PDA

View Full Version : To lift or not to lift ; THAT IS THE QUESTION?

Farz77
01-03-2009, 11:14 AM
I have heard diverse answers about whether to lift from the knees on the 1hbh or just stay with your knees bent. I personally think that lifting imparts more spin on the ball since the angle at which your racket accelerates upwards in bigger. Anyway, if anyone can post any vids where it is clear that pros do either,or, that would be great. Also your opinions would be greatly appreciated as well.

gastro54
01-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Exact same question:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=235284

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-03-2009, 01:03 PM
This was discussed, it depends on the situation, a low ball is usually struck and the player stays low, whereas a high ball with be followed through with the toes.

LeeD
01-03-2009, 03:04 PM
Yeah, lift when you want to exagerate the topspin, especially on knee to shoulder high balls.
That appears to be the new style....tons of top at the expense of pace.
Needs some energy expenditure to, so you'll be forced to get in shape.

mistapooh
01-03-2009, 03:54 PM
I never read that discussion, but I lift and get on my toes because it helps me time my weight transfer.

BullDogTennis
01-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Lift! Lift! Lift!

Farz77
01-04-2009, 10:38 AM
Lift! Lift! Lift!

Every shot?

jasoncho92
01-04-2009, 02:10 PM
I have a hard time believing that a 5.5 would have to ask this question. Rofl

1st Seed
01-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Youzny Has it down.Emulate his backhand. head up, front foot with your weight, and yes lift.

1st Seed
01-04-2009, 02:21 PM

I 5.5 should be teaching 1HBH

LeeD
01-04-2009, 02:56 PM
I think even 5.5's can work on their strokes, if they want to change it or get to another level.
Some tennis players can hide a flaw in their stroke repetoire really well, and it doesn't become exposed until they play better players consistently.
NEVER EVERY.
Every shot is different. If you want to drive the ball for a clean winner, lift is not needed.
If you want to hit exagerated topspin, lift can help, but GuilermoVilas never lifted, nor did Borg.
First thing that goes in good level tennis is your big quads. When that goes, you're late reacting, you don't hit consistent serves, your shots start to mishit, you don't bend for low balls or adaquately get up for high balls.
I say....say those quads for the fetch and the positioning, and try to hit using as little energy as possible.
I'm old, you are young, we need to play a different style, eh?

BullDogTennis
01-04-2009, 07:23 PM
Every shot?

yes. unless the ball is like high, and lifting is just out of the question. or like a volley. go watch federer. unless the ball is like a beautiful spot waist high, or wherever you love to hit it, yes id lift. it leaves a LOT of margin for error. add spin, helps hit deep.

its not only a lift though. you've got to be shifting weight at the same time. lift and shift weight at the same time.

RestockingTues
01-04-2009, 07:59 PM
Ouch... Megawhooped Farz77 :lol:

LeeD
01-05-2009, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I see a lot of Nationally ranked Juniors with a high amount of leg straightening to enhance the topspin shots.
Both sides.
Then I look at the current pros, and almost NONE of them expend their energy lifting the whole body with their quads.
Yesterday hit with #2 for Harvard. He lifted on some topspin backhands, but for forehands topped or plain ole 100mph, his torso stayed level and supported by bent knees driving forwards, not up, and torso twist, generated a fair amount to the shot.
Day before, I watched and served to a couple of Nationally ranked girls 18's, fresh from the Nationals in Arizona or whereever.
Both lost before the 4th round. Both said they got tired. Both lifted on almost every groundstroke....almost. On shoulder high balls, both would plant slightly closed stanced, racket high, and TWIST torso into a very flat looking topspun ball with a "POP" neither could achieve with their first serves.

LeeD
01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I see a lot of Nationally ranked Juniors with a high amount of leg straightening to enhance the topspin shots.
Both sides.
Then I look at the current pros, and almost NONE of them expend their energy lifting the whole body with their quads.
Yesterday hit with #2 for Harvard. He lifted on some topspin backhands, but for forehands topped or plain ole 100mph, his torso stayed level and supported by bent knees driving forwards, not up, and torso twist, generated a fair amount to the shot.
Day before, I watched and served to a couple of Nationally ranked girls 18's, fresh from the Nationals in Arizona or whereever.
Both lost before the 4th round. Both said they got tired. Both lifted on almost every groundstroke....almost. On shoulder high balls, both would plant slightly closed stanced, racket high, and TWIST torso into a very flat looking topspun ball with a "POP" neither could achieve with their first serves.
I suspect you can hit thru your knees OR you could hit with your upper body, it's more your style than anything "correct" or incorrect.