PDA

View Full Version : DizBoiDanny Review: Luxilon M2

DizBoiDanny
01-05-2009, 02:59 PM
A little background information. I'm 6'1, 158 pounds. I play singles one for my HS. Been playing for..... 2 years? People rated me a 4.0. I use a SW grip, using both Two hand backhand and One Hand Backhand. Enough of me lets get to the point.

My original string set up is........ I don't have one. But i play with sppp/gosen and big aces/gosen.

Remember this is all MY OPINION. I don't want any "Oh I didn't find any spin from this string etc. etc. etc.

Equipment: Prince Ozone tour strung with Luxilon M2 at 54 pounds.

Stringing: This string was VERY easy to string. Felt like a syn sometime. But still stiff because its poly. Weaving wasn't as hard but still toke longer. Didn't have any sting slipped.

Power 8/10: You can feel the power there at 54 but yet still have plenty of control.

Spin 9/10: I was surprise about the spin i was getting with this string. It was sick.

Comfort 8.5/10: This string was soft to string and soft on the courts. Not as stiff as regular poly, but a great soft string.

Control 9/10: The control from this string is just superb. I can swing and BAM its there. But there are points where its out, but it was my fault.

Overall 9/10: I would recommend this string to people who wants to try poly for the first time. If you have tennis elbow, but can still hit with poly. YOU should get this string a go. I would buy this string if it was 10 or less.

hoodjem
01-05-2009, 03:33 PM
I would buy this string if it was 10 or less.

Don't hold your breath . . .:oops:

davidahenry
01-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks DizBoiDanny - nice review. I am still waiting for my free sample to arrive.

Take care.

DH

DizBoiDanny
01-05-2009, 03:37 PM
Don't hold your breath . . .:oops:

yeah if its from Luxilon...... :[

forehand2theface
01-06-2009, 04:29 PM
i just strung it up today and it was difficult because of the 18x20 pattern, but it felt fairly stiff. i haven't hit with it yet though

PED
01-07-2009, 06:38 AM
Nice writeup-I agree with all your points. I did mine at 52 and wish I'd gone higher to 54 or 55.

It's alot "springier" than ALU or BBO and you get a nice trampoline effect. We'll see how long it holds tension. If M2 holds tension better than alu, I would likely use the M2 but if not, I still give the nod to alu.

mrmo1115
01-07-2009, 06:42 AM
Thanks for the review, looks like it got a better review than most Hollow Core reviews I got. I have a pack of this string lying around, I will see when I will be able to give it a test run.

DizBoiDanny
01-07-2009, 05:22 PM
Ped: I always string my racquets at 58/60, but i wanted to try it at 54. It went all great.

Mromo: I have just strung up my hollow core on my lm radical at 58/60. I can write a review about that as well.

Ryoku
01-08-2009, 06:12 AM
I would like to know how the spin is compared to the Luxilon BB Alu Power Rough

PED
01-08-2009, 07:33 AM
The spin is not as much as with either of the ALU's. It's still got nice action but M2 is not as stiff which likely cuts down on the spin. I know that a lot of spin is technique driven but all things being equal spin on M2 is down maybe 15% on ALU. Not a massive drop, but I think M2 makes up for it in other areas: touch is much better and I think the overall power level is up as well over alu.

davidahenry
01-08-2009, 11:15 AM
^^^ Thanks for the comments PED. As an Alu lover, I appreciate the comparison of M2 to Alu. I just received my free sample of M2 today. I'm looking forward to trying it out soon. Not expecting it to surpass my love of Alu, but I'm certainly excited to give it a go.

Take care.

DH

PED
01-08-2009, 11:32 AM
David, it was a bit warmer at lunchtime when I played today(54 as opposed to 46 lately) but the M2 worked particularly well today. I guess the warmer temps made it even more elastic but it was quite effective. I was getting some nice action on my fh but what I liked the best was flattening out shots and the extra spring on the m2 really helped out.

In the end it's hard to review strings in the winter since the colder temps change so many characteristics but I like the m2 more each time I play with it.

