PDA

View Full Version : what's the kick server and how to do it?

yoshiki
01-05-2009, 06:46 PM
always hear you guys talk about it but have no idea about it

and can somebody just give me some advice on how to do it?

thanks! :)

JustBeginning
01-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Pretty sure its when your serve bounces up nice and high due to the topspin you put on it. I'm not very good at it but I guess you're suppose to toss the ball above your head so you can come up over the ball giving it some spin.

pmacino
01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
Click Here for Good Explanation & Videos (http://www.fuzzyyellowballs.com/videos/index.php/list/991/Fundamentals)

yoshiki
01-05-2009, 11:03 PM
Pretty sure its when your serve bounces up nice and high due to the topspin you put on it. I'm not very good at it but I guess you're suppose to toss the ball above your head so you can come up over the ball giving it some spin.

thanks

that means kick serve = topspin serve(maybe add some slice in it), right?

GeorgeLucas
01-05-2009, 11:18 PM
A kick server is one who partakes in the execution of a kick serve

You can find them in places around town - make sure they are a kick server though; you don't want to mingle with their uncouth kin: the twist server

SystemicAnomaly
01-06-2009, 01:25 AM
^ Very amusing, GL.

thanks

that means kick serve = topspin serve(maybe add some slice in it), right?

Not everyone uses the term, kick serve, in exactly the same manner. One version of the kick serve, the topspin kick serve, is a serve with a heavy topspin component. This serve might have a bit of sidespin and spiral spin as well. Another version of the kick is the twist serve. This one will usually have a little more slice and will have a very strong spiral spin component to make it kick in the opposite direction.

certifiedjatt
01-06-2009, 07:42 AM
A kick server is one who partakes* in the execution of a kick serve

You can find them in places around town - make sure they are a** kick server though; you don't want to mingle with their uncouth kin: the twist server

*So, that means there is more than one person hitting the kick serve? Surely, you mean to say "a kick server is one who executes a kick serve" but you decided to complicate your life and others' by vomiting the word 'partake' in the middle of it all.

**How can more than one person be represented using 'a'? I'll tell you how: Improperly.

Your license to post mildly sarcastic comments has just been revoked based on grammatical grounds. You have two days to clear out your desk.

GeorgeLucas
01-06-2009, 09:25 AM
*So, that means there is more than one person hitting the kick serve? Surely, you mean to say "a kick server is one who executes a kick serve" but you decided to complicate your life and others' by vomiting the word 'partake' in the middle of it all.

**How can more than one person be represented using 'a'? I'll tell you how: Improperly.

Your license to post mildly sarcastic comments has just been revoked based on grammatical grounds. You have two days to clear out your desk.

I guess you just can't let people have fun. The situation I was referring to when I properly employed the word "partake" was a kick serve party in which a group of close friends come together and hit kick serves. It is clear to me that you have never been invited to such a party.

Under close scrutiny, your accusations dont hold. License re-granted

LeeD
01-06-2009, 09:41 AM
NO FUN !! This is the authorities and you are NOT allowed to have fun.
Topspin serves normally bounce up around armpit to shoulder high. Obviously higher if you're serving to a midget, and thigh high to YaoMing.
When you go for a kick serve, you are trying for higher bounce, higher arc, and changing up a serve the opponent already knows.
The kicks are used to get your opponent to hit a ball OUT of his comfort zone, so you have to practice it lots for variety.
Big key is lower strike zone than the topspin second serve, you arc the ball upwards with lots of sidey forward spin, at a slower pace than your normal second serve topspin.
You need to slower pace to allow the ball to go IN with the higher arc ball flight. Yes, you swing as fast as you can in control, but kick swings are generally slower than pure top swingspeeds.
I'm 5' 11", and I know 3 guys who can kick their second serves about a foot over my head when I'm standing at the baseline. They all happen to be over 6'5" tall, and not bad as tennis players.

certifiedjatt
01-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I guess you just can't let people have fun. The situation I was referring to when I properly employed the word "partake" was a kick serve party in which a group of close friends come together and hit kick serves. It is clear to me that you have never been invited to such a party.

Under close scrutiny, your accusations dont hold. License re-granted

brilliant comeback. i regret revoking your license.
kick serve party. lol!

yoshiki
01-06-2009, 07:08 PM
^ Very amusing, GL.

Not everyone uses the term, kick serve, in exactly the same manner. One version of the kick serve, the topspin kick serve, is a serve with a heavy topspin component. This serve might have a bit of sidespin and spiral spin as well. Another version of the kick is the twist serve. This one will usually have a little more slice and will have a very strong spiral spin component to make it kick in the opposite direction.

i am confused

so let's talk about the "KICK" first

what does it mean?

why we call it "KICK"

:)

LeeD
01-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Kick.
High arcing, maybe 5' above the net, lots of forward spin either twisted, topped or sliced, usually bounces up around head height against average players, most often directed out wide to the backhand side.
Just forward spin, can be 20 mph faster moving, swing with more rackethead speed than kick serves, flatter trajectory, you hit straight out rather than upwards, and used for most player's 100% second serves, usually around 70-85mph.
Why do they call a kick serve that?
Well, it bounces higher than a second serve, the ball arc's in a tighter trajectory higher over the net.
Should we call it "high bouncing forward spun" instead?

wihamilton
01-06-2009, 07:39 PM
i am confused

what does it mean?

why we call it "KICK"

:)

The serve "kicks" up and to the side, hence the name.

SystemicAnomaly
01-07-2009, 05:53 AM
i am confused

what does it mean?

Still confused? As Will H above says, it is a serve that "kicks" up. He also says that it kicks to the side -- this implies that a kick & a twist serve are the same thing. This is a very common usage (but not universal). To me, a twist is one type of kick serve. One that does not kick significantly to the side (in the opposite direction), is a topspin kick serve. As I mentioned before, confusion arises because not every one uses the same terminology -- "kick" serve is an ambiguous term. Refer to the following:

Types of Serves (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serve_%28tennis%29#Types_of_serve) (see 2nd paragraph)
Operation Doubles: What are "kick" serves? (http://www.operationdoubles.com/spindoctoringserve.htm#kick)

.What are "kick" serves?