PDA

View Full Version : Everyone ready for the new league season?

AR15
01-05-2009, 06:02 AM
My USTA league play starts tonight.

Yesterday, I restrung my racquets.

Over the holidays I did a lot of playing, and hit with the ball machine in preparation. (hope it pays off)

What, if anything, have you done to get ready for the new season?

GPB
01-05-2009, 06:09 AM
I got lazy, only hitting the courts once a week, maximum. This season is already off to an outstanding start!

goober
01-05-2009, 06:14 AM
New season? We still have 3-4 matches in our Fall season and playoffs after that if we get in. Unfortunately I am coming off injury and playing really badly. :? Christmas Break didn't help either- probably gained 5 lbs- lol

AR15
01-05-2009, 06:19 AM
New season?

In my area, we don't have a fall USTA season. We only have Winter and Spring. The only USTA play we have during the fall is combo leagues.

We do not start until Winter because the weather is usually mild enough for playing, and it allows us to play a full year with the new ratings that come out the 1st of December each year.

dgrave2
01-05-2009, 06:21 AM
We have fall, but not winter. Our leagues dont start until next month.. but ive been practicing with some hitting partners and taking private lessons. Can't wait for it to start!

Storm_Kyori
01-05-2009, 08:22 AM
Where am at we have Spring, Fall and Winter, but is mixed dubs, then men two singles 3 dubs, and finally men's dubs.

bleach
01-05-2009, 09:33 AM
We just had a winter Holiday Mxd League. It was a single round-robin league, played indoors, in 4 days. My team won the league, so we now qualify for State... in Oct!

SlapShot
01-05-2009, 09:35 AM
I'm just ready for my next match - our league (due to being in a cold weather state with limited indoor court time) is every other week, which means that during the holidays, we get nearly a month off.

albino smurf
01-06-2009, 05:55 AM
Just about to start up for the first time for me. Can't wait to check it out.

Jim A
01-06-2009, 07:46 AM
league play here doesn't start until late April, just some tournaments in Feb/March to sharpen up and club play

GPB
01-06-2009, 11:51 AM
Here in Jacksonville, FL, I've got two singles flex leagues and a doubles flex league rearing their ugly heads this coming Monday. Oh, and I'm also playing soccer with my wife in a 7-v-7 coed soccer league once a week as well.

And I thought I had no free time now. Do work, son!

sureshs
01-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I got someone ready for a league. Was practising a few serves on the weekend when I got roped in as a fourth for a couple who wanted to practise for their upcoming USTA 7.5 mixed. My partner and I played 1 set with them and won. There were a couple of sarcastic comments from them about line calls made by my partner. Towards the end, the couple started getting frustrated and angry and not talking during the changeover. The guy kept blaming himself for missed overheads and apologizing to his partner long after the points were over. After the set ended, the woman says I really don't want to play anymore and marches off the court with her partner. This was the same person who had walked all the way across the club courts to call me to be the fourth at the start.

I am glad I am not in any of these leagues. Reinforced my fear of mixed doubles. What was supposed to be a social match between them and us (my partner and I didn't know each other) for their benefit ended with snide remarks and unpleasantness. I can imagine how ugly their real matches are going to be. If you want to practise, you have to prepared to lose. Otherwise what is the point? There is something about mixed doubles that causes weird dynamics among couples, as if their relationship is based on the outcome.

JLyon
01-06-2009, 01:32 PM
waiting for weather to warm-up but already have a 4.5 and 5.0 team registered for the upcoming season.

Nanshiki
01-06-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm still waiting to get on a team... but the LW guys are kind of exclusive (pretty much members only unless they don't have enough), and MTC is too far to drive for me. And the TC teams are full...

(only AR15 is going to understand any of that :p)

So I basically wasted my $40 signing up for USTA membership. lol.

goober
01-06-2009, 08:19 PM
I'm still waiting to get on a team... but the LW guys are kind of exclusive (pretty much members only unless they don't have enough), and MTC is too far to drive for me. And the TC teams are full...

Make your own team. There must be other guys like you in your area. Get whomever you can recruit. It will probably be a weak team, but who cares- you will get play alot:)

Nanshiki
01-06-2009, 08:30 PM
Don't have time or networking skills to get eight players together.

pmacino
01-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Up to Two a week 1:1s w/club pro + ball machine as far as actual strokes go.

Performance/HIIT Training 4/5 days a week. Since October I have dropped 38 pounds.

Teams starting forming about a month ago here for 3 months of practice before matches start.

AR15
01-08-2009, 05:08 AM

You must be in BC, on the east side of the bay.

JavierLW
01-08-2009, 05:44 AM

Well you do get tennis magazine at least. :-) That's usually good for about 5 minutes of entertainment.

Topaz
01-08-2009, 08:25 AM
Our USTA mixed season just started, but the adult women's league (indoor and outdoor) won't start until mid-April.

I'm very lukewarm about mixed, so I still have a few months to gear up!

Spokewench
01-08-2009, 09:50 AM
Senior starts at the end of February probably - but I'm not old enough yet; womens adult in March/April so our season hasn't started yet. Just as well, since we are up to our knees in snow.

I've been taking a little break for about a month. No lessons, no playing every day or days in a row; just playing for fun a couple times a week.

It's good for the arm to rest for awhile.

spoke

vandre
01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
mine starts sat. and i haven't hit a ball since sept.

oh yeah, its gonna be u-g-l-y!!!!!!! :mad:

robby c
01-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Got my racquets back from Warren Bosworth. He rebuilt my Head Satellite handles to the Wilson shape with Wilson Butt caps( yep I got the last 3 from TW).
Got 4 sets of strings, 2 pair of Kswiss Defier RS, case of balls, new Fila warmups just like my college team wore in the 80's. My team's gonna win. Local league starts mid-Feb.
Robby C