PDA

View Full Version : nuts and bolts ideas for new tennis program?

drop volley
01-05-2009, 08:36 PM
Would anyone please suggest online resources for practical nuts and bolts ideas to start from scratch a training program for middle school students?

for example: is a Lobster necessary? which kids do you put on which of four courts? how many hoppers are needed? what drills to use?

I have seen and know none of the players or their parents.

I've played tennis for over 30 years and am a USTA 4.0 to 4.5 depending on the region, but am not a teaching professional. yet.

TIA.

10s talk
01-05-2009, 09:00 PM
keep them busy..... multiple lines, baskets of balls, and KISS

m27
01-05-2009, 11:28 PM
1) movement (splitstep, crossover step, hop), court position, and the utmost importance thereof
2) stances (open, closed, neutral, etc) and the effects of each
3) strokes (backhand, forehand, serve, approach shots, volleys, dropshots, lobs)
4) percentage tennis and tactics

that's tennis

10s talk
01-06-2009, 07:36 AM
send me an email........ to many ideas to put here

drop volley
01-08-2009, 07:41 AM
send me an email........ to many ideas to put here

10s: what's your email? i'd send you a PM but disabled on this board........

CoachingMastery
01-08-2009, 08:57 AM
At the risk of sounding like I'm trying to promote my books, I did write Coaching Mastery for the very type of person the OP is.

Namely, it is a 400 plus page resource for all who teach or coach tennis, with 70 plus drills and example progressions on how to train large groups of players of all ages, as well as instructional chapters on how I've been successful in training thousands of players in a variety of venues.

There are also terrific websites that provide video clips of drills for all types of players. Obviously, I know TennisOne has some terrific examples of this as do other sites such as tennisplayer and fuzzyyellowballs and hi-techtennis.

Do a little web searching and I think you will find a lot of resources in addition to those which I've mentioned.

Good luck and best wishes on successful programs.