PDA

View Full Version : 5.5 strokes

Noaler
01-04-2009, 03:44 PM
How do you hit those 5.0 strokes? I can do it with backhand no problem, but forehand is a issue... Its almost there, but not quite yet.

TheOverlord
01-04-2009, 03:51 PM
think of putting pure topspin on the ball and making your arm as fluid as possible and think of whipping the ball with the tip of your racket frame. if you sweep it and do the motion right the ball will actually go faster and be more consistent, and from there you can get the feel of a more driving type of shot or a high over the net, high topspin shot. if you feel an instantaneous snap sensation when you make contact you are doing something right. this is just a suggestion you could try out once

LeeD
01-04-2009, 04:02 PM
Most any combination of stroke works for 5.5 or higher.
You just gotta hit consistently deep within 3' of the baseline, you can place it within 2' of either sideline, you can jam the body, and you can vary the spin and pace.
Mecir had what's now considered a fundamentally bad forehand and sidespun two handed backhands.
McEnroe's strokes were so remedial you'd think he was a 4.0 player, ....until you see how he handles the big shots from other top pros.
Connors would basically sidespin most of his shots.
They played OK.
And Bartoli's two handed shots, off both wings.
And Dementieva's serve.....
Strokes can only take you to about high level 4.5. After that, all the other things starting inside your head determines how good you can actually play.

TheOverlord
01-04-2009, 04:17 PM
Most any combination of stroke works for 5.5 or higher.
You just gotta hit consistently deep within 3' of the baseline, you can place it within 2' of either sideline, you can jam the body, and you can vary the spin and pace.
Mecir had what's now considered a fundamentally bad forehand and sidespun two handed backhands.
McEnroe's strokes were so remedial you'd think he was a 4.0 player, ....until you see how he handles the big shots from other top pros.
Connors would basically sidespin most of his shots.
They played OK.
And Bartoli's two handed shots, off both wings.
And Dementieva's serve.....
Strokes can only take you to about high level 4.5. After that, all the other things starting inside your head determines how good you can actually play.

that is true, in the end it is all about ball control. a 5.5 player will be able to control the ball at his/her own will with seemingly less effort more than other players. BUT, remember that the racquets used today are not the same as ones used decades ago and to have only a slower forehand like mcenroe would be disadvantageous

LeeD
01-04-2009, 04:34 PM
I agree for sure, we should aspire to hit a stronger ball than McEnroe.
OTOH, he would beat any current 5-5.5 player, maybe as much as 2 and 2 if he was motivated to play such.
So, given we don't have his volley OR his serve, but we can hit our serves faster, even with his remedial forehand and backhand, it's good enough for the stated 5-5.5 level.
Wierd, twisted, and convoluted, if I had Mac's groundies, I'd be easy 5.5.

Okazaki Fragment
01-04-2009, 06:39 PM
I agree for sure, we should aspire to hit a stronger ball than McEnroe.
OTOH, he would beat any current 5-5.5 player, maybe as much as 2 and 2 if he was motivated to play such.
So, given we don't have his volley OR his serve, but we can hit our serves faster, even with his remedial forehand and backhand, it's good enough for the stated 5-5.5 level.
Wierd, twisted, and convoluted, if I had Mac's groundies, I'd be easy 5.5.

Ha! Poor McEnroe. His ugly tennis style gets no respect.

ssjkyle31
01-04-2009, 07:07 PM
That ugly tennis still works even today. He even beats some of the younger players in the senior series.

Noaler
01-05-2009, 04:45 AM

Haha, I think I just played a player like McEnroe yesterday. I don't think he ever missed my first serve, but he shanked it once and still landed near the baseline. Most tiring match I had.

150mph_
01-05-2009, 04:50 AM
practice A LOT hitting with better players... get your *** beat like nothing before then... after awhile you will get better

Djokovicfan4life
01-05-2009, 04:56 AM
How do you hit those 5.0 strokes? I can do it with backhand no problem, but forehand is a issue... Its almost there, but not quite yet.

Is this post a joke? You're asking how to hit like a 5.0 level player, and practicing didn't come to mind? Really?

To become a 5.0+ player you need a ton of practice and preferably some great coaching along the way. There are no shortcuts to this level of tennis.

Noaler
01-05-2009, 05:12 AM
Is this post a joke? You're asking how to hit like a 5.0 level player, and practicing didn't come to mind? Really?