One final note, I'm still getting a little wrist discomfort-I don't know if I'm hitting harder because the m2 allows me to, but either way the discomfort would not be enough to make me stop using it. I'm playing with someone WAY out of my league tomorrow and I'm going to try some back to back with my alu stick.

wao
01-08-2009, 11:33 AM
The spin is not as much as with either of the ALU's. It's still got nice action but M2 is not as stiff which likely cuts down on the spin. I know that a lot of spin is technique driven but all things being equal spin on M2 is down maybe 15% on ALU. Not a massive drop, but I think M2 makes up for it in other areas: touch is much better and I think the overall power level is up as well over alu.I also got a couple of free sets. It's definately softer than my usual BG or BA hybrid. I strung it at my normal tension 52/54. It definately needed to be 54 or even 56.

unprotennis
01-08-2009, 11:49 AM
now im itching to try it out.

when i received it it felt pretty stiff and was a nasty colour. cream?

are all of the samples 'cream' coloured?

davidahenry
01-08-2009, 11:56 AM
are all of the samples 'cream' coloured?

Mine is. Not too "pretty", but if it plays well, I think I can live with it. :-)

Take care.

DH

mrmo1115
01-08-2009, 12:31 PM
Ped: I always string my racquets at 58/60, but i wanted to try it at 54. It went all great.

Mromo: I have just strung up my hollow core on my lm radical at 58/60. I can write a review about that as well.

How do the two match up vs each other?

PED
01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I also got a couple of free sets. It's definately softer than my usual BG or BA hybrid. I strung it at my normal tension 52/54. It definately needed to be 54 or even 56.

WAO have you played with it yet? I would think you would like it coming from your BG/MT setup. It really almost feels like a poly/multi hybrid would.

I've gotten the hang of the power of m2 and have not been flying as many long as on day one. If it were in the 70's around here now(like in Arizona ;) I would def string it up at 55 or 56. It seems to be holding tension well also. My PST is a underpowered at times and I've been searching (maybe) for a new stick with some more oomph, but the M2 is giving me that little bit extra so the PST might be around a bit longer ;)

wao
01-08-2009, 01:27 PM
WAO have you played with it yet? I would think you would like it coming from your BG/MT setup. It really almost feels like a poly/multi hybrid would.

I've gotten the hang of the power of m2 and have not been flying as many long as on day one. If it were in the 70's around here now(like in Arizona ;) I would def string it up at 55 or 56. It seems to be holding tension well also. My PST is a underpowered at times and I've been searching (maybe) for a new stick with some more oomph, but the M2 is giving me that little bit extra so the PST might be around a bit longer ;)Played with it for about 2hrs Tuesday. I am playing tonight so giving it another go. Also got a set of ALU Power and rough as I am out of BG. The weather is nice out here at least in the valley. They had 2ft of snow in Flagstaff last weekend. Can't beat year round tennis where you don't have to pay all those club fee's.

scotus
01-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Comfort 8.5/10: This string was soft to string and soft on the courts. Not as stiff as regular poly, but a great soft string.

More comfortable than your SPPP and Big Ace?

DizBoiDanny
01-08-2009, 03:55 PM
More comfortable than your SPPP and Big Ace?

Yes, it is more comfortable IMO. But i don't use them as a full set. I use a hybrid of the gosen.

wao
01-09-2009, 02:18 PM

I've gotten the hang of the power of m2 and have not been flying as many long as on day one. If it were in the 70's around here now(like in Arizona ;) I would def string it up at 55 or 56. It seems to be holding tension well also. My PST is a underpowered at times and I've been searching (maybe) for a new stick with some more oomph, but the M2 is giving me that little bit extra so the PST might be around a bit longer ;)PED, after the second hit I am cutting them out. Possibly should have strung it as I would string a multi like 58-60. String a set of ALU Power tonight just comparing strings again, not that I am NOT happy with BG it is one of my fav's.

