PDA

View Full Version : college chances. can you help me out?

timm
01-06-2009, 06:47 AM
hey guys. here is a short video clip i took from a practice match. can you tell me what you think my chances are in college tennis? i still have 1-2 years to work on. thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a83zFVle-aA

TheOverlord
01-06-2009, 08:40 AM
it's much better to post a video of where the balls go and not your swing. i would say yes you could join if you continue to practice, but i am not too sure of your consistency from just that video

LeeD
01-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Since you'll never make it as a head ball boy, you do have a chance in a couple of years for junior college for sure.
Can't tell any higher level because the ball is not coming at you consistently, we don't know where your ball lands, and you move back too often on your groundies.
When you hit that nice motion serve, and come to net, we need to see your volley and where it goes.
When you return what appears to be a normal second serve, we want to see you step INTO the ball and stroke thru.
I'd suggest tightnening up your whole game, as I'd suggest to most 15 year olds. They all play lazy and lackadaisical, as if they're just going thru the motions and don't care.
But you DO have one of the better service motions.

CTennis11
01-06-2009, 12:50 PM
As the others have said its tough to tell your level from that video, but I think your game seems pretty solid from what you can see. Your serve seems to be pretty big, and long as you maintain some consistency that should be a good weapon.

wensing88
01-06-2009, 01:06 PM
We can't tell you clearly from that video but, I'm guessing you like to serve and volley right. Thats not bad though one problem is that you slice to much on returning the serves. I don't know what level your opponent is but I'll say practice your strokes. I mean you can't just keep slicing when your on the base line when facing more skillful opponent. Though you do hit some FH and BH here and there but do it more so you can get better on it. Slicing won't get you to far unless your like Federer lol.

Storm_Kyori
01-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I have a questions hopefully that can get answered without me making another thread. Does playing USTA League prohibit you from playing college tennis? I have been lpaying league in order to get me up to speed before trying out for my college team.

MIGHTY MANFRED THE WONDER
01-06-2009, 01:35 PM
A little late to be asking now, isn't it?

kctennis1005
01-06-2009, 03:54 PM
We can't tell you clearly from that video but, I'm guessing you like to serve and volley right. Thats not bad though one problem is that you slice to much on returning the serves. I don't know what level your opponent is but I'll say practice your strokes. I mean you can't just keep slicing when your on the base line when facing more skillful opponent. Though you do hit some FH and BH here and there but do it more so you can get better on it. Slicing won't get you to far unless your like Federer lol.

ehh thats not entirely true....im a national level player and i played a match last wknd at copper bowl in arizona against a kid thats top 300 in the nation and beat him 3 and 1 hitting a slice the entire time....the kid had an extreme western grip so all i did was serve and volley and chip and charge with low slices....very effective in winning there. but its true against top, top opponents u have to be able to hit topspin

LeeD
01-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Agree slice is not recommended generally, but can be very effective up to and including 6.0 levels.
You just need perfect depth placements, you hit that ball oval, you can keep it 9" above the net on critical points with that much slice....oval ball, and you hardly ever miss against incoming balls from shoetop high to a foot overhead.
IF you have that kind of slice, stick with it.
I used to hit with a guy with that backhand. Old days for sure, before the full western grips. He was top A and just off the touring pro seeded levels.
TomBrown.

Mada
01-06-2009, 06:30 PM
You look older than 15. But that can be good =p, anyways; do you play for your highschool? If so, did you play on JV/V, and what number were you? You look pretty solid, but it would be better to be able to tell where all your shots were going.

Evry1hateslefties
01-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Hey what would you say my chances would be if I'm a 4.0-5.0 player who can consistently beat 4.5 and 5.0 players? I'm a smaller guy but I'm left handed and not to toot my own horn but my serve is pretty good. Again, not to toot my own horn, but I'm in excellent physical shape as well.:???:

kctennis1005
01-06-2009, 10:10 PM
Hey what would you say my chances would be if I'm a 4.0-5.0 player who can consistently beat 4.5 and 5.0 players? I'm a smaller guy but I'm left handed and not to toot my own horn but my serve is pretty good. Again, not to toot my own horn, but I'm in excellent physical shape as well.:???:

why does every1 say their ntrp? whats your junior national rank or sectional rank? ntrp doesnt mean anything really cuz it varies from section to section

Evry1hateslefties
01-06-2009, 10:25 PM
Some of the guys I play against are players from the local D3 or D2 college (D3 I believe)

kctennis1005
01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Some of the guys I play against are players from the local D3 or D2 college (D3 I believe)

whats the college called? and do u have play junior tournaments? thats what coaches look for.

FedererISBetter
01-06-2009, 11:45 PM
As people stated, the slicing has the be more aggressive and is overused... especially in some situations. 1-2 years is a long time, you can improve a lot. Youre a decent player, just need to perhaps be in some better compeition to know what you should and should not be. So my tip, play as many matches as you can... learn what works and ditch what doesnt work.. and learn to play smarter.

eeytennis
01-07-2009, 06:17 AM
hey guys. here is a short video clip i took from a practice match. can you tell me what you think my chances are in college tennis? i still have 1-2 years to work on. thanks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a83zFVle-aA

You could play college tennis in the U.S. now...heck, you could play college tennis at some schools even if you have the ugliest most inconsistent strokes. It all depends on what schools you want to go to. If you want to go to Stanford...then you need to improve a lot...if you want to go to a weak Division 3 school, then you don't have to be good at all. Why don't you tell us some schools you are interested in and we might be able to help you out more.

timm
01-07-2009, 07:19 AM
thanks guys for the comments, i will post a better video which shows ball placement and all that. hopefully i will get more detailed comments.
i am wary of the amount of slices i am hitting and have started gaining more confidence on topspin.

You look older than 15. But that can be good =p, anyways; do you play for your highschool? If so, did you play on JV/V, and what number were you? You look pretty solid, but it would be better to be able to tell where all your shots were going.

im actually 16 :P i play for my high school first team in australia.

Evry1hateslefties
01-07-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey guys I really honestly don't mean to interfere and swing the attention, but I was wondering if anyone had advice for me... the only tennis going on within 30 miles of me is Linfield College and Goerge Fox University. They are both D3 schools I believe. What would you recommend??? I've seen some posts from a few of you guys and you really seem to know what you're talking about. (Particularly KCTennis 1005; I've read the stuff with Kash... and that Marat d***** bag. You really seem to know a lot of people and ideas)

kctennis1005
01-07-2009, 09:31 PM
Hey guys I really honestly don't mean to interfere and swing the attention, but I was wondering if anyone had advice for me... the only tennis going on within 30 miles of me is Linfield College and Goerge Fox University. They are both D3 schools I believe. What would you recommend??? I've seen some posts from a few of you guys and you really seem to know what you're talking about. (Particularly KCTennis 1005; I've read the stuff with Kash... and that Marat d***** bag. You really seem to know a lot of people and ideas)

thanks for the kind words....is this the only tennis at all going on within 30 miles? like no one else to hit with? for college u can definitely expand your horizons and play elsewhere.

Evry1hateslefties
01-07-2009, 11:49 PM
Yeah I guess you are right on that one... I do compete in champs level tournaments and belong to
A club 45 or so miles away. I have 5 or so juniors that are somewhat
Accessable as well. Thanks for the advice