PDA

View Full Version : Are these assumptions true or false? You descide

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 01:32 PM
Hey guys, just a simple true or false thing. I'm curious about these things and I don't know the answer. These are my assumptions on these things.

1.A 5.0 player can make it to most DII schools
2. It is realistic for a 3.5 player to become a 5.0 in 3 years training if the 3.5 player is fit,strong,willing to work with a good work ethic, taking lessons, playing a tournament a month, and practicing 2-5 hours a day.
3. A slice is a defensive shot 95% of the time
4. Tournaments are the best way to build mental toughness

And just a quick question that I have no clue to, what NTRP do DIII schools usually take?Also, for these assumptions, just say if I'm right or wrong and if I have something completley wrong if you would educate me on this.

Thanks!

LeeD
01-05-2009, 01:39 PM
You mean singles, not doubles, right?
1. Yes, especially if he has the tools to develop into a stronger player.
2. Yes, if you enter and try in at least 10 tournaments a year.
3. Yes, for the two handers. Not necessarily for the one handers. That deep slice is a great shot for variety and pulling an otherwise dialed player into his DIScomfort zone.
4. Don't know about BEST, but you still gotta play 30 tournaments your next 3 years.

SlapShot
01-05-2009, 01:45 PM
Hey guys, just a simple true or false thing. I'm curious about these things and I don't know the answer. These are my assumptions on these things.

1.A 5.0 player can make it to most DII schools
2. It is realistic for a 3.5 player to become a 5.0 in 3 years training if the 3.5 player is fit,strong,willing to work with a good work ethic, taking lessons, playing a tournament a month, and practicing 2-5 hours a day.
3. A slice is a defensive shot 95% of the time
4. Tournaments are the best way to build mental toughness

And just a quick question that I have no clue to, what NTRP do DIII schools usually take?Also, for these assumptions, just say if I'm right or wrong and if I have something completley wrong if you would educate me on this.

Thanks!

1. A player who is a 5.0 in high school would likely make it onto a competitive DII school. A true 5.0 level player in HS would likely be in the top 25 of the section, and likely higher than that is less competitive sections. That being said, NTRP doesn't really exist for juniors, period.

2. Not likely at all in my opinion without the perfect storm of natural ability, work ethic, and access to top-notch coaching. 95% of people who take up tennis never get to 5.0 period, let alone in 3 years.

3. Not at all - a slice can be a fantastic offensive shot at the right time. What do you consider "offensive"? A good lob can force an error or even be an outright winner despite being seen as primarily a defensive shot.

Farz77
01-05-2009, 01:57 PM
Great answers for the other questions. But to add to the fact that the slice is in fact a defensive and offensive shot. What do you think guys like Sampras, Rafter, Dent, Henman, Federer and others use to get to the net on the backhand side. 95% of the time if the ball is low, SLICE!

oneguy21
01-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Agree with all except three. I mostly use my slice as a weapon. During my tournament, my slice was especially effective since my opponent didn't like low balls especially when it's skidding across the court pretty fast.

LeeD
01-05-2009, 02:40 PM
Depends on the opposition.
Seem most modern players these days eat up high bouncing balls to the back or fore hands....
I played some easy 5.5's who ate up low skidded ovally hit backhand sliced balls, they using continental both sides, sidespin, and approach.
So you gotta play LOTS of players in LOTS of tournaments to say what sorta works and what doesn't for you.
Every opponent hates something, and loves something else. Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to seek out their strengths and weaknesses, hit 65% to their weakness and 25 to their strengths, and see how the cards lay.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 02:51 PM
2. Not likely at all in my opinion without the perfect storm of natural ability, work ethic, and access to top-notch coaching. 95% of people who take up tennis never get to 5.0 period, let alone in 3 years.

Well thanks for being honest with this. This is actually the most important question to me as this is the situation I'm in at the moment. I want to know if this goal of playing DII is a realistic one or not. Track is my best sport and I'm on the right course to get a DII scholarship for that. I ran an 11.77s 100m dash time during summer training for track as a sophomore. When the real track season comes in the spring I should be able to beat that and keep getting faster. If DII for tennis is really that far off for a 3.5, then maybe I should just put most of my attention in track. If I end up senior year with a time in the low 11s (very realistic for me) for the 100m, I have a really good chance to get into a good school. Does anyone else know if this is a realistic goal for me to get to a DII school? Like I said in my post, I have all the "athletic requirements" for DII but is it impossible? Don't tell me nothing is impossible, be realistic with me. Id rather do tennis than track, but whatever happens happens....

[ GTR ]
01-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Just wondering, why are you always mentioning your very fast track times?

