PDA

View Full Version : Pros: Rise on forehands to bring contact point waist height?

Farz77
01-03-2009, 12:19 PM
Do the pros rise in the air to make their contact point around waist height instead of hitting shoulder height? My coach has told me that pros move around, either foward or backward in order to get that contact point waist height? I like to move forward (hit on the rise) but you can get a more penetrating shot if you wait for it and load your legs and start that kinetic chain and, rise above the ground and rip that ball at usual or just a tiny bit higher contact point. I am mostly refering to Federer since with his Extreme Eastern grip his natural contact point is lower, and so is mine. All answers, videos, and sites appreciated.
Thanks

Djokovicfan4life
01-03-2009, 12:24 PM
Yeah, I think your coach is right about that one. Unfortunately most players think that this means that they're supposed to jump on every shot when this is not the case.

Farz77
01-03-2009, 12:30 PM
Yeah, I think your coach is right about that one. Unfortunately most players think that this means that they're supposed to jump on every shot when this is not the case.

So true!! But on those high balls, do you think in your opinion that the pros' intentions are to change that contact point?

Djokovicfan4life
01-03-2009, 12:31 PM
So true!! But on those high balls, do you think in your opinion that the pros' intentions are to change that contact point?

Yes, I believe so.

Kevo
01-03-2009, 03:29 PM
I think it really depends on the situation and the player. I don't think you want to be hitting balls shoulder high all day long, but if you can get one shoulder high at the baseline that's a ball you can hit winners off of.

So the answer is it depends. If the ball is bouncing just inside the baseline and you're hitting it shoulder high, then your opponent probably has the advantage and is about ready to force the point. So depending on your court position it could be good or bad to be hitting a shoulder high ball.