To become a 5.0+ player you need a ton of practice and preferably some great coaching along the way. There are no shortcuts to this level of tennis.

Nah, I practice at 5-4 days per week but sometimes I think they don't even help if I don't know how to change. But I sorta think I have my forehand style a bit wrong and my parents won't go for private lessons. i'm in group lesson. Backhand is solid and I just changed it up a bit and I had a stronger backhand instantly and that goes in almost every time! It only works on medium paced balls though so I have some work on it:).

Maybe not 5.0 strokes or whatever but stronger strokes.

Djokovicfan4life
01-05-2009, 05:17 AM
Nah, I practice at 5-4 days per week but sometimes I think they don't even help if I don't know how to change. But I sorta think I have my forehand style a bit wrong and my parents won't go for private lessons. i'm in group lesson. Backhand is solid and I just changed it up a bit and I had a stronger backhand instantly and that goes in almost every time! It only works on medium paced balls though so I have some work on it:).

Maybe not 5.0 strokes or whatever but stronger strokes.

How old are you? Are you old enough to get a job and maybe pay for some lessons yourself?

Noaler
01-05-2009, 05:21 AM
How old are you? Are you old enough to get a job and maybe pay for some lessons yourself?

Umm no, 13 years old lol

Djokovicfan4life
01-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Umm no, 13 years old lol

This is going to sound a little dorky, but perhaps a paper route might interest you?

caseyguy59
01-05-2009, 05:25 AM
Haha no shortcuts to this level of play, sounds like a direct quote from nick bolletterri.

Djokovicfan4life
01-05-2009, 05:32 AM
Haha no shortcuts to this level of play, sounds like a direct quote from nick bolletterri.

Yeah, I guess I took his post a little too literally, but I think that posting a thread about "how to hit 5.0 strokes" when all he's looking for really is stronger strokes is a little silly.

Noaler
01-05-2009, 05:38 AM
This is going to sound a little dorky, but perhaps a paper route might interest you?

Money's not a issue, my parents don't want my grades falling from having too much activities. I already play two sports and then I have this extra class.

LeeD
01-05-2009, 10:07 AM
If you don't have $$$$$.....
Watch high level tennis.
Look at Federer's forehand. Look at Nadal's. Copy and do.

Djokovicfan4life
01-05-2009, 12:18 PM
If you don't have $$$$$.....
Watch high level tennis.
Look at Federer's forehand. Look at Nadal's. Copy and do.

This is a very bad idea because the pros do many things that are misinterpreted by the naked eye. Many people try to copy the pros and end up doing crazy things like "snapping their wrist" on forehands. The OP would probably develop more bad habits than good ones by attempting to copy the pros.

LeeD
01-05-2009, 12:41 PM
IF you didn't have $$$$$ is the operative statement!
With no money, you get no good coaching.
I didn't have coaching, but my practice partners all played for highschools, Junior colleges, and lots of A local players would invite me for a hit when their partners showed late or didn't.
Almost NO B players asked me to practice with them.
The whole Louie (Pea and Marcie WON some Pro events) family practiced with me, but I got no coaching from Mom.
A couple of A women's practiced with me when they could get to SF (SusanBrown and DanaGilbert), but the local A never gave me the time of day (ArleneCohen).
My second year, I hit regularly with CeciMartinez, a top 50 womens just retired Pro. She lived next door to the Dupont courts where I'd hang around from 10 -5. Never got coaching from any of them....at least not in tennis.
If you got no money for coach's, then you gotta find a way to get the correct strokes.
My way was to watch how the better players held the racket, how they stroked the ball, how they moved (or didn't/couldn't), and throw in what I already knew about basic sports.
Sure, it never got me to Pro level, or even higher than a true 4.5 ranking, but it's better than starting off with a deep knee extention or a forehand side of continental serve.

schwuller
01-10-2009, 03:28 PM
i am surprised that no one else here has mentioned it, but my answer is FOOTWORk - POSTITIONING, MOVEMENT.
the first step in being able to hit a 5.0 - 6.0 stroke is being quickly and reliably in a position that will allow you to athletically receive the ball.

tennisfreak15347
01-10-2009, 03:49 PM
so you have a "5.0" backhand? are you saying that your backhand is as good as a D1 college player's?

Noaler
01-10-2009, 03:59 PM
No, just stronger strokes, or as strong but prolly not as flexible in fact very unflexible