PDA

View Full Version : Return hard crosscourt shots to backhand

Headshotterer
01-04-2009, 07:00 PM
If someone runs around the backhand or if you are playing a lefty and they hit a really hard, fast, flat, angled shot to the backhand, what is the best way to return it
I usually dont contact the ball so its a winner or I dont reach it in time

LeeD
01-04-2009, 07:36 PM
You can say ..."nice shot" and be a sportsman.
Or you can stretch to a defensive sliced backhand or even forehand, if it's that forcing a shot.
A lob would be harder to time.
Don't think you have the time to hit a groundie.

Ballinbob
01-04-2009, 07:48 PM
Not much you can do. Try and block it back if you can I guess, but it sounds like a winner shot to me. Try and not get yourself into this situation, thats my advice

GeorgeLucas
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Not much you can do. Try and block it back if you can I guess, but it sounds like a winner shot to me. Try and not get yourself into this situation, thats my advice

That's probably spot on. Don't let him get into a position to make that kind of attacking shot. If he does make it open the racquet face and hit a high, floaty slice to give yourself more time to recover. Oh, and if you're a super player, you can topspin drive it into the forehand court (which will be wide open since they ran around their backhand)

BeHappy
01-04-2009, 08:02 PM

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/e/e5/DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.jpg

To the OP: If you don't have time to make a full swing-block it back, if you do have time to make a full swing hit it back down the middle with as much topspin as humanly possible.

Ballinbob
01-04-2009, 08:05 PM
BeHappy can I ask what's wrong with my advice?

David
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
this is why there are some kinds of shots called "winner" in tennis. like the other guys said, the best way is to do not give your opponent the chance to make this kind of shot!