PED
01-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I know what you mean. I hit today with a guy who used to play on the circuit. I hit for the first 10 mins with my M2 and it was pretty nice. I swapped to my alu stick and my partner didn't see me switch and after my next forehand, he said, that's what I'm talking about!!!.

My ball had so much more pop and action on it. I used the alu stick for the rest of that session. I know technique enters into it and the M2 is fine but alu is still my fav.

Be careful with the ALU, she's very seductive and you might be switching back ;)

DizBoiDanny
01-09-2009, 03:45 PM
I know what you mean. I hit today with a guy who used to play on the circuit. I hit for the first 10 mins with my M2 and it was pretty nice. I swapped to my alu stick and my partner didn't see me switch and after my next forehand, he said, that's what I'm talking about!!!.

My ball had so much more pop and action on it. I used the alu stick for the rest of that session. I know technique enters into it and the M2 is fine but alu is still my fav.

Be careful with the ALU, she's very seductive and you might be switching back ;)

haha ALU? I might should just give that string a try as well.

davidahenry
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM

She's so seductive I might not even switch away in the first place. :) I'll just keep my two sets of M2 as inventory for some of my stringing customers.

In my Wednesday night league this past week, I broke out a freshly strung Alu Power Rough (full) job. I was playing well, and my groundies had so much action on them. There were at least four occasions where my opponent stood there and didn't play the ball because he thought it was surely going a bit long. Instead, the ball dropped right inside or on the line - leaving him quite frustrated with himself. The spin, pop, and action with Alu is indeed sick. I love it.

Take care.

DH

PED
01-09-2009, 05:29 PM
David, it would be worth stringing one up just to see, after all it is free. M2 is good string, it's just not as good in my mind as alu. I wonder who the target audience is on the M2?

zeratul90
01-09-2009, 05:57 PM
DizBoiDanny, when you ordered the string, was there any tax that came with it? I read the rules and saw this - Any taxes related to the LUXILONŽ M2 String sets are the sole responsibility of the registrant.

DizBoiDanny
01-09-2009, 06:10 PM
tax? it was free strings. But i don't think they are doing it anymore because they are sellling it this year.

jim e
01-09-2009, 07:25 PM
tax? it was free strings. But i don't think they are doing it anymore because they are sellling it this year.

The site is still up, so it seems the offer is still on, at least on this site(for those who did not order their free sample as yet).
http://www.protennis.us/m2request.asp

davidahenry
01-10-2009, 09:15 AM
David, it would be worth stringing one up just to see, after all it is free. M2 is good string, it's just not as good in my mind as alu. I wonder who the target audience is on the M2?

Yep - I will certainly give it a try. Just not expecting it to top my Alu Power Rough, but you never know.

Take care.

David

Blade0324
01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
I found the M2 to be a really nice sting as well. Most comparable thing I can com up with is Sonic Pro. Pretty soft for a poly and strings up nice. I strung up a full set at 60,59 in my MGPP and was surprised at how lively the string bed seemed when fresh. I got it on the court about a day and a half after stringing it up and it really felt good. Power was definately there as was good control. I would agree with others that it does not seem to give quite as much spin as some other poly's but really isn't too far off. The feel of it is pretty unique for a poly and I have to say I like it quite well. If Luxilon can keep the price in the $11-12 range it should be a good seller IMO. It has been almost a week since I strung it up and have played with it 3 times and tension seems to be holding pretty well so far. We'll see how long that lasts.

wao
01-12-2009, 09:57 AM

Be careful with the ALU, she's very seductive and you might be switching back ;)She is seductive for a slick co poly not my normal rough one. Enjoyed hitting with her twice this past weekend, the weather was warm and she just poped. Playing again tomorrow and thrusday. How is the rough version compared to BG?

PED
01-12-2009, 10:00 AM
I still give the nod to the rough. I got a great deal last year on my current "inventory" of alu power but they didn't have any rough when I bought it so I've just been using the normal. I'll go back to rough when I run out of alu power. I find the spin is even better with the rough and it's got more elasticity than BG. In pure spin terms, BG probably has it beat though.

