PDA

View Full Version : Grip between shots

ryanhoku
01-02-2009, 10:08 PM
I normally hold my backhand grip (continental) as I await my opponents shot. If the ball is hit to my forehand I rotate the racquet so my grip is SW. After I hit my forehand my hand naturally rotates back to my backhand grip. My son used to use the same right hand grip (extreme eastern) to hit both is forehand and 2hbh. He has recently changed his forehand grip to SW. He holds this grip as he awaits his opponents shot then changes to his backhand grip when required. He also rotates is hand instead of the racquet. As expected he is having problems changing grips between his backhand and forehand since this conversion has only been for 3 weeks. Also he is considering changing his right hand grip on his 2hbh to continental. Is there any correct or preferred grip that should be held between shots and should he rotate his racquet or his hand?

Thanks

Rod

Rickson
01-02-2009, 10:21 PM
The sw fh grip sounds like the perfect grip for waiting in between shots.

DJG
01-02-2009, 11:13 PM
Whatever he feels comfortable with. I don't think there is any right or wrong here. If the switch from sw to bh grip is the fastest, it would make sense. If the switch from BH to FH grip is the fastest, that would make sense as well :)

baseline08thrasher
01-02-2009, 11:36 PM
I use the semi western as my forehand grip
So i get the best of both worlds.

kelz
01-03-2009, 01:29 AM
Inbetween shots I leave my grip as semi-western forehand.

fuzz nation
01-03-2009, 06:55 AM
I agree that there's no right or wrong. I used to go to a neutral grip in the neighborhood of continental when between shots, but it occurred to me that in that situation, I need to change to a fh or bh grip no matter what (unless I hit a slice bh). What I experimented with in my rallies was after I'd hit let's say a good 1hbh, I'd keep my grip right there in case I needed to hit another one on the next shot - this seemed rather reasonable for a cross-court exchange. It gave me a little more confidence already having the grip for a shot that I just hit really well. I like doing this more with my bh than my fh, maybe because it takes an extra split-second to execute a good one hander.

AznHylite
01-03-2009, 11:41 AM
I prefer waiting in my forehand grip. Feels the most natural.

Ballinbob
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
i return with a continental. I hate switching grips so I trained myself to kind of punch back my returns (like a volley almost). I try and take the ball early and block the back deep. Yeah thats what I try to do, but my return still sucks. I think continental is a good choice though for an inbetween grip because its close to all the other grips so it wont be too hard to switch. I would go with that if I were you

Lotto
01-03-2009, 12:25 PM
I always wait with a continental. I swear by it. It's pretty easy to switch unless the balls powered at your feet, lol, then all ya can do is "flick" it back with the continental.

Seriously though, good grip.

westside
01-03-2009, 07:38 PM
I use my forehand grip when playing doubles (I always play on the forehand side)

However, i use continental in singles. Just makes it easier swapping between shots

ryanhoku
01-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Thanks for all your replies. Since it seems to be a personal preference as to which grip to hold between shots I will let my son figure out what is best for him.

Rod