PDA

View Full Version : Video: My Groundstrokes and Volleys, Please Look

tennisguyak
01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, I decided I would go out and finally record some of my strokes to post on here. This is just me lightly hitting in my driveway against a wooden board. I would really appreciate some comments/suggestions/constructive criticism, and I'll soon be posting a video of my volleys in the same session. I'll try to record some of my match play over the next several weekends as well.

Here are the forehands and backhands. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSb42o7120I)
Edit: Here is the video of my volleys. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cygv2dhkKg)
P.S. I'm aware there's text across the center of the screen. Unfortunately I wasn't aware that would happen when using a trial version of AVS editor, so just try to ignore it.

Thanks, Everybody.

[ GTR ]
01-06-2009, 02:45 AM
You look pretty good. I watched a bit and your footwork seems good even when you're only hitting on a wall. Solid strokes i think..

[osu]ilovecows
01-06-2009, 03:48 AM
To be honest, it's gonna be really hard to give you constructive feedback with just a video of you hitting against a board. However, from what I can see, it seems you understand the importance of footwork, which is good. There's something a little off about the takeback of your slice backhand, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Looks like you're wrapping it behind your back too much, so it looks a bit cramped. Also, try not to hit off your backfoot too much on your forehand. I know it's hard when hitting against a wall. Other than that, things look pretty solid. Given the small length of the board you're hitting against, it's pretty clear you have a good sense of directional control.

Can't wait to see real matchplay footage! And awesome garfield cat at 4:00. XD Looks like he could use some tennis hahha.

tennisguyak
01-06-2009, 04:54 AM
Thanks guys. Yeah, my slices have been a little funky lately. Do you think my take back on my forehand is too loopy? Because after I watched it several times, I think since my take back is so loopy I'm rushed through the stroke. Or it could just be that the ball is coming back quicker than it would on the court.

Azzurri
01-06-2009, 05:44 AM
It seems as if you are an experienced player. Because you have some epxperiences, you should be able to follow some advice that will be given to you or at least experiment.

The issue here is you are hitting off a backboard. Other than having experienced strokes, it tells us nothing. Anyone giving advice based on this video does not have a clue.

Get a video of you practicing (one from behind you and another from the side). Then take video of you playing. Try to edit the playing video and show us good and bad points (another words get rid of the down time). You will only need 5 minutes or so. But if you really want help, get better video.

Again, you seem to at least have abilities and can move well enough. In order for some of the people here to help you, properly, you will need a better video.

good luck and thanks for sharing!:)

Azzurri
01-06-2009, 06:02 AM
ilovecows;2980797']To be honest, it's gonna be really hard to give you constructive feedback with just a video of you hitting against a board. However, from what I can see, it seems you understand the importance of footwork, which is good. There's something a little off about the takeback of your slice backhand, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Looks like you're wrapping it behind your back too much, so it looks a bit cramped. Also, try not to hit off your backfoot too much on your forehand. I know it's hard when hitting against a wall. Other than that, things look pretty solid. Given the small length of the board you're hitting against, it's pretty clear you have a good sense of directional control.
Can't wait to see real matchplay footage! And awesome garfield cat at 4:00. XD Looks like he could use some tennis hahha.

How were you able to ascertain this?

tennisguyak
01-06-2009, 06:03 AM
How were you able to ascertain this?

I'm guessing he came up with that because the board is about four feet wide and I'm standing about 25 feet back and I could pretty consistently hit it.

Azzurri
01-06-2009, 07:01 AM
You were hitting a board that was 4 feet wide? How high?

There is no mention of this. I will be honest with you, a 4 foot board is pretty small target hitting from 25 feet away. Your strokes did not look that consistent.

tennisguyak
01-06-2009, 07:20 AM
You were hitting a board that was 4 feet wide? How high?

There is no mention of this. I will be honest with you, a 4 foot board is pretty small target hitting from 25 feet away. Your strokes did not look that consistent.

I don't know exactly how high up I hit on it. I usually try and go a foot and a half over what the net height would be but if you go to 4:18 in the video I have a shot from behind me and you can see the board. And yes my strokes aren't always as consistent as I would like them to be.

tennisguyak
01-06-2009, 07:25 AM
I've posted a video of my volleys here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Cygv2dhkKg).

EikelBeiter
01-06-2009, 07:27 AM
Too long a backswing on your volleys, but you have the touch to get good volleys.

smoothtennis
01-06-2009, 08:12 AM
What kind of wall is that? I noticed it looks like the ball comes back higher than a normal wall setup. Is that thing angled back some?

It does appear to be about 4 ft indeed.

You have a large loopy takeback - HOWEVER - you get your racket back early, so it doesnn't appear to affect your timing much. I would think against better players with more pace, you are going to want to reduce that loop significantly for better consitency. At least practice your forehand with a reduced takeback/loop and get comfortable hitting that way in addition to your loopier take back.

Azzurri
01-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I don't know exactly how high up I hit on it. I usually try and go a foot and a half over what the net height would be but if you go to 4:18 in the video I have a shot from behind me and you can see the board. And yes my strokes aren't always as consistent as I would like them to be.

ha ha...my mistake. I watched a little over 3 minutes. I just thought it was the same stuff. My bad. Yes, you have good directional control. I meant how high is the board...but yes, I agree you have good control.

Djokovicfan4life
01-06-2009, 08:50 AM
Wow, that's a HUGE swing as far as volley's are concerned! You need to ditch this bad habit as soon as possible. Take the racquet back with the rotation of your shoulders, not with the arm. This insures that you take it back the exact same way every time because the shoulder can only really take it back one way. With the arm the racquet can go pretty much anywhere. The racquet head should not go past your back shoulder when you take it back.

thejoe
01-06-2009, 09:02 AM
Wow, that's a HUGE swing as far as volley's are concerned! You need to ditch this bad habit as soon as possible. Take the racquet back with the rotation of your shoulders, not with the arm. This insures that you take it back the exact same way every time because the shoulder can only really take it back one way. With the arm the racquet can go pretty much anywhere. The racquet head should not go past your back shoulder when you take it back.

I agree. Just watch the Federer Monfils Roland Garros semi-final to show the problems that swinging too much on the volleys brings. Man Roger volleyed badly that day.

tennisguyak
01-06-2009, 09:28 AM
What kind of wall is that? I noticed it looks like the ball comes back higher than a normal wall setup. Is that thing angled back some?
It does appear to be about 4 ft indeed.

Yeah it used to be a bike ramp back when I was into that, so we just flipped it on its back and turned it around. I think its better than hitting off of a flat wall because it is at an incline and the ball comes up a little higher when I hit it instead of darting to the ground like with a regular wall.
Too long a backswing on your volleys, but you have the touch to get good volleys.

I agree. Just watch the Federer Monfils Roland Garros semi-final to show the problems that swinging too much on the volleys brings. Man Roger volleyed badly that day.

OK, so I've found something to work on. My coach did mention this to me several times but we never spent too much time on volleys since I'm usually playing from the baseline. But I'll be sure to work on that as soon as I can because I've got the school season coming up and I'll have to play doubles.