PDA

View Full Version : Tryouts in exactly 4 weeks...ugh...

KBlade
01-04-2009, 05:11 PM
I feel like I'm cramming for a test the night before. I'm not really sure what I should be doing to prepare.

I started jogging about 5 -7 miles per day because it makes me FEEL significantly better. I feel mentally stronger, and that really helps when I play. I'm going to continue doing it. The fact is, I KNOW I can beat most of the guys trying out. I've seen them play. I've beat them, but I also lost to them.

My confidence is like a roller-coaster. It can be very low and I'll get nowhere, or it can be high and I'll play pretty damn good. On few occasions I get myself psyched into a "total focus" mode, where I play consistently and think only about the ball, my feet are constantly moving. My only goal is to leave the court as a winner, and I'm simply furious (in a good tennis-related way). This doesn't happen too frequently though, how do I bring out the aggression more often?

However, I'm sure that during try-outs I'll choke, self-doubt will sink...

Gah. I'll be playing many pushers, and I do terrible against them. I like the guys who hit medium to fast pace better.

All I can do now is continue running to build my confidence up, work on consistency, and work on my decent/inconsistent flat serve.

I don't know. What can you guys tell me?

Mada
01-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Your tryouts are in 4 weeks? It's not spring for a while though..

KBlade
01-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Yup. First week of February.

OhDear
01-04-2009, 05:22 PM
Wow, lucky, my tryouts are in 15 days.
I've been working on drills with partners, by myself, etc.
If you want some just let me know.
I wouldn't run 5-7 miles a day by the way, seems like too much stress on the joints before tryouts, I wouldn't want to burn my knees out, I'd work more on agility and speed, try some speed ladders, suicides, cone drills.

LeeD
01-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Hope you live in California or somewhere South.
We can play 5 days a week outdoors.
But welcome to reality.
You're judged by your performance.
If you audition lousy, you'll be rated lousy.
If you audition great, you'll be judged to be a good player.
That's how it's always going to be as long as you live.
Hope it works out, but water always seeks it's own level.

Headshotterer
01-04-2009, 05:27 PM
my tryouts are also soon
ive been preparing since summer, but i still may not make it anways

TheOverlord
01-04-2009, 05:28 PM
What I can tell (or suggest, take the advice or leave it) you is that you should cut down that 5-7 mile run to more like 2 miles at most. You need to work on explosive movements, and to be short the best way is to hit it hard against the wall (try to hit it harder and harder) and maintain rallies between 8-20 balls. You'll barely be able to last more than 10 min at first but bring plenty of fluids with you and after a 2 weeks you'll see a big difference in your power. also, mix in some slow balls in there to get a better touch with the racquet

TheOverlord
01-04-2009, 05:29 PM
and by best i mean cheapest

KBlade
01-04-2009, 05:33 PM
What I can tell (or suggest, take the advice or leave it) you is that you should cut down that 5-7 mile run to more like 2 miles at most. You need to work on explosive movements, and to be short the best way is to hit it hard against the wall (try to hit it harder and harder) and maintain rallies between 8-20 balls. You'll barely be able to last more than 10 min at first but bring plenty of fluids with you and after a 2 weeks you'll see a big difference in your power. also, mix in some slow balls in there to get a better touch with the racquet

I think its funny that you tell me to play against a wall, because that's all I do :)
I'll try to perform wall drills or something. My power is pretty good, actually. I just need to hit CONSISTENTLY hard. That's the object.

Mada
01-04-2009, 05:34 PM
My tryouts aren't for a while.....Odd. o.O

TheOverlord
01-04-2009, 05:39 PM
I think its funny that you tell me to play against a wall, because that's all I do :)
I'll try to perform wall drills or something. My power is pretty good, actually. I just need to hit CONSISTENTLY hard. That's the object.

but do you play against the wall as if you were tying to beat it? its a simple way to really test yourself and push yourself higher if you really want to achieve and dream of success...hit the ball like there is no tomorrow and chase down every ball to see if you you can get over 20 in a row

LeeD
01-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Why do you mostly hit the wall.
The wall can't tell you the depth you're hitting.
You know where the ball goes after you hit it. When you play an opponent, you don't know where he's hitting.
Early prep and footwork is half the battle.
But maybe it's winter where you live, and practice partners are all in hibernation.
Hope you do well.
And run your distance ONCE a week, but do the explosive stuff twice or three days a week.

KBlade
01-04-2009, 05:47 PM
but do you play against the wall as if you were tying to beat it? its a simple way to really test yourself and push yourself higher if you really want to achieve and dream of success...hit the ball like there is no tomorrow and chase down every ball to see if you you can get over 20 in a row

I try to knock the wall down, pretty much.

You know where the ball goes after you hit it. When you play an opponent, you don't know where he's hitting.
But maybe it's winter where you live, and practice partners are all in hibernation.
Hope you do well.
And run your distance ONCE a week, but do the explosive stuff twice or three days a week.

Everybody is busy with school, college applications, whatever. Hitting partners are hard to come-by. If anything playing against a wall somewhat helped my reflexes, because the ball is coming back towards me much faster. Still, I know what you mean.

TheOverlord
01-04-2009, 05:52 PM
Hope you do well.

The power you're getting from hitting against the wall hard translates to spin power if you adjust and practice on court a little after a few wall sessions.

LeeD
01-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Oh sorry.
I wasn't questioning hitting the wall.
I was questioning why hit the wall every practice without ever hitting with a real person on a real court.
I live in "sunny" California, so we can play outdoors 5 days a week, adjust our location to the level we need, and still have plenty of walls for practice.

BullDogTennis
01-04-2009, 06:03 PM
do chill, you'll be fine. what grade are you in? and find some music that will get you going. idk what kind. anything from some metallica, KillSwitch Engage, ACDC, Jonas Brothers(God i hope not) but whatever gets you into a good mindset.

i know i live in TN, and its either 30 degrees outside, or 50 degrees raining. we have some sucky weather.