expenses: $1,350 $900 $1,350
Transportation expense: $700 $350 $700

Cost per credit hour: $1,517

(cited as per Collegeboard.com)

ClarkC
01-05-2009, 12:11 PM
um, they do.

So as to not confuse you or anyone else with the symantics of my above-statement, do you really think Wake Forest or any place is going to give out a $54,000 scholarship for 4 years?

Semantics, not symantics. In the spirit of "there, not their" from your earlier posting. :)

blue12
01-23-2009, 01:07 AM
well, when I click on my profile it says you can send me an e-mail. I know others have been successful at this. Shoot me an e-mail.

As for why some colleges have a practice for recruiting foreigners, I do not know. If two coaches tell me they can't get Americans to apply, I am there to fix that!

Some coaches/people assume that only good players come from other countries. Personally, I cannot figure out how a college recruiter can compare ITF matches to USTA matches.

Lastly, I know that foreigners do want to come to America to get a college education. Some of them come from really adverse situations. They happen to play tennis, try out, & get on the team. Works for me if they prove themselves.

They come here because they don't have college teams in Europe. Plus tuition is cheaper here.

As for why college coaches want foreigners it is actually pretty simple. Much of the time they are foreigners themselves, also many coaches are able to get recruiting trips to Europe and South America paid for by their Universities!! Plus they don't have to deal with American parents. With a foreign kid chances are the parents don't even speak english and if they do they are so far away that they can't get into the coaches business.
It's really sad that our college tennis teams have become foreign sports clubs! By the way most foreigners who study in the U.S. get their graduate degrees paid for with graduate teaching assistantships. Assistantships that should be going to American students, but American students are forced to compete, of course they are not really competing because the foreign students are already slotted for these assistantships.

AndrewD
01-23-2009, 04:18 AM
Remember, that other kid is ethnic. The USTA is promoting the ethnics, the colleges want them too. Ya just never know what could happen.

What an odd thing to say and what an odd way to say it.

tennismom42
01-23-2009, 05:29 AM
What an odd thing to say and what an odd way to say it.
You're slamming me because I pointed out that higher educational establishments and the USTA promote the sport of tennis to be played by other than white people? I think there's an acronym for it. It's something like URM for under-represented minorities.

10isDad
01-23-2009, 07:29 AM
I have to agree w/ AndrewD from the standpoint that "The USTA is promoting the ethnics" is an odd way to make your point. Probably should have used your acronym up front, because "the ethnics" sounds like you could substitute any number of derogatory and semi-derogatory terms.

Besides, your kid is "ethnic", too, regardless of what you may think. You and his father likely have some European ancestry.

The definition is "Pertaining to race; peculiar to a race or nation"

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
01-23-2009, 08:43 AM
^ TennisMom knows very well the term URM (Under Represented Minority) in it's current use in higher education.

There is a guy named Holder that is coming into the administration as Attorney General who will be happy to explain where the few final tennis scholarships disappeared to after foreigners take thier percentage.

Holder has spent his life working the exact nose counting that will soon take over at every college- He had the LA police devote @ 100 employees to answer Justice Department orders and inquiries.

Basically, there is a new sherriff in town, one that likes a philosophy of aggressive affirmative action (bean counting, set asides whatever you want to call it) in higher education.

By the time they slice more programs in response to all this "equal" opportunity you are pretty much out. The cheese stands alone.

Don't forget this also includes agressive enforcement of some of the more odious parts of Title IX- Did you know Title IX calls for EQUAL representation in the althletic department employees from the AD to each Coaching position? You will.

tennismom42
01-23-2009, 09:13 AM
I have to agree w/ AndrewD from the standpoint that "The USTA is promoting the ethnics" is an odd way to make your point. Probably should have used your acronym up front, because "the ethnics" sounds like you could substitute any number of derogatory and semi-derogatory terms.

Besides, your kid is "ethnic", too, regardless of what you may think. You and his father likely have some European ancestry.

The definition is "Pertaining to race; peculiar to a race or nation"
I guess I had a brain fart. Sometimes I struggle to articulate. I couldn't spell "semantics" either.