Damn those Arizona Cardinals :) I was at the game Sat night and they made my panthers look BAD.

wao
01-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I still give the nod to the rough. I got a great deal last year on my current "inventory" of alu power but they didn't have any rough when I bought it so I've just been using the normal. I'll go back to rough when I run out of alu power. I find the spin is even better with the rough and it's got more elasticity than BG. In pure spin terms, BG probably has it beat though.

Damn those Arizona Cardinals :) I was at the game Sat night and they made my panthers look BAD.Had someone from work fly out to the game, they are also panthers fans. My team didn't show up to play, raised outside of NYC my team is the Giants. Have a set of ALU rough so in a week or so when the ACE is dead or the crosses pop I will give it a go. THANKS:)

jcstennis
01-12-2009, 12:48 PM
would M2 fare better in a more flexy racquet or a stiffer one? should it be treated as a multi?

better to tension mains and crosses the same?

i know this is all preference... but will try the string, not sure which racquet... the flexy one, the stiff one or the underpowered one... looking for best fit... or benefit from the string.

thanks

PED
01-12-2009, 12:57 PM
J, I think it will work well in just about anything...seriously. It's very elastic and springy. I would use it in one of your lower powered sticks.

I'll be curious as to how it feels to you when you do the actual stringing-you're always good on the descriptions.

I think you will like it as I do but I don't think I would pay what lux wants for it-it's just not quite as good as alu. When you really get ahold of a big FH with M2, you'll know what I mean. You will get spin, action and it will go where you want it to but it doesn't have that SICK, EXPLOSIVE power that alu possesses. It just does not explode off your stringbed like alu.

By all means, string it up and now that I think about it, you will likely enjoy it more than I since you like using hybrids. I don't know if I would treat it like a multi or not. This time of year, I'm using full alu at 51/49 because of the cold air. I did M2 at 52 and wish I'd done 54/52 or 55/52. It's got some power but it's quite controllable.

jcstennis
01-14-2009, 05:11 AM
^^^

H, i heard that it will be expensive, more than ALU... Yeah, i am still thinking which stick i should put it in... they all need restringing, so we'll see... maybe this weekend i will go out for a hit, feeling under the weather...

does the M2 move like a multi? and do you have the 17g or 16g?

PED
01-14-2009, 05:14 AM
I've got the 17g and so far it has not moved at all. I can't see paying MORE than alu but I guess Lux likes to charge $17 plus for their new strings.

wao
01-14-2009, 06:03 AM
^^^

H, i heard that it will be expensive, more than ALU... Yeah, i am still thinking which stick i should put it in... they all need restringing, so we'll see... maybe this weekend i will go out for a hit, feeling under the weather...

does the M2 move like a multi? and do you have the 17g or 16g?Not as much as a multi but more than a poly. It doesn't have the pop like a poly though it is powerful. Not being as stiff it IMO didn't generate as much spin on my top or slice as I have seen with BB or ALU.

GPB
01-14-2009, 06:16 AM
Okay, so I usually play with multi at 64, and would like to use the M2 the next time I string it up. How much should I reduce the tension to get a comprable stringing job? Down to 60? Less? Thanks for the review and comments.

Blade0324
01-14-2009, 08:54 AM
^ I would go about 61 which would be about 5% lower than your usual multi. It seems to lose tension a little faster than multi's IMO now that I have had it in my frame for about a week and hit with it about 4 times. Starting to lose some of the control it had when fresh.

GPB
01-14-2009, 12:20 PM
^ I would go about 61 which would be about 5% lower than your usual multi. It seems to lose tension a little faster than multi's IMO now that I have had it in my frame for about a week and hit with it about 4 times. Starting to lose some of the control it had when fresh.

K, thanks. I'll keep that in mind.

Is this string "meant" to be put in a hybrid? I mean, the prototypical hybrid is a stiff poly and a springy gut/multi, right? Would this hold its own in a hybrid, or is it engineered to play as a full set?

