PDA

View Full Version : Are Russians considered Asians?

RoddickAce
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Russia is in Asia, so are people of Russian descent considered Asians? o.O? Or are they Europeans or Eurasians?

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-05-2009, 05:09 PM
We call Russians... Russians.

They are eskimos.

Hartzy
01-05-2009, 05:10 PM
Part of Russia is in Europe as well. Ethnic Russians are considered European by stock.

Breaker
01-05-2009, 05:11 PM
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n365/zenechka/map_russia.jpg

ThA_Azn_DeViL
01-05-2009, 05:16 PM
http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n365/zenechka/map_russia.jpg

Nice Pic! Although you coulda laid low with the pink... ;)

Babb
01-05-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE

AH, MOTHERLAND! Sorry, but the picture up there made me think of this.

Nellie
01-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Russians will take great offense if you call them Asians.

oneguy21
01-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Russia is in both Asia and Europe; landwise mostly in Asia.

I don't know. I think Russians are white. There are some Russians who look as white as British people and some look even middle eastern. Idk. I'm not an expert on ethnicities/races.

YULitle
01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
Russians will take great offense if you call them Asians.

You need a qualifier... otherwise what you said is wrong.

I know of a Russian that didn't mind being called Asian, as he was from far east Russia.

RestockingTues
01-05-2009, 06:19 PM
I call Russians white people :)

Sentinel
01-05-2009, 10:26 PM
We call Russians... Russians.

They are eskimos.

HAHA ! (Mike, didja hear that ?)

Russia is not considered to be in Asia, sports wise. They participate in the European Champs. And are white ;-)

SystemicAnomaly
01-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Eurasians is probably more accurate than Asians.

We should make a distinction here. Are we talking about Russians as an ethnic group, an East Slavic group, or are we referring to citizens of the Russian Federation? Nonetheless, altho' a bulk of the land mass of Russia is in Asia, much of the population actually lives East of the Ural Mountains = Eastern Europe.

SystemicAnomaly
01-06-2009, 01:06 AM
After seeing this thread I couldn't resist listening to "Mother Russia", a tribute to Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn by the prog rock group, Renaissance.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujlrmKZIKw8 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujlrmKZIKw8)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13U3KfUnHY (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c13U3KfUnHY)

Duzza
01-06-2009, 02:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZMwKPmsbWE

AH, MOTHERLAND! Sorry, but the picture up there made me think of this.

LOL me too :D

mrDamien
01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
Does Sharapova looks like an Asian?

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
01-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Russia is in Asia, so are people of Russian descent considered Asians? o.O? Or are they Europeans or Eurasians?

Russia, the country is partly in Asia, some of it is not, and is made up of many people of different ethnicities most people recognize if they see the names like ethnic Russians, Ukrainians, Georgians, Cossack etc. But there are also over 90 indigenous tribes which people don't recognize as easily: Koryaks, Chukotkas, etc. and these are of Asian lineage.

Russians are a separate ethnic group than Asians. Many are of mixed heritage which would be called Eurasians. But most Russians generally consider themselves separate from Asian ancestry, and as Europeans of Slavic descent. Whether one is considered of Asian descent is whether they have Asian blood or not. Personally I'm Eurasian, mixed Russian (ethnic) and Asian (tribal) from the far east, Magadanskaya Oblast.

When people bring up the Sharapova thing again, she was born in what is considered Siberia, the Asian part of Russia, but her ethnicity (key word) is not Asian. That is very important in Russia: ethnicity. You can be born in Russia as a country, but not be ethnically Russian. Just like if you are born in Ukraine but are ethnically Russian, you will be called Russian. Ukrainians will not call you Ukrainian, not anyone will consider you that but someone who is not from the country and doesn't understand.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
01-07-2009, 08:11 AM
I call Russians white people :)

I thought that was funny when in the USA. They said, you are white just call yourself white. And I said but in Europe or Russia, for that matter, that doesn't apply at all. We were to ourselves by our ethnic background or country of origin.

Just calling someone white, a silly kind of thing based on skin colour, would mean nothing. You could then be referring to a Swede, a German, an Englishman, an Italian, a Bulgarian, etc etc....they are their ethnicity or identify with their country of origin.

There are people in Russia with a variety of skin tones and colour, facial appearance, blood lines, etc. We are referred to by ethnicity in general. In sports for example, when confederated team chosen from across Russia based on ability, then one would say playing for Russia team of course.

Racer41c
01-07-2009, 08:25 AM
In general, I think it's very dis-respectful to call some by a regional name like Asian or european. Of course if someone is less than 1/4 of any particular country (common in US, Europe) then maybe it fits.

I for one get pi$$ed when someone asks if I'm asian. My smart a## response is "can you narrow that down by a few billion please?".

I like the question above "does sharpopova look asian?" !!! Pretty much asking Rafael and Andy Murray the same question, yeah they look like brothers to me.:shock:

ollinger
01-07-2009, 08:38 AM
These are the questions that cry out to be answered. How about Central Americans (Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc.)? Are they on the continent of North America or South America????

Dedans Penthouse
01-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc. = North America.

Border between Panama and Columbia constitutes the North American-South American border.

WillAlwaysLoveYouTennis
01-07-2009, 09:14 AM
These are the questions that cry out to be answered. How about Central Americans (Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc.)? Are they on the continent of North America or South America????

I don't know for certain, but isn't Mexico considered part of North American continent? Then maybe these other countries would be considered so? I know for just area or region is concerned they are called Central American countries.

Hartzy
01-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Personally I'm Eurasian, mixed Russian (ethnic) and Asian (tribal) from the far east, Magadanskaya Oblast.

How do they treat you in Western Russia? I've heard some pretty appalling things about Russians in cities like Moscow and St. Petersburg attacking people from the Caucuses, Central Asia, etc.