PDA

View Full Version : Questionnaire vs Email To college coaches

jamesbond4
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Hi guys.
I am in the recruiting process and I was wondering what you guys think is more effective, sending a personalized email to the coach, or filling out questionnaire that many schools have on their website?

Also to those that have written emails. How do you compose your email and what content do you put in them?

thanks in advance.

eeytennis
01-05-2009, 05:30 AM
I would advise you to do both but the e-mail is definitely more effective. If you fill out the questionnaire and send the coach and e-mail the coach can get a lot more information on you than if you just filled out the questionnaire. Not filling out the questionnaire and just e-mailing the coach comes across as a bit arrogant...like you don't have time or your too good for the questionnaire. Besides, the questionnaire offers up a lot of helpful, basic information for the coach to refer to.

In the e-mail, just say something to the extent of, hi, I am interested in playing for the *insert college* tennis team, i would like to know a little bit more about the tea, blah, blah, etc. Or something to that extent.

tennismom42
01-05-2009, 06:35 AM
Hi guys.
I am in the recruiting process and I was wondering what you guys think is more effective, sending a personalized email to the coach, or filling out questionnaire that many schools have on their website?

Also to those that have written emails. How do you compose your email and what content do you put in them?

thanks in advance.
I'd say use both too. Furthermore, follow it up with a timely telephone call. As in, call the coach about 2-3 days after you did the latter (questionnaire or e-mail).

If you want, I'll send you the letter my son used, in template format. But you'll have to go back into your profile set up & click on the box that says "OK to receive e-mails from other users." Then let me know.

It's a good letter. A recruiter said they wanted to use it in their book.

Good luck

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
01-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Here's a choice that has not been mentioned, that may be a little more sucessful.... I hate giving away all my secrets, BUT-
How about a short WRITTEN LETTER, maybe even HAND WRITTEN mailed along with the questionare?

Maybe that is very, very "old fashioned" But don't you think that a coach would be better impressed with a player who would think enough to actually write a unique and individual appeal?

Mass mailers where you stick a school's (NAME) and Coache's (NAME) and whip it out in EMAIL format does not impress me.
You want a coach to stop and say..."Hey, look at this", right? What's going to make the coach OR his staff even stop and look?
(I'm talking to "on the bubble" posters here- Not ones being recruited).

The questionare takes care of your "application" But a letter that mentions FACTS about a team- The players, last year's big successful meet- All these "small" points- A little homework can show a coach you actually know something about his program, and that you can write a complete sentence.

Here's a question that may shed some light on my suggestion-
When you get this mass mailer crap in your mailbox from schools, how impressed are you? Exactly.

tennismom42
01-05-2009, 10:24 AM
Here's a choice that has not been mentioned, that may be a little more sucessful.... I hate giving away all my secrets, BUT-
How about a short WRITTEN LETTER, maybe even HAND WRITTEN mailed along with the questionare?

Maybe that is very, very "old fashioned" But don't you think that a coach would be better impressed with a player who would think enough to actually write a unique and individual appeal?

Mass mailers where you stick a school's (NAME) and Coache's (NAME) and whip it out in EMAIL format does not impress me.
You want a coach to stop and say..."Hey, look at this", right?

The questionare takes care of your "application" But a letter that mentions FACTS about a team- The players, last year's big successful meet- All these "small" points- A little homework can show a coach you actually know something about his program, and that you can write a complete sentence.

Here's a question that may shed some light on my suggestion-
When you get this mass mailer crap in your mailbox from schools, how impressed are you? Exactly.
I think he was talking about the on-line questionnaire that can be submited electronically from the school's athletic web page. Most colleges have that on-line option

I would assume that there would be some mixed results, with the variance being the coach.

Regardless of what you send in I would suggest you try to send in a photograph of yourself. That's helpful to the recruiters to remember you.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
01-05-2009, 10:41 AM
A photo would be a good idea (if you are URM*) And especially a good idea otherwise,
'cause frankly, all country club sports / tennis players look pretty much alike to me.

As far as the questionaire- fill it out, print it out and mail it with the letter was my point.

* PC- admissions application speak for Under Represented Minority

jamesbond4
01-05-2009, 11:07 AM
tennismom and mighty thank you for the responses.
Tennis mom if you could send the template that would be great.

thanks

tennismom42
01-05-2009, 12:23 PM

thanks
I'll send it after work today

Cameron
01-05-2009, 01:30 PM
[QUOTE=

If you want, I'll send you the letter my son used, in template format. But you'll have to go back into your profile set up & click on the box that says "OK to receive e-mails from other users." Then let me know.

Good luck[/QUOTE]

Hi, I am a 16 year old girl starting the recruiting process also. I was wondering if you could send me your son's template too. Thank you! :)

Cameron
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
I'd say use both too. Furthermore, follow it up with a timely telephone call. As in, call the coach about 2-3 days after you did the latter (questionnaire or e-mail).