Blade0324
01-14-2009, 12:25 PM
That I'm not really sure of. I have only tried it in a full set as I figured that was the best way to get a good sense of it. I have another set that I also received to sample that I may hybrid using M2 in the mains and my normal Spiral Flex crosses to see how it does.

jcstennis
01-14-2009, 08:06 PM
I've got the 17g and so far it has not moved at all. I can't see paying MORE than alu but I guess Lux likes to charge $17 plus for their new strings.

yup... i heard $18... ugghhh!

DonBot
01-14-2009, 08:47 PM

I was interested in giving this string a try, but I was affraid it would turn to mush after 4-5 hours of hitting in typical luxilon fashion. I like sppp and ba for their ability to keep tension and stay playable for months. Ah heck I will string up a stick with my m2 sample and see how long it lasts, I will try and rate it.

PED
01-15-2009, 04:13 AM
^^I've got 5 hours on my m2 now and to be honest with you, yesterday was the best that it's played. It's ironic as it was only 40 degrees yet I was still getting nice depth and spin. Control was a tad off and they really are starting to move around but nothing like a multi.

Don Bot, I don't know if you will like this string but one thing I can guarantee is that it won't keep it's playability for months ;)

Fedace
01-15-2009, 08:20 AM
i found the review...finally. WOW,,looks like a awsome string...now i would like to keep it even..... How does this compare it with Kirschbaum Proline 2 ?? anyone ?

Kevo
01-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I hit for a little while today with this string. I have 3 frames also with full poly. One with Kirschbaum competition, one with Topspin CyberBlue, and now the 3rd has M2.

The Competition and CyberBlue are very close competitors. They both are on the softer side, with CyberBlue being a little softer. The both have good control and decent feel. I think Competition is a bit more durable, but also more expensive.

In any case, hitting with the M2 I didn't find anything that it was better at than my 2 goto polys. It's a decent string, but I didn't really get any more feel, no additional spin, no additional power. If this string is more expensive than $10 bucks, it's certainly not worth buying IMO. I think it's a gimmick that just doesn't seem to pan out. ALU is a very nice poly. Ace is a favorite of mine, but price/durability doesn't work out to well. The M2 just doesn't add anything to Luxilon line up as far as I can tell. I'll leave it in the frame for a while and hit with a few more times, just in case there is a break in period, but I am doubtful that anything special is going to happen.

Azzurri
01-18-2009, 07:02 PM
i found the review...finally. WOW,,looks like a awsome string...now i would like to keep it even..... How does this compare it with Kirschbaum Proline 2 ?? anyone ?

you made a promise to mail it out to someone...man.:evil::mad:

DizBoiDanny
01-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Azzurri, he didn't really made a promise. He said he WOULD. haha and the other guy was Zhou i believe. Said you don't need to send it along with the other string.

Azzurri
01-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Azzurri, he didn't really made a promise. He said he WOULD. haha and the other guy was Zhou i believe. Said you don't need to send it along with the other string.

he then offered to send the M2 to someone else. Fedace has no credit with me....none.

Blade0324
01-19-2009, 08:40 AM
So I have hit with this now for a total of about 8 hours on court. It feels like the tension drop I got has settled for now and it pretty stable. Actually during my last hitting session it felt really nice. Hit with it a couple of hours and what I noticed is that if I didn't take a pretty good swing at the ball I had some flying on my but when swinging harder it seemed as though the string was stiffer and balls didn't fly. I think I'm seeing what Lux is saying with more control on hard shots and softer feel on softer shots. Kind of and interesting thing really. Might actually be really good but we'll see if that stays. Going out to have another hit this afternoon so we'll see.

Nanshiki
01-19-2009, 05:54 PM
I liked how it hits on volleys, and groundstrokes, but it totally killed my serve.

This should be strung higher than a stiff poly like Cyberflash.

If I was going to try it out again, I would knock it up a bit.

DizBoiDanny
01-19-2009, 06:10 PM
he then offered to send the M2 to someone else. Fedace has no credit with me....none.

Oh, I didn't no. Sorry for interfering.

