PDA

View Full Version : Haas/Mirnyi Spoiler

USCfan
02-20-2005, 06:07 PM
What was wrong with Haas? I assume he was injured, but I didn't catch what it was. His movement was definitely hampered.
How about match point? That was pretty neat... I was sure the ball hit the tape...what a way to end it.
I also heard the commentators say something like this was the 1st time in 8 tries that Mirnyi beat Haas. Hmmm, sounds familiar, I recently did something similar. I hope the trend continues for both me and "the beast."

@wright
02-20-2005, 06:45 PM
I don't know what Haas' deal was that day. He came out and hit 30 minutes before the match, and he was hitting lots of balls long. Maybe he was injured, but his gameplan didn't seem good at all. He wasn't playing within himself, and was not letting Mirny makes errors from the backcourt. He was very irritable out there too, which isn't unusual for him.

goober
02-20-2005, 06:57 PM
Well he can take out his frustrations on Donald Young who he is scheduled to play in the first round in Scottsdale.

USCfan
02-20-2005, 08:22 PM
It might have been something with his back... or maybe his dumb ponytail was weighing him down.

bpt7
02-20-2005, 08:28 PM
does anyone have this match on dvd/tape? I'd love to see it. My email is bpt7@hotmail.com

goober
02-20-2005, 08:51 PM
They interviewed his coach and he pretty much said that Haas had a complete mental meltdown. Seemed pretty accurate to me. He had a back injury from the SAP open but nobody seemed to indicate that anything was wrong. Certainly I think haas would have withdrawn from the tourney if he was still injured.

@wright
02-21-2005, 06:32 AM
You don't want to see this match, I promise. It's not worth it. THe Carlsen/Mirnyi final was a much better match.

USCfan
02-21-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree. If Haas had been moving better, it might have been interesting. The only point I think is worth watching again is match point, when Haas blsted a backhand through the net. It appeared, at first, to hit the tape, but replays showed it went through the net.

radical tourist
02-22-2005, 07:50 AM
Haas noted it wasn't an excuse but said it was the first time he'd played a morning semifinal. So he's not a morning person.