LeeD
01-05-2009, 03:05 PM
Honest....
In 8th grade, I ran 11.8 in the 100 YARD dash.
ReggieAndersen beat me by half a second, or ten feet.
I went back to longjump (best 21' one inch in the all city finals).
When I was in highschool, TonyBlass, our all city junior halfback, ran 100 in 10.7 for track in the spring.
Wayne McConical, the year before, ran 10.5 at 200 lbs.
That would be circa 1965.
I'd go for the tennis. You have the desire, the aptitude, the size, to quickly advance from 3.5 now to 5.5 in 3 years, IF YOU REALLY WANT IT.
I suspect you already have the one year headstart, and in 3 years, you'll have been playing for 4 total years.
Plenty for a full tennis scholarship with the right strokes (you have it) and right practice habits. Well, you gotta try a bit harder there.
Remember, your vid is your AUDITION of your tennis skills. Censor out the slow and lazy, and concentrate on your best.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 03:07 PM
1.Im proud of them
2.I worked hard to get where I am

If you got a problem with it leave, I've had enough ***** from GWB in my other thread and want ZERO arguments in this thread. Im not insulting anyone and not putting anyone down by saying this.That's like asking TonLars why he has he's a 5.5-6.0 in his sig. He's proud of his accomplishments and wants to show it. Why dont you ask him why he has that in his sig and see what he says?

[ GTR ]
01-05-2009, 03:13 PM
1.Im proud of them
2.I worked hard to get where I am

If you got a problem with it leave, I've had enough ***** from GWB in my other thread and want ZERO arguments in this thread. Im not insulting anyone and not putting anyone down by saying this.That's like asking TonLars why he has he's a 5.5-6.0 in his sig. He's proud of his accomplishments and wants to show it. Why dont you ask him why he has that in his sig and see what he says?

Good on you being proud of yourself. Why do you have to mention it all the time? He just has it in it his sig and that's all while you keep mentioning your track times and your athletic abilities in a lot of your posts.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 03:43 PM
Lol so you would prefer me to put that in my sig? And I don't mention it in alot my posts, but alot of my threads. I just mention it but never go on to show off and ask people what they run ect. Only exception is GWB and that's different. I usually say this when I want to prove my athletic ability to everyone. If your finding it annoying I'll be glad to tone it down a notch (or 2 lol). Only person I'll allow to not like me on these boards is GWB. I want a good rep around here and I dont want to sound arrogant

edit-lee thats impressive lol, seriously very nice times.

[ GTR ]
01-05-2009, 03:51 PM
In his sig it says 5.5 to 6.0 and his team or something..

This is you..

I'm very athletic, I'm really fast, I run my track in 11 seconds, I'm really athletic, my footwork should be perfect because I'm so athletic. I'm a very fit guy, I run after everything and I got ripped calves.. Wow I didn't know my calves were huge!! Compare myself to ppl like GWF and my body is so much better and much more athetic than his or that dude with the kim clijsters/shrek's wife avatar.

And I didn't even look up your posts. I just remember all this, so you can tell how much you mention your athletic-ness. I might be exaggerating a bit but you get my point don't you?

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 04:11 PM
A little bit exaggerated,but I get it. I said I move better than them, not that I'm faster. I talk alot though and I don't mean to show off, that's just who I am.I got ya though lol, I'll stop.

You want to answer my questions maybe?

LeeD
01-05-2009, 04:16 PM
You might "talk a lot", but in reality overall, for what we need, you are also realistic and giving yourself a fair chance.
You say you hit 4.5 and might actually BE a 3.5. Pretty realistic.
And your strokes ARE actually close to solid 4.5. They'll get better thru this year, and will be there.
After that, it's not quality of stroke...you have it...it's the mental toughness, desire, practice habits, recovery from tired or injured, concentration from distractions, and tons of other barely related to tennis things that determine whether you'll be 5.5 in 3 years or 6.0. or 3.5.
Since you're only young once, why not give it a go?
You can only have fun and have a great time.

[ GTR ]
01-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Oh sorry about that..

I'm not in the USA so I don't know 1. and 2.

But I'd say 3. is correct for most people with 2handers (unless they have variety) and girls (not being sexist but most of the time it's true).

One handers need to have a good slice IMO.

I'd say no. 4 is correct too but also to play against better players so you lose slightly more than you win so that you get that drive to wanting to improve to their level or even better.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 04:30 PM
You might "talk a lot", but in reality overall, for what we need, you are also realistic and giving yourself a fair chance.
You say you hit 4.5 and might actually BE a 3.5. Pretty realistic.
And your strokes ARE actually close to solid 4.5. They'll get better thru this year, and will be there.
After that, it's not quality of stroke...you have it...it's the mental toughness, desire, practice habits, recovery from tired or injured, concentration from distractions, and tons of other barely related to tennis things that determine whether you'll be 5.5 in 3 years or 6.0. or 3.5.
Since you're only young once, why not give it a go?
You can only have fun and have a great time.