Good luck

sorry i accidentally messed this up earlier. I was just wondering if you could send me the template too. Thanks

tennismom42
01-05-2009, 05:44 PM

thanks
James Bond,
I am unable to e-mail it to you. I don't think your profile is set up yet to receive e-mails. Did you check the box for it.

cmb
01-06-2009, 05:45 AM
I called the coach before I sent anything. I called him and asked if he was looking for a player, the assistant asked me some questions and then I sent an email.
If your a good player they expect you to be arrogant to some extent. Either way, but I was definitely not going to fill out some stupid questionaire that the coach is going to laugh at.

jamesbond4
01-06-2009, 08:24 AM
Sorry, I would rather not display my email over this fourm. Is there any way I can email you first?

thanks

tennismom42
01-06-2009, 10:15 AM
Sorry, I would rather not display my email over this fourm. Is there any way I can email you first?

thanks
you can e-mail me by clicking on my profile name. That is what I was trying to get you to set up -- it does not display the e-mail address. You will see that when you click on my profile name. So that's fine, just e-mail to me & I'll e-mail the letter to you.

rizz
01-06-2009, 10:47 AM
I called the coach before I sent anything. I called him and asked if he was looking for a player, the assistant asked me some questions and then I sent an email.
If your a good player they expect you to be arrogant to some extent. Either way, but I was definitely not going to fill out some stupid questionaire that the coach is going to laugh at.

speaking from experience as a d1 college coach, that is one of the dumbest things i've ever read.

if you are too cool to fill out my questionnaire, maybe you are too cool to work hard in practice, bring the water to the courts, pick up your own balls, etc.

jamesbond4
01-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Sorry I Think because my email is not displayed I am unable to see anyone elses email or else I am unable to see it.

tennismom42
01-06-2009, 06:26 PM
Sorry I Think because my email is not displayed I am unable to see anyone elses email or else I am unable to see it.
Well, I'll try to post it here, but it isn't going to be pretty.

jamesbond4
01-06-2009, 07:10 PM
you could post it and then delete it after I make the next post

Chauvalito
01-06-2009, 07:20 PM
you could post it and then delete it after I make the next post
You can change the setting in your account so that you can receive e-mails.

tennismom42
01-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Sorry for the delay. Telephone rang.

Well, this is going to be really ugly, but here goes. This is a sample letter to send to recruiters:

January __, 2009

University of ___________________
Attn: Coach ________ and Assistant Coach _________

Dear Coaches ________ and __________:

My parents and I have noticed that you have viewed my profile on the tennisrecruiting.net website. As you may have noticed, I am very interested in attending college in the South and I am qualified to play Division I men’s tennis. Please consider me for your team.

[Use this paragraph to tie yourself to the University, such as your Uncle graduated from there or you’ve visited the school.] I was born and raised in the Florida and I really want to return to the South. It just feels like “home” to me. During my junior tournament years I have intentionally traveled to multiple national tournaments in Florida and the South because I am drawn back there. In the near future, we are contemplating my participation in another tournament in the South. Hopefully you can attend and watch me compete. However, we are also very interested in an official visit to the <Mascot’s name> campus.

After contemplation and research, I believe that you and the University of ____________ offer the elements that I value most: [give your OWN list of what’s important to you] similarly-talented teammates; Southern location; a great business school; challenging training, along with fair and reputable coaching.

My value to the team is as follows: great court reputation for honesty and hard work; a need for competitive challenge; and a thirst to be trained. Presently, I am USTA ranked #____ and a tennisrecruiting.net ??-star, ranked #?? with a solid TennisRPI at ??. Please note that on this system, I have a strong Schedule of Strength (SOS) of ??? In ________, I began boarding at _______ in _______, ________. Below is a list of my recent, favorite victories:

Victory over>>>> Tournament Name>>>>Date>>>>Score>>>>>Details

[there's a table grid here, you'll just have to make one with the above column headers]

[Also, list your High School accomplishments (in tennis, academics, clubs, volunteering.]

Thank you for taking this time to read my letter during your busy recruiting season. I hope to hear from you soon. The academics, tennis and tournaments keep me very busy, so the best times to reach me are _________ weekdays and _________ weekends. Otherwise, I will call you very soon.

Respectfully submitted,

Your Name herer

Type your name here
_____________ cell or _____your e-mail address___

If you know how to set up an e-mail address, set one up with a short, nifty name so coaches can remember it.

cmb
01-07-2009, 07:52 PM
speaking from experience as a d1 college coach, that is one of the dumbest things i've ever read.

if you are too cool to fill out my questionnaire, maybe you are too cool to work hard in practice, bring the water to the courts, pick up your own balls, etc.

funny thing is that I was one of the hardest workers on the team and 1 of only 3 guys in my time that are still playing tennis full time.
What school were u the coach at?? Id like to know

tennismom42
01-07-2009, 09:30 PM
funny thing is that I was one of the hardest workers on the team and 1 of only 3 guys in my time that are still playing tennis full time.

Now, now, none of this stuff. Both of you! Since you are apparently young, you are starting to break some internet ettiquette rules. I understand he dissed you first. But you can turn things around.

Here's what I suggest, go back into your post & rephrase it. Say something like, "does any one have an opinion on how effective it is to fill out one of those on-line questionnaires on the school's website." I would be curious too. If someone says they are/were a college coach, odds are it's probably true & you don't want to risk your chances before you get up to bat. People talk. Getting the scholarships is hard enough.

Just a suggestion.

rizz
01-07-2009, 09:54 PM
players top 10 US had no problem filling out our questionnaire and you can learn quite a bit about a person, which is important for a coach, regardless of how good a player they may be.

i think its bad advice to young players to talk about coaches expecting a certain level of arrogance and then brag about not filling out "some stupid questionnaire".

a little humility never hurts.

guido88
01-10-2009, 11:16 PM
i went through the whole recruiting process a couple years ago and i found that the most effective way of getting in contact with coaches was by direct email. However throughout the process i did both and had some success with the questionnaires but more with the personal emails.