Mighty Manfried, I don't know a lot about URM. I just get upset when I see few minorities at the upper level tournaments. I am equally upset when I hear the USTA bypass talented white players to give Wildcards and publicity to non-white players with the pretense of helping them. I think giving the minorities the $$ they need to achieve should be enough. Several times I've seen televised events, with Jrs. take some spotlight & 100% are minorities. That's not an accurate representation of reality. It's nice, but not reality.

and no, I don't have a solution to the disparity. I guess progress is slow.

01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
The USTA as a private concern can spread their money around anyway they so diecide... They will tell you the Junior Programs are paid with US OPEN profits, not membership fees- The only thing funnier than their Junior Development programs is their "outreach" programs to URMs.

I am sure I would have taken N.Y. Headquarters to the cleaners with an application for their totally subsidized tournament programs, they are so eager to find "blacks with backhands". I guess I just think a lot more of merit than some.

........But that isn't procluding me from cashing in on the new BO nation when it comes to college costs.
If Santa opens his bag and says "Jump in" just who am I to not acknowledge these institutional corrective actions to historical racism? (I said on my way to the Lexus dealer with the original college savings).

tennismom42
01-23-2009, 11:47 AM
The USTA as a private concern can spread their money around anyway they so diecide... They will tell you the Junior Programs are paid with US OPEN profits, not membership fees- The only thing funnier than their Junior Development programs is their "outreach" programs to URMs.

I am sure I would have taken N.Y. Headquarters to the cleaners with an application for their totally subsidized tournament programs, they are so eager to find "blacks with backhands". I guess I just think a lot more of merit than some.

........But that isn't procluding me from cashing in on the new BO nation when it comes to college costs.
If Santa opens his bag and says "Jump in" just who am I to not acknowledge these institutional corrective actions to historical racism? (I said on my way to the Lexus dealer with the original college savings).
Are you familiar with the player development grant? I showed that to my son recently. He wants to aim for that. Are you saying that if he reaches the criteria (merit), he still won't get it because he's white?

Dave Mc
01-23-2009, 12:06 PM
My son was nationally ranked inside the top 200 when he sent very good letters to Buberman of North FL, Cashman of Central FL, and Barr of South FL. He never got a response from any of those coaches, even though he did get the responses he wanted from many other DI and DII coaches across the US. Judging by the number of foreigners on those teams, we just assumed that you need to be inside the top 100 or perhaps 50 to get any reponse from those 3 programs.

01-23-2009, 12:08 PM
Look on the USTA site for the "outreach" and "multicultural" scholarships and grants, your son may certainly APPLY.

For instance, the page concerning how he best exemplifies Athea Gibson's ideals, traits and determination in tennis (for that particular leadership grant application) would make interesting reading for the panel making that grant determination.

If you are trying to make some kind of statement about awarding these particular grants from the USTA on merit, well, maybe they are.

junbug
01-25-2009, 08:59 AM
you have to be a 5.0 or over to get in at D 1 school. try a D 2 school or JC

blue12
01-25-2009, 12:03 PM
It's all about the recruiting trips coaches get to Europe. Bottom line!

goober
01-26-2009, 08:02 AM
um, they do.

D1 basketball in the ACC- yes.

D1 tennis- uh.. no.

10isDad
01-26-2009, 08:41 AM
It's all about the recruiting trips coaches get to Europe. Bottom line!

I've talked to multiple coaches who have had foreign students come in sight unseen except for perhaps a video. The comment they've all had, in one form or another is "we're not sure how good they are yet."

Maybe some of the very top echelon coaches take recruiting trips to Europe, but I know of a minimum of 4 schools where that's not the case. They're relying on reputation, ranking, videos, word of mouth, etc.

blue12
02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
I've talked to multiple coaches who have had foreign students come in sight unseen except for perhaps a video. The comment they've all had, in one form or another is "we're not sure how good they are yet."

Maybe some of the very top echelon coaches take recruiting trips to Europe, but I know of a minimum of 4 schools where that's not the case. They're relying on reputation, ranking, videos, word of mouth, etc.

No I'm talking about D1 schools in the southeast that are nowhere near top echelon, schools that don't even have winning records even with all the foreign players. What a joke!
I'm sorry I've seen it with my own eyes!

Prostaffer
10-25-2009, 12:36 AM
i played college tennis...we played schools in and out of our division.

d-1- no one is below a 5.5

d-2 - you might get one or two on the team or in the lineup that are lower than that

then again it also depends on how small the school is and how bad the program is. i'll never say never, but it would be hard for me to fathom a 5.0 on a d-1 team.