PDA

View Full Version : Tournament play (registration)- most likely a dumb question

OhDear
01-04-2009, 04:48 PM
I'm probably putting this in the wrong place but...
Anyways, I've been trying to enter some USTA tournaments, mostly because I want to find my NTRP in a legitimate manner. But I've read how people enter 4.5 NTRP tournaments, and yet I can't find a single tournament like that on the USTA website. For some reason, in the GA sectional, tournaments are divided in a different way. Instead of 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, etc. I keep seeing GA Level 4, GA Level 5, and on occasion Level III (point value here). What's up with this, can I get some help?

LeeD
01-04-2009, 05:08 PM
First of all, most players who don't have an idea of the ratings, never played tournaments, will get slaughtered in 4.0 tournaments, usually first round.
So set your sights a little lower.
If you think you have 4.5 strokes, enter a 3.5 tournament and win it. Surprise surprise, you'll probably lose by the 3rd round.
Guys who get to finals of 4.5 can play competitively in OPEN class if they have strong strokes or unusual but consistent strokes. But they ultimately can only go 3 rounds if they're lucky.
And don't be surprised if some 3.0 pusher beats you.

Okazaki Fragment
01-04-2009, 05:21 PM
I'm probably putting this in the wrong place but...
Anyways, I've been trying to enter some USTA tournaments, mostly because I want to find my NTRP in a legitimate manner. But I've read how people enter 4.5 NTRP tournaments, and yet I can't find a single tournament like that on the USTA website. For some reason, in the GA sectional, tournaments are divided in a different way. Instead of 2.5, 3.0, 3.5, 4.0, etc. I keep seeing GA Level 4, GA Level 5, and on occasion Level III (point value here). What's up with this, can I get some help?

Level 4, Level 5? Isn't that Junior Tournaments? NTRP levels are for Adult Tournaments.

Here's a NTRP in Macon, GA.
http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=64013

Divisions: Ranked: NMW(2.5-5.0)s means Mens and Women's 2.5 NTRP to 5.0 NTRP singles. Be sure the check the "Applicants" link under tournament home to make sure there are enough people playing in your desired NTRP range.

OhDear
01-04-2009, 05:24 PM
First of all, most players who don't have an idea of the ratings, never played tournaments, will get slaughtered in 4.0 tournaments, usually first round.
So set your sights a little lower.
If you think you have 4.5 strokes, enter a 3.5 tournament and win it. Surprise surprise, you'll probably lose by the 3rd round.
Guys who get to finals of 4.5 can play competitively in OPEN class if they have strong strokes or unusual but consistent strokes. But they ultimately can only go 3 rounds if they're lucky.
And don't be surprised if some 3.0 pusher beats you.

Well I never was goin to enter a 4.5 tournament, I was actually trying to look up a 3.5 tournament, just happens that what popped up on the search results were GA Level 4 tourneys, GA Level 5, GA Level 3. But I couldn't find a 3.5 anywhere, hence the post.

OhDear
01-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Level 4, Level 5? Isn't that Junior Tournaments? NTRP levels are for Adult Tournaments.

Here's a NTRP in Macon, GA.
http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=64013

Divisions: Ranked: NMW(2.5-5.0)s means Mens and Women's 2.5 NTRP to 5.0 NTRP singles. Be sure the check the "Applicants" link under tournament home to make sure there are enough people playing in your desired NTRP range.

So my question here is, does Level III correspond to a NTRP 3.0?

Okazaki Fragment
01-04-2009, 05:28 PM
So my question here is, does Level III correspond to a NTRP 3.0?

Ah, I see now. No, it does not. I think you just win 150 points if you win the tournament. There are 2.5 to 5.0 NTRPs playing in that tournament (each in separate draws, of course). For example, there are 3 people signed up right now to play in NTRP 4.0 singles.

http://tennislink.usta.com/tournaments/tournamenthome/Players.aspx?T=64013&L=E&E=4

OhDear
01-04-2009, 05:31 PM
So what in the world does Level III mean? I have no idea why they rank tournaments this way. So, if I win in my NTRP draw (which I can choose and sign up for?), I get 150 points added to my rank.

Mada
01-04-2009, 05:32 PM
Do not enter a L3 if it's your first tournament.