Thanks both of you. I'll just go for it then and see what happens then, I have nothing to loose. My parents said they would pay for a tourney a month, so I guess I'd best take the offer and play as many as I can. I try and be realistic like you said. I remember I said I was a 5.5 at 15, then I found I was a 3.5 lol....

Keep the responses coming guys

LeeD
01-05-2009, 04:46 PM
You have a few advantages right off the bat...
You're in Colorado, so you get more O2 into your lungs than we do at sea level. Well actually, we get less into our lungs than you do up there.
You already have a year under your belt.
Your parents support your tennis.
So hit up all the highschools and offer to play for balls!
Be at the tennis courts and ask everyone who could play to hit with you. Only good can come with that.
The more varied your partners, including girls, the better for your game.
I mentioned I got to hit pretty regularly with CeciMartinez my second season of tennis. She was top 50 touring Women's pro the year before. I think she was maybe top 7 in the world the year before that. You don't know till you ask, and sometimes you get lucky at that.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
You have a few advantages right off the bat...
You're in Colorado, so you get more O2 into your lungs than we do at sea level. Well actually, we get less into our lungs than you do up there.
You already have a year under your belt.
Your parents support your tennis.
So hit up all the highschools and offer to play for balls!
Be at the tennis courts and ask everyone who could play to hit with you. Only good can come with that.
The more varied your partners, including girls, the better for your game.
I mentioned I got to hit pretty regularly with CeciMartinez my second season of tennis. She was top 50 touring Women's pro the year before. I think she was maybe top 7 in the world the year before that. You don't know till you ask, and sometimes you get lucky at that.

Haha yeah thanks. The place I live in has like a 5800 ft elevation, its crazy. Kinda isolated, but its a nice area I guess. My friend and I (hes #2 singles for our school) live close to each other and hit alot. Our school doesn't have a deep tennis team, so #2 doesn't mean much. Our #1 is a solid 4.0, and thats our #1. The schools that win state around here have strong 4.5s as their #1 (I think 1 school has someone whos ranked 140 in the nation for 18s, hes a beast). I've hit with a legit 4.5 before, thats the best guy ive hit with. He blew me away, he was really good. The hardest about training really hard for sports at my age is the distractions ill get.Trying to get a girl,school,friends,stupid gossip that you have to take care of,and the hormones lol.

edit-oh i get what you mean about girls now.Wow i feel dumb...

LeeD
01-05-2009, 05:18 PM
Well good on you for trying....
The say, if you don't go up to bat, you'll never strike out.
Applies to girls.
But I was thinking...... lots of top level girls play where I do. I mentioned at least 5 that regularly hit with me maybe once a month. Don't ignore that source of groundstroke and consistency practice.
Girls will come, and they will go.
You are young only once, so give tennis a shot.
Most good tennis players will hit with you, if you ask. Don't expect a lifetime hitting partner, so set your goal to try the best you can, your all out effort, and you'll be surprised.
Never a casual, lackdaisical hit with new people.
And you're 6' tall already. They will come a flocking, to disturb your try at top level tennis. You have to make a choice then.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 05:33 PM
lol new sig isnt bad. Looking for something better though haha

Anyway, do you know what it takes to go to a DI school? Like NTRP wise? I know I wont make it but curious. And for DIII, any idea?By the way, my dad is 6'4, so hopefully I'll be that tall when Im done growing. I imagine my serve will be alot better at that height

Mada
01-05-2009, 05:36 PM
lol new sig isnt bad. Looking for something better though haha

Anyway, do you know what it takes to go to a DI school? Like NTRP wise? I know I wont make it but curious. And for DIII, any idea?By the way, my dad is 6'4, so hopefully I'll be that tall when Im done growing. I imagine my serve will be alot better at that height

Don't say you know you won't make it; there is always the possibility. Set your goals high, even if there isn't a big chance of you living up to them.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Don't say you know you won't make it; there is always the possibility. Set your goals high, even if there isn't a big chance of you living up to them.

I guess, but I want to be realistic. DII right now sounds like its going be ridiculously hard. I'm giving it a go though, we'll see from now until im 18. At least I play another sport for a back up unless this doesnt work though

LeeD
01-05-2009, 05:45 PM
You know I'm from California.
Lots of tennis players here, lots of competition.
By third year, without ANY coaching, I'd play dead even with #1 AAA Highschool players, can beat the #2, and close to even with #2-4 at CityCollege of SanFrancisco.
You can do it easier, you're taller, younger, and at least as quick or fast.
But you still gotta pick up your practice habits.

Ballinbob
01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
alright got it. I'll just go for it and worry about making it when the time comes.

That's all I needed from this thread, Im done now.

Thanks everyone