DizBoiDanny
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
So I have hit with this now for a total of about 8 hours on court. It feels like the tension drop I got has settled for now and it pretty stable. Actually during my last hitting session it felt really nice. Hit with it a couple of hours and what I noticed is that if I didn't take a pretty good swing at the ball I had some flying on my but when swinging harder it seemed as though the string was stiffer and balls didn't fly. I think I'm seeing what Lux is saying with more control on hard shots and softer feel on softer shots. Kind of and interesting thing really. Might actually be really good but we'll see if that stays. Going out to have another hit this afternoon so we'll see.

I kinda agree with you about the hit hard part. I had that experience this afternoon.

Azzurri
01-20-2009, 07:47 AM
will anyone be using the M2 as a cross?

PED
01-20-2009, 07:50 AM
Blade, you hit it on the head with the feel of the M2.

Azzurri, I'm not sure any value would be added to just using the m2 as a crosses. It's not soft enough to be a multi or syn gut, but what might be interesting is a setup with multi mains and an m2 crosses. Since it plays softer than alu or BBO, M2 might not saw through the soft mains as quickly.

I loved X1 mains crossed with CF but it just didn't last long enough ;)

Azzurri
01-20-2009, 08:11 AM
Blade, you hit it on the head with the feel of the M2.

Azzurri, I'm not sure any value would be added to just using the m2 as a crosses. It's not soft enough to be a multi or syn gut, but what might be interesting is a setup with multi mains and an m2 crosses. Since it plays softer than alu or BBO, M2 might not saw through the soft mains as quickly.

I loved X1 mains crossed with CF but it just didn't last long enough ;)

it seems like many pro's use a gut main and poly cross. would this be viable? I will be using some ISO soon, but I may also try the M2.

Jsa2u
01-20-2009, 08:11 AM
How was it on serve?

PED
01-20-2009, 08:26 AM
^^I think the gut mains with m2 crosses would be really nice. M2 is soft but it still offers some nice control and would should be a good pair for multi or gut mains.

Nanshiki
01-20-2009, 02:25 PM
M2 would be decent as a poly cross for a stiff poly main, but it doesn't have the kind of spin you want on the serve that you'd expect from a decent poly.

Also, I think it played its best for about the first 10 minutes and started to drop off after that.

Control on serve was very poor... but groundstrokes were good...at medium power.

To be honest, your probably better off using PSGD than this string.

I'm about to cut them out... I just strung it too low.

Edo
06-25-2009, 03:44 PM
Just played with this string and thought I might jump in with my thoughts:

first of all, i had finally found my perfect setup with tecnifibre black code strung at 23-22 kilos (on my kblade98's). However, a couple days ago I broke a string and the store where I string my racquets had run out of black codes, so I decided to try these out (23-22).

I must say, I played an hour yesterday, and had a very hard time getting my shots right. Couldnt control the ball, and the response from the stringbed was much more unstable than with the blackcode. However, today I played 2 hours, and I instantly felt I could get a much better control as well as power. The missing ingredient is the spin, because I cant even get close to the spin I get with the bc.

If I had to compare the 2 strings on a kblade 98 at 23-22, these would be the ratings:

POWER: Black Code: 5 1/2 - M2: 7

CONTROL: Black Code: 7 1/2 - M2: 7

SPIN: BC: 9 - M2: 6

EASY ON THE ARM: BC: 4 - M2: 8

DURABILITY: BC: 4 - M2: N.A. (yet)

gordonski
11-04-2010, 02:47 PM
What should i string this, i played with big banger original on 55/54 but i am looking for a thinner string so i am about to try this one.

scotus
11-04-2010, 03:09 PM
What should i string this, i played with big banger original on 55/54 but i am looking for a thinner string so i am about to try this one.

First make sure you get the genuine M2 Pro. Not some fake one from China.

Then you'd want to string it up at least 5 lbs higher than you would your Big Banger.

gordonski
11-04-2010, 03:33 PM
Allright! Seems allot tho but i can see that some people regret stringing it too low. I'm getting it from TW so no problems there.